Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 68/73mm BB Spacers, are they just to give chainline ?
  • weeksy

On the Parkwood i can’t fit the 42T ring onto the outer of the spider as the chainline is horrible. It’s grindy, graunchy, etc. I can’t fit it on the inner as there’s no clearance.

So, assuming i’ve got 2 drive side 2.5mm spacers, could i lob one over onto the non-drive side and then run it on the outer of the spider, giving me a better chainline ? I know it’s ‘unusual’ but would be nice for Zwifting to run the 42T for a few rides.

oldnpastit

I alters the Q slightly I guess.

It’s what I did on my FlareMax where I had a similar problem caused by trying to run a non-boost wheel.

It hasn’t caught fire yet, but that might just be due to all the rain.

djflexure

Yes

weeksy

Cheers, experiment tonight after work then

convert

I have an XT triple trekking on my winter bike and have two of the spacers on non drive side. Idea was the bike is mainly used in top two chainrings and it made chainline better for them (at the expense of small ring). Works for me though I do notice me left knee being further from the top tube than my right so the Q change must be a tiny bit noticeable.

richmtb

Slight thread hi-jack

On a 1 x 12 set up, where should the chain line up with the cassette?

On my set up the chain is straight when its lined up with the smallest sprocket, all the other gears have the chain bent inwards, quite dramatically on the biggest sprockets.

This seems wrong to me, should i space the chain ring inward so it lines up more with the middle of the cassette

walleater

They allow the ability to use the same bottom bracket on either 68 or 73mm shells (which is probably stating the obvious). The ‘extra’ spacer is to allow the use of an E-type front derailleur. Which is why technically that spacer should be on the drive-side to get the ‘correct’ chain line. Of course in reality you can run that one on either side if you need to play around with chain line.

Chain line on 1×12 is just fundamentally terrible but manages to work well due to sprocket design.
    That said, I think it was Wolftooth that had a good article that gave a run down on chain lines and using non-Boost rings on a Boost bike.

simondbarnes

Would you not be worried about your feet not being centred?

djflexure

By a couple of mm?

brownsauce
    Free Member

should i space the chain ring inward so it lines up more with the middle of the cassette

ideally , yes.

weeksy

Fail anyway, removing means the crank hits the chainstay

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘68/73mm BB Spacers, are they just to give chainline ?’ is closed to new replies.