Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 650b wheels in 26" Pikes?
  • ade9933
    Free Member

Hi – Considering future options. One of my bikes is a 456c which happily take on the 650b wheels but considering some new forks which will have to currently work with 26″ wheels.

Does anyone know if the 26″ Pikes would take 650b wheels?

Thanks,

A

creamegg
    Free Member

It may depend on the tyre but my guess would be no as there isnt much clearance to start with

honourablegeorge

Why not just get the 650 Pikes? Futute proofed

ade9933
    Free Member

Thanks Mr Egg.

Valid question George. Simple reason is the couple of hundred quid price difference.

One of my buddies is running fox 34’s from a 26er with 650b’s but not heard of anyone doing it with the pikes…

ade9933
    Free Member

oh… and other reason is that I think the x-fusion forks do have simple adapters to change them over so ideally I’d like the pikes but for 2 – 300 for a future proof fork I would probably opt for the the wider options presented by the x-fusions.

honourablegeorge

Are X-Fusion that much cheaper?

Where can they be had for 2-300 less?

Northwind

Tyre clearance isn’t generous on the Pikes. You could probably fit a very small 650b wheel and tyre in, but then Rockshox would come and take your Pikes back.

stoney
    Free Member

What Northwind said…. 😉

Running 650 Pikes with Maxis Minion… there is no extra room…. ❗

deadkenny
    Free Member

c456, wanted Pikes and was toying between 26″ Pikes but considering that I might go 650b in a year or two, get 650b Pikes for the c456 and live with wrong geometry until I upgrade the frame, or just splash out on new 650b forks, frame and wheels.

The bargain 26″ Pikes from Alltricks.fr solved my question and would stick with 26″ wheels.

Well, then I had a dilemma of needing new hub for the 15mm through axle, and ended up with new wheels anyway. The amount I spent overall, maybe it wouldn’t have been much more to just go full 650b frame, fork and wheels 😀 . But I do love my c456. Just haven’t done with it yet.

ade9933
    Free Member

Hey George – I think they gap is that much if you look for 650b forks. 26ers the gap is much less.

… if you find a bargain on the 650b Pikes Dual position – do let me know 🙂

Thanks for the useful info Northwind and Stoney.

deadkenny – yes similar thoughts to that. I also have an Orange 5 26er which the forks would go on first but long term I’m thinking 456 or it’s replacement…

I already have the 15mm axle wheels on the 5 so not so much of an issue there.

Decisions, decisions, options, options…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

One of my buddies is running fox 34’s from a 26er with 650b’s but not heard of anyone doing it with the pikes…

not sure how much the 34’s have changed (there are 2013’s) but it’s tight

2.25 ardent, HRII won’t go at all.
    Is it just the lowers that are different on the 650b pikes?

ade9933
    Free Member

Thanks. There was a thread on this and I don’t think there was a definitive outcome. I think people thought it was the lowers but that if you switched you would change the dual position travel from 130-160 to 120-150 or something like that.

james
    Free Member

as illustrated above, remember just because it’ll just fit beneath the arch on the lowers, doesn’t mean it won’t foul the crown on the uppers on full bottom out?
    Or at least I seem to remember reading somewhere its possible with some forks

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Also worth remembering that proper 650b forks have a different offset from 26″ forks. I’m currently selling a set of X-Fusion Sweeps on eBay if your interested email in profile.

ade9933
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

Found them on ebay. not quite what I’m looking for but good luck with your sale.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

No bother just thought I’d make the offer

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘650b wheels in 26" Pikes?’ is closed to new replies.