Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • 7 stanes dalbeattie area which are best..
  • karnali
    Free Member

going tomorrow for 2 days with the wife staying near dalbeattie, ae, mabie and dalbeattie all very close which are best or is there a good order to do them from easy to hard etc

many thanks etc

ampthill

I went last summer with the family. Mabie is the easiest of the 3 we did. I loved it teenagers thought it a bit tame

Kirroughtree red. Teenagers loved the challenge 11 year old was walking quite alot

Dalbeattie. Teenagers found the first third quite hard. But then loved the rest.

We didn’t do any black. The grading is not really the same as Wales

We road the reds in order of increasing difficuilty

Garry_Lager

Kirroughtree black would probably be the hardest as it’s quite long with loads of wee tricky features. Also the best IMHO.
    Dalbeattie is good – nice flattish and rocky trails. Some big features but they are all separated from the main red trail so are optional.
    Mabie is smooth and a nice ride – probably the prettiest as well with the trees. Nothing too exciting though and would be the easiest. You could take a novice MTBer round this I would have thought if they were fit.

Each of these is relatively flat so no real punishing climbs at all, although they each have short and sharp efforts.

Ae is hillier and pretty poor tbh. A bit dreary and having ridden it once I wouldn’t go back. Maybe it’s better if you get off piste but I’d be surprised if anyone really rated it just riding round the marked red route. It does have a (separate) DH piece at the end that’s popular.

ampthill

Forgot to say. All were top quality. The best trail centres I’ve been to

Bagstard
    Free Member

Out of those listed I would choose Dalbeattie, I spent a week there last year on a family holiday and stayed half a mile from the trail head. After riding the full trail it is fun just to session the skills area.

haggis1978

Forget Ae, it’s pants! And that does seem to be the general conclusion from other peoples opinion as well. Kirroughtree is a bit further away but still good. If you’re there for a few days it doesn’t really matter which one you go to first as they’re both good. Mabie has had some new berms added though so if it was me I’d be heading there first.

iainc

if the weather stays dry it’s worth heading up to Drumlanrig – closer that KT

richmtb

I’ll second Drumlanrig, great trail. Nothing too technical but still really rewarding.

Always had a soft spot for Mabie, its just a really nice day out on the bike. Again nothing too difficult but there is harder stuff there if you look for it.

Kiroughtree is a bit out of the way but worth the trip, I’ve only done the Red though

Dalbeattie I’ve never been a big fan of. Big obstacles aside it just doesn’t seem to flow. Lack of any real elevation is probably issue. The taster loops are good fun though.

Personally I like Ae, its more technical than the other routes but I can see why some don’t like it.

So if it was me I’d do Drumlanrig, Mabie and Kirroughtree and have a play at Dalbeattie if I had time

MadPierre

Kirroughtree and Dalbeattie are the best in my opinion in that order(doing all the black options).

Ae and Mabie are short so easy to do both in a day. Mabie is my favourite of the two.

simonralli2
    Free Member

If you need help deciding then tune in tonight as I will be premiering my new Mabie video 🙂

Mabie and Dalbeattie definitely improve when you add in all the secret natural stuff, and also Dalbeattie’s skills area has plenty of black stuff too to enjoy. With Ae the trick is to add in the Shredder!

t_i_m
    Free Member

Kirroughtree red/black is awesome. The black isn’t that hard*, it rides like a red but rated black due to the total red/black length.

*Only actual hard bit is the McMoab section, which is optional.

I concur with all the other advice above.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

The only technical feature of Ae is riding one handed whilst looking at your watch, hoping that the misery that is the red route there ends soon. Theres always haters for every trail centre but I’ve ridden a lot of trail centres and Ae is, by a loooooong way, the worst of them all. The Marin trail is brilliant in comparison.

jaylaz73

Ae has been improved lately and is even better than before. It’s a great trail, physically harder than other centres but imo more rewarding but you do have to pedal hard. I also like the fact its usually quiet.

rudedog
    Free Member

Kirroughtree is only 45 mins from Dalbeattie so not really out of the way!

karnali
    Free Member

ta

supertacky
    Free Member

Just back from a week in a campsite near Dalbeattie. The trail has some major diversions in place due to foresting but its still very enjoyable. superb rock features not to hard on climbs.
    Ae is by far the worst trail in the area unless your into downhill. Cafe / shop has closed down recently.
    Maybie, is a great wee trail although not very challenging since recent upgrades have smoothed out all the good bits.
    Kirro – is long and tough, very very good flow and great features.
    Drumlanrig, is entirely different to all the others, natural and beautifull.
    If i only had two days – Dalbeattie and Drumlanrig with Kirro in third due to the extra drive getting there.

have fun!

toons
    Free Member

Simonralli2 how do you incorporate Shredder into the red route?

simonralli2
    Free Member

It’s very simple. After the zig zag berms on Omega Man, before the very last bit, you carry on up the fire road for just a few metres, There is a map on a post to show you how to ride to the top. You then come down the Shredder, which is very ridable on a hard tail and awesome fun, and that throws you out at the same point where you left the red, so you can treat the second half of Omega Man as a continuation of the Shredder, which is more of a continual downhill really, compared to the first half of the Omega Man which also includes riding uphill.

