Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • 650b Spicy – conclusively faster says Nico
  • aracer
    Free Member

For those who can’t afford a new bike with 650b wheels there is always http://www.digitalepo.com/

jamj1974

If you’re seriously into racing people from the internet then I reckon it’s worth the upgrade you are a bit sad if buying a bike to beat people you don’t know seems a sensible and important thing to do.

Think I’ve fixed that for you… :mrgreen:

Northwind

b45her – Member

some one should tell dan atherton about this second because he chooses to race on a 26″ wheeled prototype rather than the new 650b force.

Eh, the proto that Dirt covered this month, which is the one he raced in Italy, is 650b. But it’s also got a fair number of other differences from the Force (most noticably, the head angle isn’t from 2007)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

So a man who is sponsored by a company declares it’s new product is better than the last and the 650 is faster (cause thats what we want to sell Nico)

Well thats a massive shock who would have thought that it would be by such a massive margin (which as pointed out is well within the massive range of error)

jimjam
    Free Member

b45her

some one should tell dan atherton about this second because he chooses to race on a 26″ wheeled prototype rather than the new 650b force.

He raced a 650b bike. His 16 year old team mate rode a 26″ wheel and beat him.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

This whole thread…

An exercise in pointless bollocks…

The only useful contribution was this:

I rode a 29’er, 650b and my 26’er back to back and I was equally as slow and unfit on all three.

That sums up the vital differences in the 3 – **** all.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think on the consumer side there is a desire for some sort of better mousetrap/magic bullet – a wheel size between 26? and 29? that will combine all the positive attributes of both into one bike that will do everything. That desire is a bit naive, but people go down that road all the time.

Mike Ferrentino, Santa Cruz

Brainflex

so just for clarity, every angle was the same? weight, tyres, tyre pressures, rotational mass, suspension components, weather, etc? Nothing was different apart from wheel diameter?

aracer
    Free Member

I’m still thinking that what we really need is a wheel size in between 26″ and 650B which combines the positive attributes of both. Something you can fit in your current 26″ frame and forks but with all the advantages of a larger wheel size. Fortunately such a wheel size which is almost exactly half way between the two is already available and is even in relatively widespread use (I have a couple of pairs of wheels that size in my garage already).

I give you 650C – I understand various companies are already scrapping their 26″ and 650B inventory and tooling up massively for 650C ready for launch in 2014. Remember you heard it here first.

b45her
    Free Member

Dan Atherton, the spear point of GT’s Enduro team, swore off 650B wheels at first, but after helping to dial in the geometry and ride of the new 150-millimeter-travel Force, he changed his mind. Atherton says, however, that he will continue to develop the 26-inch wheel prototype enduro GT he uses on the racing circuit.

The words of GT bicycles themselves, looks like the claim that he races a 650b in dirt were more marketing guff.

source http://www.pinkbike.com/news/GT-2014-Four-models-of-the-new-Fury-DH-and-Two-Trailbikes-650B-S.html

butterbean
    Free Member

He rode a 650 at the first round of the EWS, also rode a modified carbon Forcewith 650b wheels at the UKGE.

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb9596183/p5pb9596183.jpg

He raced a 650b bike. His 16 year old team mate rode a 26″ wheel and beat him.

He also used flat pedals & dual ply tyres. The kid must be an animal.

zbonty

All this proves is that the marketing men at the bottom of the hill had a 1 second plus delay in hitting the stopwatch when timing the 26″ bike’s run.
    Bit like the scientific races they have on Top Gear.

fatmax

I rode a 29’er, 650b and my 26’er back to back and I was equally as slow and unfit on all three.

For 99% folk on here that sums it up.
    I like the Ferrentino quote, very honest for someone in his position.
    The Lapierre press release made me laugh – if 1sec in nearly 3mins is all that they can claim, then they are clutching at straws i.e. next to no difference.
    Nowt against 26, 27.5 or 29, just love the way that folk look for a justification. Just get out and ride…

Northwind

b45her – Member

The words of GT bicycles themselves, looks like the claim that he races a 650b in dirt were more marketing guff.

Eh right. You’re just choosing to believe one line of marketing over another, because you like one of them more. Meanwhile, the pics of the bike he actually rode are of a 650b. But hey, that’s just marketing guff right!

mattjg
    Free Member

Presumably a 650b is a bit easier to ride up fire-roads etc than a 26, what with “big wheels rolling faster”. That’s not timed in an enduro format event, but if the rider’s arriving at the top fresher or with more energy, and there is no downside to riding the 650b down, why not go with it?

