650 plus tyre options ? .. whats the go to 2.8 tyre ?

Home Forum Bike Forum 650 plus tyre options ? .. whats the go to 2.8 tyre ?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 650 plus tyre options ? .. whats the go to 2.8 tyre ?
  • stumpy_m4

Currently running a wtb trail blaster 2.8 on the back of my Ramin 3+ and finding it utter rubbish in any form of gloop or mud, any better tyres in 2.8 ? … may be able to squeeze a 3.0 at a push ?

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

I was running FatBNimble on the rear for a while but it lacked any sort of grip (in a comedy way).

A Nobby Nic (3.0 in my case) has put things back to normal.

Premier Icon aikon
    Subscriber

I ran 3.0 Rocket Ron last summer but found it a bit wide and slippery when it got muddy, I’ve run Nobby Nic 2.8 all winter and really can’t fault them, great grip & on a bike designed for 3.0’s (Felt Surplus 10) there’s plenty of clearance.

Premier Icon ir_bandito
    Subscriber

Running 27.5x 2.8″ Nobby Nics on my Codeine and they’re not at all bad.
    I had 29×3 Dirt Wizards on my Krampus and they’re awesome in the mud. Now got Chupacubras and they not.

Dirt Wizards ftw

tymbian

Is there anywhere dirt wizards don’t work? And they’re not cheap are they? £90ea

tymbian

I’ve a fsr Turbo Levo on order and was think of swapping the front 3.0 Purgatory grid for a 2.8 Minion DHF. I not quite sure what to put on the back.

Premier Icon cnud
    Subscriber

Got 2.8 HR2’s on my Levo at the mo and they’ve been great in the thickest of gloop. Ran Purgs all summer no prob but may stick a WTB Ranger tough on the back for next year. Mate runs 2.8 Nobby Nics and they’ve been fine in the mud also

alterego123

Got 2.8 minions front & back. Cant fault them in any conditions

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

Don’t all 2.8 tyres explode at even the sight of a small rock?

tymbian

Alterego123…2 x DHF’s or dhf and dhr2

legend

singlespeedstu – Member

Dunno but your bank balance certainly explodes every time you have to buy one.

tymbian – Member

I’ve a fsr Turbo Levo on order and was think of swapping the front 3.0 Purgatory grid for a 2.8 Minion DHF. I not quite sure what to put on the back.

Looks like you already have a good rear tyre there

Premier Icon muggomagic
    Subscriber

The only thing you might want to consider is that a 2.8 maxxis is a lot smaller than a 3.0 purg. I have a Stumpjumper 6fattie and the BB is already pretty low and having a smaller pair of tyres isn’t going to help. I’m going to wait for the 3.0 HR2s to arrive and see how they size up.

sv

WTB Ranger on my Stooge, tough version though as the light version one got a cut on its second outing…

The sidewalls feel very robust and happy to run lower psi.

Edit: just under 70mm on 45mm rim.

Premier Icon ir_bandito
    Subscriber

2.8″ Nobby Nics not exploding on rocks this weekend:

jimwah

Nice pic ^^

I bought & fitted a pair of 2.8 WTB Ranger Comps for £20 from PlanetX, sidewalls do look like they could explode on a rock but I’m running tubes & +20psi for now… we’ll see.

Had a 3.0 Purgatory up front for a while, which felt like a monster truck wheel in comparison, even on a 27mm rim.

Premier Icon muggomagic
    Subscriber

I’ve been really impressed with the Nobby Nics. Good grip in pretty much all conditions, reasonably priced, the snakeskin casing had been tough enough for me (apex casing is available now) and they are properly sized.

Subscriber

2.8″ Nobby Nics not exploding on rocks this weekend:

I don’t believe you.
    I read online that there was a video or something that proved they explode if you look at them hard.

Premier Icon nemesis
    Subscriber

2.8 NN at the rear with big old me on top has been fine including a rather bumpy weekend at Afan

sv

jimwah – Member
    Nice pic ^^

I bought & fitted a pair of 2.8 WTB Ranger Comps for £20 from PlanetX, sidewalls do look like they could explode on a rock but I’m running tubes & +20psi for now… we’ll see.

Had a 3.0 Purgatory up front for a while, which felt like a monster truck wheel in comparison, even on a 27mm rim.

That’s what i had, £20 wasted! Think they were old stock as the decals are different on the new one.

jimwah

Cheers for the heads up sv, I’m going to roll the dice on these but will have a spare tube and maybe something to patch a rip with just in case! It’s mostly bimbling bridleways and forest routes I ride so I might get away with it.

CRC have Onza Canis in 2.8 for £80 a tyre.. in skinwall 8) Would it be wrong to run a pair of tyres that cost more than your frame? 😛

stumpy_m4

As above , ive just bought some rangers comps to try 🙂
    well worth a tenner

tymbian

Just ordered 2.8 Minion DHf and DHR2. Will let you know..

frazchops

Anyone know where to buy 2.8 Minions?

nemesis – Member
    2.8 NN at the rear with big old me on top has been fine including a rather bumpy weekend at Afan

I found them good tyres in general, but the hissing sound a tth eback whenever I landed a jump was too much, had to ditch them in the end.

Subscriber

frazchops – Member
    Anyone know where to buy 2.8 Minions?

http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/search.aspx?search=27.5%20FAT

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘650 plus tyre options ? .. whats the go to 2.8 tyre ?’ is closed to new replies.