Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 661 evo pads vs 661 kyle straits
  • Highland28
    Free Member

Am looking to get some new knee pads for when I am on the trails, I have so solid knee/shin pads but i spend all my time clipped in now and the pads I have are not all that comfortable for all day riding.
    So are the evo worth the extra £20 ish that I can get them for, are they significantly lighter than the kyle straits and more comfortable.
    I have used Kyle straits for a few day rides before.

Cheers

fbk
    Free Member

I find the Kyle Straits comfoy enough (I’m looking to get some new ones as we speak).
    A mate did have the Evos and said they were a little more comfortable but didn’t really work that well if you actually fell off – I think the stuff inside them is very good for blunt impacts but not for anything sharp (rocks etc)

Highland28
    Free Member

Yeh I have read a few review from people that have said the same, I think I might save my £20 and spend it on something else for the bike as well. I just can’t understand why the charge that much more for something that isn’t considerably better!?

fbk
    Free Member

I guess to a lot of people new/more expensive=better, plus the theory sounds good. More suited so winter sports though probably?

empy
    Free Member

I tried them both on for size in LBS the other day – very different fits. I found that the Evos collected a lot of material round the back of my knees and basically didn’t fit that well. Same sized Kyle Straits very comfy and should do the job – although they did start to fall apart after only one ride 😡 ie check for fit before purchase.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Raceface Dig are very similar to Kyle Straits apart from a much more durable outer shell fabric on the sides. My KS died in a year as the sides got torn, Digs are still fine after about 9 months.

cookeaa

Evo owner here. I’m very happy with them but then I got them in a sale a while ago for £25, not sure I would pay RRP for them.

The fit is different to the KS they seem to have more “slack” in the middle if that makes sense so I can see why they bunch behind the knees for some people. They are better ventilated so longer rides in them are less sweaty but obviously not as cool as no pads.

The key bit is of course protection, in this respect I’ve not had any problems with them they’ve taken plenty of tumbles on to rocks and roots and my knees have been fine having said that I don’t think I have fallen on anything sharp with them so can’t comment on how they would deal with that, no better than the KS I’d imagine.

If you can try them out first and they fit and find them on sale get them otherwise I’d go for the KS on a VFM basis.

Ultimately I don’t think the RRP for the Evo pads is down to materials probably the licencing for the “d30” padding.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’ve got some large Kyle Straits for sale if you need some?

jedi

scott grenade pads for the win

Lucas
    Free Member

My couple of year old KS pads have started to move about and rub – I presume this is due to wear, stretching and washing. A 5 hour ride on Saturday has let me with grazes on top of both knees which were pretty painful at the end of the day. They were very comfy when I first go them so I think you have to replace them fairly frequently

blur3810
    Free Member

i have both the evo and ks and never ride without one or the other . I bought the evos from merlin in a sale last year and had the ks for about a year before . If i were to purchase one to replace these i would go for the ks as wearing them on alternative rides the ks feel more comfortable and have stronger protection and are still light .

Northwind

Not too convinced by the Evo pads, it doesn’t seem like a good use of the material. My Evo shorts are fantastic, they wear just like standard lycras til you fall off… But for kneepads, it’s not hard to get the flexibility and comfort you want from conventional foam pads so there’s no need for the cost and drawbacks of the Evo material IMO. Kyle Straits are all-day comfortable.

Or if you can find the Scott Grenades for a good price I’d listen to Jedi’s recommendation, they’re a Kyle Strait with a harder cap. I wouldn’t pay the extra for that personally but they’re good kit.

fbk
    Free Member

Those Scott pads look interesting but they are expensive!

chakaping
    Free Member

Worth considering Fox Launch Pro as well.

Highland28
    Free Member

Cheers lads, I am watching a pair of evo’s on ebay that should fit, so if they are cheap I will go for them but otherwise I think I will get KS seen as I know them best and have tried them before. I hadn’t realised about the fox and scott pads though so I will keep an eye out for them going cheap.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘661 evo pads vs 661 kyle straits’ is closed to new replies.