After all those new berms on Omega Man, I am sure there is a dip and then the singletrack turns into a wider forest road. You just take that up. The bit I am talking about is the bit where the push up path from the bottom of the Omega Man ends, if that makes sense. When you look at it all on a map, you should see what I mean.

I love the Shredder. It’s really steep but you can roll the jumps. I am not saying you will, but if you are a wheels on the floor type rider it is still awesome!

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Did Mabie, Ae, Drumlanrig, Dalbeattie last week in 2 days for first time. (live near gisburn and rivington)

mabie = pap
    Ae = loved it – climbing through trees and feels longer than it is. Loved the last 2-3 miles.
    Drumlanrig – black routes were awesome. It was dry and is rooty as foooook.V tech on a scott spark and rode everything !
    Dalbeattie = best of the trail centres listed above IMO – some sections were really good, hard to ride fast which was a good challeng.

Was amazed at how different they all were in such close proximity.

If I went back I would do Dalbeattie ( even though a section was closd) and Drumlanrig. Would never bother with mabie again – too boring and easy.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

To be honest i wouldnt bother asking about whats best, just choose one and give it a ride, if you listen to some on here you would never get out your bed because everything seems to be crap.

All of the Stanes are very different and have some great sections and their own challenges.

Alcopop
    Free Member

Horses for courses and all that Kirroughtree found it a bit bland
    Mabie very good Drumlanrig great fantastic natural trails brilliant setting
    but my favourite by far is Ae fair bit of climbing but fantastic descents
    new berms on the mid section are brilliant not as busy as the other 7 stanes
    some of the above comments may indicate why …but hey we cant all like the
    same stuff and id rather it stayed a bit quiter so in hindsight forget Ae its crap 🙄

flyingmm

My ritual involves friday pm dalbeattie red/black. Camp at kippford, wander down and sink a few pints at the anchor by the waterfront before heading to a cafe in dalbeattie sat am for bacon roll in preparation for the black at kirroughtree – the all round best 7 stanes route but just watch out for hissing sid and the jabberwocky! Some dude posted this: http://vimeo.com/9488396 – great flowing sections interspersed with awesome natural rocky features. You wont be disappointed, but both are on the trickier end of the spectrum.

footflaps

Just ridden Kirroughtree today (for the nth time) – I think it’s one of the best trails in the UK. After that, I’d rank Dalbeattie (yesterday’s ride) then Ae for trails near to Dumfries.

A photo taken today in between the showers

Liz at Kirroughtree by brf, on Flickr

and on one of the steeper bits:

Liz at Kirroughtree by brf, on Flickr

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Ae – Shredder & final descent good but the rest is a bit mundane and doesn’t flow well.

Mabie – Its really grown on me and after Tweed, probably my second favourite Stane, flows well and great for an XC blast.

Dalbeattie – Some really great riding again but some bits feel like technical features separated by fireroad.

Kirro – The king of flow. Used to love it but its just so out the way, I find myself stopping at Mabie or Dalbeattie instead.

Drumlanrig – Ace, just ace and stunning scenery too. Like your favourite ride in the woods on steroids.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Each to their own but was up there last week and did all of them.

AE I thought was a waste of time.
    Mabie is great and the added bonus that decender bender has been re-worked so you now have massive berms to ride with little double kickers.
    Dalbeattie I thought was OK but too much fireroad and a little flat.
    Kirroughtree is by far the best if you want a decent length ride with climbs and lots of technical areas. Black is the one to go for.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Just a few words on Dalbeattie.

It has one of the best skills loops with plenty of tough granite slabs to mess around on. These can be easily missed if you have not been before and are thinking the skills loops is just for kids to get going on.

Yes, it maybe flat (ish) but it’s lovely 🙂

31st March by simon ralli, on Flickr

It has a lot of secrets which more than make up for any closures

IMG_3864 by simon ralli, on Flickr

And the other thing that people can miss is the loop you can add on at the bottom for a much longer and scenic ride along some ace coastal singletrack. Those of you who are fit will do this loop in around an hour, hour and half, but for me there are some brilliant places to stop for sandwiches and cake etc.

August 16th by simon ralli, on Flickr

IMG_0017 by simon ralli, on Flickr

IMG_0031 by simon ralli, on Flickr

But obviously, it’s horses for courses and not for everyone!