Where’s the downside?

chakaping
    Free Member

Believe it or not I wasn’t trying to pour scorn on 650b bikes (though I’m not rushing out to buy one either).

I just think it’s a refereshingly honest marketing move – and if there’s anyone I’d trust with figures like that it’s Nico. He’s well known to be quite precise.

I guess they don’t HAVE to push it too hard though, if its the only AM bike they sell then we’re not going to have much choice if we wanty a new Lapierre.

Northwind

mattjg – Member

Presumably a 650b is a bit easier to ride up fire-roads etc than a 26, what with “big wheels rolling faster”.

Perhaps. Or perhaps the (small) extra weight counteracts the (small) wheel size difference. Or maybe it’s all too small a difference to care about.

mattjg
    Free Member

Or maybe it’s all too small a difference to care about.

Could well be. I’m surprised people get so steamed up about it myself.

FWIW I can see how 650b makes a lot of sense for this kind of bike, for a typical rider (rather than a pro). On the other hand I’ve never ridden one so that opinion’s not actually worth very much …

sweepy
    Free Member

I will get home 25 seconds faster
    [pillock mode]
    a 2hr ride is a 2hr ride.
    you will go further rather than get back quicker
    [/pillock mode]

Then you will have gone past your house, you will have to turn round and go back and it will actually take longer. Now where are your gains.

Northwind

mattjg – Member

Could well be. I’m surprised people get so steamed up about it myself.

TBF that’s exactly why people get steamed up about it 🙂

NormalMan

[Cynical mode switched on]

Anyone else looking forward to those new 26″ wheels being marketed in about 3-5 years time?

Press release along the lines of ‘lighter, stronger and more agile’ or something.

[Cynical mode switched off]

I’m off to ride bikes!

maxtorque

Other links suggest the Spicy might have dropped to only 150mm rear travel due to the larger wheels? I think i’d rather have 26″ and the full 160mm please ;-(

roverpig

Sounds sensible. If you are going to move from 26″ to 650b wheels I’d rather a drop in travel than increased chainstay length.

honourablegeorge

All it shows is that if you want a new complete bike, 650 is worth considering because there’s a small increase in performance

And if you have a load of perfectly good 26″ gear, then you’re not missing much by continuing with it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

All it shows is that if you want a new complete bike, 650 is worth considering because there’s a small increase in performance no measurable difference in performance that anyone would stand up to some proper analysis.

The numbers quoted are not significant, not conclusive they are in the noise.

There is however one way to improve your speed and results. Get out and ride more.

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

I think honourablegeorge is bang on..

I really don’t understand all the p**sing and moaning about this 650b thing. There’s acres of discussion over the suspension performance of this fork or that fork. A new fork comes out that’s un-quantifiably better than the last and everyone’s happy – but a new wheel size? oh no. it’s “marketing bollocks”.

Disc brakes were overkill – marketing man selling you stuff you don’t need
    suspension was overkill – marketing man selling you stuff you don’t need
    10spd was overkill – marketing man selling you stuff you don’t need
    etc etc

All pretty handy things now. And people, in general, want stuff they don’t really need. Companies, in general, want to sell stuff.

If this wasn’t the way, we’d all be riding around on the MTB equivalant of this:

Now, ridgid singlespeeders aside, no one wants that.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

All it shows is that if you want a new complete bike, 650 is worth considering what you will increasingly be forced to buy because the industry has collectively decided that 26″ is dead, even though there’s a small no real increase in performance.

Junkyard
    Free Member

10spd was overkill – marketing man selling you stuff you don’t need
    etc etc

I think that is the issue – how many people do you know who got rid of all their 9 speed drive train just to get 10 speed?
    I dont know one who did as it offered next to nothing just like tapered top tube or rear skewer. It is such a marginal gain it wont persuade you to upgrade just for that though yo may want it on a new bike.

So they forced new bikes on us so we have to upgrade ..1 second for a world champion standard rider is no reason to force a new standard on us all as it is at best a negligible gain [ if you ignore the poor control in the “study”

as for claiming if we dont embrace progress we will be back on 1930 technology it is just a non sequitor

Some advancement is real some is just for money]
    Getting rid of 26 ers for 1 second is overkill

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

All it shows is that if you want a new complete bike, 650 is worth considering what you will increasingly be forced to buy because the industry has decided en mass that 26″ is dead, even though there’s a small no real increase in performance.

