• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by JonM.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 7 speed shifter options
  • deejayen
    Free Member

I’ve got mid-90’s SLX or LX 7 speed shifter/brake lever combos with Alivio derailleurs. I haven’t used the bike for years, and I think the shifters aren’t working properly. I took it to a bike shop for them to free them up and lube them, but it still feels like the lever is about to break, and the shift doesn’t work very well. I need to fit V-brakes anyhow, so I’m thinking about buying separate brake levers and shifters. What are the shifter options for 7-speed? It has a triple chainset. I did wonder if something like an older XTR 8-speed shifter would work, or do I have to keep to 7-speed? I’m going to be fitting a pair of swept back handlebars. I’d consider anything – bar end shifters, Rapidfire, Gripshift, or thumb shifters, but would like something of decent quality.

cynic-al
    Free Member

IIRC 8 speed is very slightly narrow (Sheldon will confirm) and just about works.

Only low end stff is available new now, so go to ebay etc.

danielgroves
    Free Member

I think I have a SRAM X4 7-Speed shifter if you’re interested?

Pretty sure you’ll have to stick to the 7-speed stuff. Different leverage ratio on 8-speed. I’m sure someone will come along and correct me shortly if I’m wrong.

EDIT: Someone beat me to it, sounds like you’ll get away with 8-speed.

rootes1

have you tried new cables or first checked that the cables have not seized up in the layoff?

as for the shifter.. these work well and are not expensive

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55296

or SRAM still do mrx 7 speed gripshift.. the altus trigger is better though

rootes1

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Have you tried new cables yet?

deejayen
    Free Member

I did wonder if it was the cables, but the bike shop is usually pretty good, and reckoned the shifters were faulty. I’ve just joined Retrobike and seen some nice 7-speed shifters which would be ideal if they’re still available. Thanks for the info on the 8-speed. It sounds like it’d be safer to stick to 7-speed. I remember at the time I always wanted to upgrade, but I think I was told I’d need to replace just about the whole drive-train and maybe even the rear hub.

Andy-R

I’ve used Shimano 8 speed shifters with a 7 speed cassette. Worked fine for me.

andytherocketeer

I think it’s the shifters that go. I’ve had 2 8sp SLX ones from the same era just pack in, where you can only properly engage 2-3 positions. That’s with cables disconnected, but pulling gently on the inner. Replaced with 8sp Alivio (basically all that’s still available now), and they are pretty dire too tbh. Impossible to adjust properly.

edit: my plan was to offload the bike for €50 rather than upgrade it to be properly usable. Same with my 7sp road bike. Cost to update is more than the price of a decent off the shelf bike.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

A common problem with 10 or more year old shimano shifters is that the grease becomes glue like and that stops the tiny springs on the pawls from doing their job. If that’s the case then a strip and re-lube could be all that’s needed. I’m sure there’s an awful lot of shifters that have been binned over the years for that reason.

smokey_jo

I’ve got some suntour express 7 speed underbar shifters in the shed if you are interested.

Yours for postage and a beer.

Email me if interested.

andytherocketeer

MB is probably right, but mine have appeared to be largely plastic inside, and impossible to strip (rivets rather than bolts). Can open them up, but can’t dismantle.
    Have seen maintenance vids on youtube where they tend to totally degrease them, rinse out, then when totally dry, spray with a thin aerosol grease.

robdob
    Free Member

You’ll be needing some of these.

Perfect. 🙂

JonM
    Free Member

I did something similar recently on an old Dawes. I kept the 7-speed cassette but stuck on some Alivio 8-speed shifters. Works absolutely fine.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘7 speed shifter options’ is closed to new replies.