I really like Ae, but then I do understand those who find it a little dull. Maybe it is more of a red route but for me there is still a lot of singletrack to enjoy, and it has an “out there” feel to it. Like Dalbeattie, Ae Forest has much to explore for some big day’s riding.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Only done Kirroughtree and it’s pretty decent in parts – the singletrack after Talnotry Hill is by far the best bit I reckon. The only problem I have with it is that the whole thing seems a bit disjointed when you do all of the red and black, as fireroad sections seem to split it up at regualr intervals.

It’s still good fun though and I’ve only ever seen two other riders when I’ve been out on the trails there mid week, so you can get the place to yourself.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Simon we need to start the Ae appreciation society.

All we need to do is petition for a new bit of singletrack to link Rabs slippery to Grannies Green luv and avoind the long bit of fire road.

Grannies green love down to the river and back up must be one of the best sections of singletrack in any trail center.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Grannies green love down to the river and back up must be one of the best sections of singletrack in any trail center.

I don’t know. It seems most riding gods of STW can do this one handed while eating a sandwich 🙂

I sometimes feel I live in an alternative reality to some people here. If they do not enjoy the centres, well that is absolutely fine! All I ever meet when out there is people enjoying getting out on their bikes. These centres are designed for the majority of people, and that includes me where it’s all about the peddling and finding drops and things that have yet to be conquered 🙂

Ae will get better again of course when the cafe reopens, and also I guess people do not know that it makes a great place to base yourself for some wild riding and peaceful road riding once you are out the other side of the forest if that is your bag.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Grannies green love down to the river

Have they not sanitised a lot of that in recent times though?

daveb
    Free Member

Kirroughtree is excellent and well worth a visit
    Dalbeattie also very good
    Mabie is a great trail but make sure its all opened up again, I was there a few weeks ago and a lot of it was closed
    Ae is worth a visit if you have already done the others but not one I would rush to.

Another trail that is nearby is Drumlanrig, a quite excellent trail that I would rate alongside Kirroughtree red/Black but very different as it feels much more natural.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Maybe there is some confusion here? They have smoothed out the bit in the woods, but not the descent down to the bridge. What you lose in terms of fun for expert riders, you gain in terms of making it more popular for the masses.

richmtb

I’ve never understood the lack of love for Ae. It seems to always get slated when the “which 7 stanes” question comes up.

The third section of singletrack (Bran Burn Bash i think) is a bit meh and it could do with one less section of fireroad but its still got some really nice sections and is a bit different to the other Stanes. The Shredder is great fun and I persoanlly find the black boardwalk section a bit of a mental challenge (even if its not really that difficult)

Is it perfect? No, but we must be seriously spoiled if we think its not worth riding

daveb
    Free Member

Richmtb – I think your last comment hits the nail on the head really – We are spoiled in that area with some brilliant trails, both natural and trail centre. Ae for me is pretty poor compared to some of the other trail centres in that area but rated on its own is probably a pretty good place to ride.

Each to their own though and I can see why some people may like that TC 🙂

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

Mabie is all open rode it last night with 14 year old nephews who thought the new improved berms amazing

simonralli2
    Free Member

Hi Fotherington – how was your ride yesterday? Did you do it no dabbing?

Northwind

They’re all good but Ae and Dalbeattie tend to get a bit of stick for not being quite as good. Both have great bits but end up feeling a bit like hard work in places whereas Kirroughtree and Drumlanrig (which isn’t a Stane) just shine.

So I’d do Kirroughtree’s fantastic black, and Drumlanrig’s superb black. But if you don’t want blacks then kirroughtree’s red is merely good whereas Mabie’s red is pretty damn nice.

But they’re all good.

Spin
    Free Member

When I’m down that way I’ll do Kirroughtree and Dalbeattie and miss Mabie and Ae as I find them a bit boring.

Drumlanrig is ace though not one of the ‘7Stanes’

Trekster

bigdugsbaws – Member
    Grannies green love down to the river

Some “maintenance” took place a year or so ago by a group of volunteers. This was at the instigation of Rob from the bike shop after a survey done to gain people’s thoughts on the trail. GGL and Bran Burn Bash were both highlighted as being “too rough”
    There should have been a linl between Rabs and GGL but lack of resources and time running out on the project meant Ae never realised its potential, probably never will given the current climate.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

It is such a shame that the link is not there, it would transform Ae. The new section at burn brash bash is great now, to me it was a bit on the bumpy side, but then I ride a hard tail.

The trail centers around D&G are such a great resource and bring money into the Area, still i just cant see the council putting money into it.

Cycling in all its forms should be right at the forfront of what D&G plan for the area.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘7 stanes dalbeattie area which are best..’ is closed to new replies.