Yep – just like they force you to buy bikes with disc brakes. what arse holes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You can buy non disc brakes/wheels but I think we can safely assume we can show a performance advantage for them over alternatives without using a pro rider to do it [ assuming i trust the measure and i dont for the reasons mentioned above]

it is not the same thing at all

Can you persuade me I need a 15 bolt through over QR or over 20 mm bolt through

Will i really notice my taper head tube like i will notice discs brakes v rim in the wet for example

it is marginal and IMHO and IME unnoticeable by most riders unlike suspension or brakes.

aracer
    Free Member

Disc brakes were overkill – marketing man selling you stuff you don’t need
    suspension was overkill – marketing man selling you stuff you don’t need

Your argument might work better if you picked things where there really is no noticeable difference in performance. Or things which were actually driven by the marketing men. Or are you suggesting that in 10 or 15 years time we’ll be looking back and saying that 650B really is a huge improvement over 26″ and I don’t know why we were so cynical at the time 🙄

sprocker
    Free Member

Unless you are racing why do we need to go any faster. It often really hurts when I fall off now if I go quicker it’s just going to hurt more. On that basis I have just ordered a 26″ hardtail frame which I will likely sell as antique next year.

dukeduvet

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

26″ Bike armageddon – stockpile rims, forks and tyres now!

I headed over to retrobike for a rest from wheel size debates and found someone had posted a 650b pace hardtail. No escape!

My bikes will be right at home in retrobike soon at this rate…

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

What would you like them to do? Sit on these marginal improvements because they don’t think people will really notice? Some sort of co-op with a panel of judges deciding if the general consumer will benefit from this enhancement or that. But then some people can notice the difference between 15mm and 20mm – do those people get to buy it – perhaps they need to pass a test? I’d really like to know what the other option is!

Fact is that they aren’t holding a gun to your head forcing you to buy the new stuff. If people don’t want them, they won’t buy them.

ahwiles
    Free Member

sprocker – Member

Unless you are racing why do we need to go any faster. It often really hurts when I fall off now if I go quicker it’s just going to hurt more. On that basis I have just ordered a 26″ hardtail frame which I will likely sell as antique next year.

for me, i’m not using my wagon-wheels to go faster per-se, but the little bit of extra grip often means the difference between riding through a section, and getting off to walk after a slip-stall.

i’m crap a riding bikes, but even i can find/exceed the point where a tyre lets go – techy climbs are an obvious example, it doesn’t take much more grip to make a noticeable difference.

you might as well ask: ‘unless you are racing, why do you need to fart about with tyre pressures?’

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

Your argument might work better if you picked things where there really is no noticeable difference in performance.

OK – perhaps a bit extreme.

Oversized stem / bars – how’s that?

QR vs bolt thru rear ?

Syntace 142 rear vs 135 bold tru?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

maxtorque

ahwiles

for me, i’m not using my wagon-wheels to go faster per-se, but the little bit of extra grip often means the difference between riding through a section, and getting off to walk after a slip-stall

You say this, but how do you know the “extra grip” is down to the wheel size? Unless you go back, fit 26″ wheels and ride the section EXACTLY the same, then you just don’t know.

Everytime I’ve seen someone clear a section that previous people have stopped on, it’s because they are a better rider…..

mattjg
    Free Member

Everytime I’ve seen someone clear a section that previous people have stopped on, it’s because they are a better rider…..

But maybe someone who walked it on bike A might ride it on bike B. It’s a personal experience, what other people can do isn’t really relevant.

discoduck
    Free Member

What happens in another few years when a second or two is gleened from another “new thing” ? That could be say a 3 second advantage over winning or losing, one things for sure if the riders train as they do throughout the winter for the start of the race season and are putting in their all I for one would want to see them pushing the boundaries even if it was a second !

Competing at the highest level is hard graft, not just in biking but in anything…….. Look how much the motoring industry has improved though F1 & 24hour racing, stratified fuel to optimise economy so less fuel carried = less weight = less fuel used…… This trickled into the mainstream motoring manufacturers in various guises but no one moaned half as much about tht as folks are about 1/2 an ” on a bike wheel

It’s obviously a SIZE Matters thing !

Maybe it matters and maybe it doesent but one things for sure !
    You can’t stop progression at the level that some of these manufacturers pour into advertising !

It’s got to be a good thing, and if it isn’t well we can all get one of them Dandy Horses !

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘650b Spicy – conclusively faster says Nico’ is closed to new replies.