Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 650b+ frame/fork options – moon on a stick please
  • nemesis
    Free Member

I’d quite like to get a ‘proper’, lighter b+ frame and (rigid) fork. One option is a direct from China one (I’ve bought direct before) but it’s got Boost fittings and I really want:

– Clearance for 650b+ 3.0 tyres and ideally 29er ones too (though not big 29er ones)
    – ‘Standard’ hub design – ie QR/15mm/20mm at the front and ideally QR at the back though non-Boost through axles could be considered.
    – Probably aluminium (or carbon though that’s going to be China then) – my Swift is great but with the B+ wheels, it’s not particularly light
    – Gear hanger
    – Available in XL or at least with a 25″+ top tube
    – £400 ish for frame/fork

So, what’s out there? I suspect for the price, not much…

cokie

Only available as a full build, but this ticks all other boxes;
    Charge Cooker 1 Midi

unknown
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those and really like it. The QR was a bonus for me as I can swap in a set of 29er wheels I already had. Well worth £800 I’d say (although mine’s on bike to work).

mrmoosehead
    Free Member
    nemesis
    Free Member

Any other suggestions?

siwhite
    Free Member

Sonder Transmitter?

johnnystorm

siwhite
    Sonder Transmitter?

Which would be perfect were it not boost, thru-axled and doesn’t take a 29er wheel. 😉

jameso

Ramin 3+. Non boost, geo for 29 or B+.
    Bikes on the way, F+F possible later. XL has a 25.5″ TT. Hubs are convertable Novatecs in case you want to swap wheels with your 29er.

siwhite
    Free Member

Which would be perfect were it not boost, thru-axled and doesn’t take a 29er wheel.

I ride a 10 year old Cannondale, and I’m not even sure I know what Boost is. Just trying to help….

singlespeedstu

If you want to run a 3″ tyre in the rear with gears you might struggle with chain rub unless you go Boost.

nemesis
    Free Member

Good point. TBH I’ve been pretty happy with my 2.8 tyres on relatively narrow rims so I don’t think it’s going to be an issue though.

cokie

Jameso, when is that coming out?! 😯
    Prices and spec options? Was going to buy a Ramin as a hack, but would like to wait for a B+ option.

Rik
    Free Member

If you want to run a 3″ tyre in the rear with gears you might struggle with chain rub unless you go Boost.

I wasn’t aware that was the reason for boost, I thought Trek invented it to allow stiffer wheels, hence the wider hub she’ll, that meant the chainline having to move out by 3mm on the drive side. This in turn ment short chainstays and big tyres clearance was also a benefit.

Didn’t think you’d get chain rub with 142×12 rear with a none boost chainline with 3 inch tyres? Hence why that Pinancle still works.

scotroutes

Depends.

Is it “really” a 3″ tyre?
    What width is the rim?
    Are you running only 1x up front?

Rik
    Free Member

Like the Pinacale above which is 1x up front and appears to have proper 3.0 WTB Bridger tyres. Can’t see the rims but I’d want to run 45mm scrapers

Hooter
    Free Member

Funny, I’ve been googling around for the same thing, tho would also pay up for (budget) Ti if it was out there. What Chinese option were you looking at nemesis?

jameso

Pinnacle’s got a 2.8 Trailblazer on the back, Bridger up front. Rims are Scraper I45s. There’s room for a 3.0 at the back but it gets tighter and a double would mean the chain’s a bit too close to the tyre. Works fine for 1x and keeps the wheelset x-compatible with more 29ers currently out there. I guess it’ll go Boost in future but for now, didn’t see a strong reason for it at this RRP level where it’s meant as a cheaper way in to B+ or a try-out and a winter 29er project base, a simple bikepacker etc.

nemesis
    Free Member

Hooter – something like this though from Miracle Bike as I’ve been happy with my previous experience with them.

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32518203168.html?tracelog=storedetail2mobilesitedetail

It’s boost though.

I’d only ever run 1x so double compatibility not necessary

mccraque

A bit over budget but I went for a Cotic Solaris. There’s no way a 3.0 tyre is going in the back though. I’ve got a boost front end and 3.0. Am actually glad I’ve a 2.8 in the rear as is still grippy but rolls faster than I would expect

What about an on one parkwood plus?

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about a parkwood but they’re no lighter than my Swift and from memory they’re reliant in a headset that seems to be fairly expensive. Plus I want to build it rigid and I’m not sure that’d work well on a parkwood

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘650b+ frame/fork options – moon on a stick please’ is closed to new replies.