Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 7 stanes question
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

How many consecutive days could (should) we ride the various stanes before we get bored?

Thinking kirroughtree, Gt, Innerleithen.  Maybe Mabie too.

EDIT:

#typoscorrected

Liftman

Stanes

matt_outandabout

“stages”

It isn’t an Enduro…

I would say to go see more of the place on natural trails, while you’re in the country.

rene59
    Free Member

Depends on how much you like riding bikes.

Trekster

Day 1: Starting with Kirroughtree then head back to do Dalbeattie.

Day 2: Mabie, then Ae.

Day 3: Drumlanrig and over to GT

Day 4: GT, Inners

Day 5: Enduro trails at 4…..

sanername

I spend a lot of time in D&G and think Trekster is pretty much on the money, although I’d be dead if I tried to do the Kirroughtree black and Dalbeatie in one day. So I’d be:

D1 Kirroughtree

D2: Dalbeattie and Mabie

D3: Ae and Drumlanrig

ETC.

seosamh77
    Free Member

rene59

Depends on how much you like riding bikes.

Premier IconTrekster

Day 1: Starting with Kirroughtree then head back to do Dalbeattie.

Day 2: Mabie, then Ae.

Day 3: Drumlanrig and over to GT

Day 4: GT, Inners

Day 5: Enduro trails at 4…..

defo not that much! 😆

baboonz
    Free Member

Depends how much of each stane you want to ride and preference for marked or unmarked.

You could easily spend 2 days at GT and 2 days at Innerleithen.

Northwind

The big question is, are you just doing the trailcentres or will you explore offpiste? I could easily spend a week riding in/around Glentress and Innerleithen without getting tired of it (and tbf I wouldn’t even do the inners red). And Ae really comes into its own with the downhill and offpistes.

(and I wouldn’t do Dalbeattie and KT in a day; I could physically do it but it does not sound like fun. Mabie is short and charming though)

And yep Drumlanrig. Not a stane but fantastic.

Trekster

Is this not the crux of the matter re the DBMinS debate next Monday evening @GT, “Enduro” trails. I see more and more posters recommend riders/visitors to ride the off piste/Enduro trails rather than the bread and butter “tourist” trails. ie “don’t waste your time” riding x/y/z trail, go ride Enduro…..

dryroasted
    Free Member

Yeah off piste stuff on the 7 stanes is the best in Europe, everyone wants to ride it

turboferret

I spent a week riding and camping doing all the 7 Stanes in a week a few years ago.  Trekster was kind enough to meet up with me for a ride at Mabie I think, and then night-riding again in the evening.  There was quite a bit of variety between the various locations, so I didn’t get bored doing 1 a day.

Cheers, Rich

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Is this not the crux of the matter re the DBMinS debate next Monday evening  @GT, “Enduro” trails. I see more and more posters recommend riders/visitors to ride the off piste/Enduro trails rather than the bread and butter “tourist” trails. ie “don’t waste your time” riding x/y/z trail, go ride Enduro…..

Since its inception a few years back, I’ve yet to see any evidence that DMBiS are anything other than another toothless quango John.

They now seem to be more interested in keeping us ‘orf the land’ than actually representing us, more like a stick for landowners to keep us plebs down where we belong, using the litigation and erosion arguments. Some local woods here that were harvested 5 years ago and then left are horrendous looking, yet I’m the bad one, for daring to open up some tracks through their spruce deserts.

I’d always recommend the more recent additions to the tweed valley over the trail centres for the simple reason that I enjoy them more, that’s all.

bigjim

the best in Europe

ehhhh hmmmmmm you need to go the alps!

andrewh
    Free Member

As above, could spend days at GT and Inners if you venture into the off piste stuff. Add in the Golfie,Yair,Bowhill,Thorneylee and the links and there’s easily a week within a ten mile radius.

daern
    Free Member

Slightly different tack, but my son and I had a lovely ride round from Glentrool over towards Clatteringshaws and beyond earlier in the year, in some of the nastiest Easter conditions I’ve experienced for many years. Great fun though and a bit different from the constant hunt for gnarl that’s a bit “So Enduro” for my personal liking. If you like a bit more distance with your riding, there’s some nice scenery and you’ll probably be the only people up there, which is always nice.

I can’t promise you the sleet and rain that we had, but the scenery will be every bit as good – perhaps better as you might be able to see a bit more of it! 🙂

frogstomp

Daern – likewise.. I’ve enjoyed my few days at GT / Inners this week but the Gypsy Glen ride across from GT has been a highlight.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘7 stanes question’ is closed to new replies.