Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • 6music's britpop season
  • DezB
    Free Member

Just for fun.. (ok, who else is sad enough to keep all their tickets?!)
    Some of my Britpop gigs:
    Pulp & Elastica was one of my best gigs ever – but only because I got to shake the hand of Joe Strummer, who was there watching the bands 🙂

Anyone remember Salad??

tenfoot

Anyone remember Salad??

I have a Salad album in my collection somewhere. Haven’t played it for years. Think I’ll dig it out.

I think the best song they did was on the Help charity album. They did a cover of Dream a little dream with Terry Hall.

sc-xc

The thing about Blur that people forget is that they had been going for years before the whole Britpop thing. Pulp and Blur were OK the rest were shite and Oasis especially so. So writes a Stourbridge Greebo.

You must have caught the 2 Pathfinder JB’s gigs that Blur played then? Apparently the first one was a turning point in their career!

cheers_drive

I had a few of tickets from those tours too. The Supergrass and Blutones one actually said ‘Super Grass and the Blue Tunes’ on the ticket for the Coventry gig, and then they cancelled anyway.
    Best one I went to was The Longpigs. Not really Britpop but their music sounds good now and Richard Hawley the best male solo artist of the last 10 years.

Northwind

Ah, loved the Longpigs.

I like the idea that Oasis’s sound is now dated. It was dated when it came out, that was kind of the point?

RustySpanner

‘It sounds dated’ = ‘Music I banged on about endlessly at the time that I now feel embarrassed about’. 😀

codybrennan
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScBuPPou5pE[/video]

djglover
    Free Member

I was at uni 94 – 97 and I was very surprised to hear pulp @ no 1 in the 6 count down ahead of the Verve and Oasis. Not saying it’s not worthy of top 5 but no 1???

gogg
    Free Member

Countzero, I beg to differ. Technically, The Stranglers were part of the 70’s pubrock scene, so they were to punk what pulp were to Britpop. A lot of the other acts you mentioned were “New-Wave” rather than punk. Pure “punk” acts weould be more like the Pistols, Clash, Damned, Adverts, Slits, Buzzcocks, Ramones. Punk was dead by ’77, with a number of bigger acts having “sold out”, split up and the new wave acts were in the ascendency. having siad that they sold out, not many of them weren’t in it for the money…
    I’m off to see the Damned in 11 days! Happy Days.

tenfoot – Salad were good, I have Drink the Elixir album and it still gets played regularly. I particularly like the song “your ma”.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlOY9AwhnPw&feature=kp[/video]

djglover, I’d put Pulp at No. 1 over Oasis and the Verve every time.

athgray
    Free Member

I loved Oasis at the time, but really can’t listen to them now apart from Cloudburst (B side to Live Forever). Favourite band from before britpop, that carried right through, but often dip below the radar are The Charlatans.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Ah, loved the Longpigs.

Jeeeeeeeesuuuus Christ, i’m on fiiiire

fervouredimage
    Free Member

The thing about Blur that people forget is that they had been going for years before the whole Britpop thing. Pulp and Blur were OK the rest were shite and Oasis especially so. So writes a Stourbridge Greebo.

Indeed, some of the Seymour stuff, which formed many of blurs B-sides are fantastic. They were a lot less refined during the Seymour days but still good.

tenfoot

tenfoot – Salad were good, I have Drink the Elixir album and it still gets played regularly. I particularly like the song “your ma”.

Just dug out the cd, to play in the car tomorrow morning. I’d forgotten it was a limited edition package with a 24 page colour photo book.

Bet it’s worth, ooh at least a fiver, on ebay.

EDIT: there’s one for £1.30 Buy it now 😆

CountZero

Countzero, I beg to differ. Technically, The Stranglers were part of the 70’s pubrock scene, so they were to punk what pulp were to Britpop. A lot of the other acts you mentioned were “New-Wave” rather than punk. Pure “punk” acts weould be more like the Pistols, Clash, Damned, Adverts, Slits, Buzzcocks, Ramones. Punk was dead by ’77, with a number of bigger acts having “sold out”, split up and the new wave acts were in the ascendency. having siad that they sold out, not many of them weren’t in it for the money…

Well, yeah, particularly with hindsight, but when I was going to see them, it was all ‘punk’, but I was never a punk, just a guy with 501’s, converse baseball boots, and a leather bike jacket, which meant I kind of fitted in regardless, and US and UK punk was different to an extent. I’ve always kinda struggled with musical genres anyway, I like what I like, a label is for someone else to worry about, although it does make it a bit easier to find in the racks!
    But I do take your point, although I still think that Punk/New Wave has left behind a far greater legacy of good music that is still being played thirty seven years on, compared to how much is still played from the Britpop period; even the better stuff, Elastica, Kenickie, Lush, Echobelly, which, to use your point, aren’t really Britpop, rarely get played even on 6Music, sadly.
    Thinking about it, Talking Heads* first album ’77, while sitting in the right timeframe, certainly isn’t punk, far too arty, same with Television, right time, but too clever by ‘alf, really. 😀
    Damn, could play games with music genres all night, and just go round in ever decreasing circles, it largely comes down to semantics, I guess. Look at Billy Bragg, really he’s a folky, but was considered sort of punk to start with, and what about John Cooper Clark, he’s a poet!
    *And they had Dire Straits as support when I saw them! At least Television had Blondie and the Cortinas… 😉

grievoustim
    Free Member

Elastica, Kenickie, Lush, Echobelly, which, to use your point, aren’t really Britpop, rarely get played even on 6Music, sadly.

Of course all those were bands were Britpop. It wasn’t a “sound” – it was a period when lots of British guitar bands suddenly got signed, got in the top 40 and got featured on the cover of magazines.

anagallis_arvensis

I think what you are missing is that Britpop wasn’t a type of music like Punk it was marketing label. The rise of Oasis and the movement of Blur and Pulp into the charts was simply a marketing drive when some of the indie bands from the previous few years 1990-1994 or whatever, like for example The Wonderstuff, had a few minor chart hits. It meant the record labels saw some worth in backing a few bands. The success of Nirvana and REM in the States and over here helped too.
    And the legacy we are left with?

**** Coldplay!!!

gogg
    Free Member

**** Coldplay!!!

And the tumbleweed blows through the deserted concert venue.

edhornby

Menswear (just think about how utterly boll0cks that band name is) were a manufactured band, the album deal was there and songs already fleshed out before the band was picked out. People think they were crap because they were

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘6music's britpop season’ is closed to new replies.