Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 650b+ and Schwalbe Pro Core?
  • BadlyWiredDog

Just wondering if anyone’s tried B+ tyres with a Schwalbe Pro Core set-up. The current situation with B+ seems to be that they’re being built light, which means iffy sidewalls and loads of pinch-flats. I’m guessing the combination of higher air volumes and relatively low pressures don’t help much either.

It seems like an ideal scenario for using something like Pro Core to eliminate the pinch puncture problem while keeping air pressure low enough to give optimum grip and float.

I know it’s heinously expensive, but then so is repeatedly destroying rear tyres in the Peak – three of them now. Anyway, just wondering if anyone’s tried Pro Core or a ghetto version on B+ tyres and if so, how it worked.

honourablegeorge

I think ProCore has a limited range of rim widths that it suits – not sure a 40mm internal width will work with it

Huck Norris might help.

Edit – tell a lie, comment from Schwalbe on PinkBike says max width is 40mm.

Procore can easily installed on any rim from 23mm-40mm internal width without any modification

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/schwalbe-procore-review-2015.html

BadlyWiredDog

Yeah, I saw that, but then I found someone on mtbr.com saying that they were running it successfully on rims with 50mm internal width. Given that brands always seem to be conservative with their recommendations, I’m thinking an extra 5mm shouldn’t be a big issue.

It also seems like a good call for expensive carbon rims.

honourablegeorge

Would imagine as the rim gets wider and wider it’s hard for the inner core to protect the rim – it would get flattened out and stretched. 10mm above max would be a lot.

Procore has supposedly been problematic on carbon rims too.

will100
    Free Member

From running a bike with pro core (albeit 27.5) it seems like you’ve asked 2 separate questions there. Pro core will help preventing pinch flats. It won’t however stop you from destroying tyres. I’ve put cuts in a the sidewalls of a couple of tyres whilst using pro core.

nixie

Go tubeless and don’t get pinch flats. Doesn’t help with the side walls though.

BadlyWiredDog

From running a bike with pro core (albeit 27.5) it seems like you’ve asked 2 separate questions there. Pro core will help preventing pinch flats. It won’t however stop you from destroying tyres. I’ve put cuts in a the sidewalls of a couple of tyres whilst using pro core.

It’s pinch flats that are destroying the tyres – low pressures, high volume, light-ish carcasses mean that you repeatedly hole the tread. Mostly rocks round here are relatively rounded, so while thin sidewalls eventually wear through to the underlying fabric, they tend not to get slashed.

Would imagine as the rim gets wider and wider it’s hard for the inner core to protect the rim – it would get flattened out and stretched. 10mm above max would be a lot.

To be fair, it’s only 5mm above the max width which isn’t that much. What are the ‘problems’ on carbon rims? I would have thought it would work pretty well in theory.

stumpy120
    Free Member

What problems on carbon rims?

BadlyWiredDog

Go tubeless and don’t get pinch flats. Doesn’t help with the side walls though.

As above, I’m running tubeless, but the tyres aren’t tough enough to hack it. The high air volume seems to mean that even with higher than optimal pressures, the rim bottoms out too easily. If you up the pressure again, the problem is that you lose the benefit of the high volume. so why bother going plus.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘650b+ and Schwalbe Pro Core?’ is closed to new replies.