Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • £650 for removals – Worth it?
  • neilforrow

I could get a nice 2nd hand frame for that….

however i do value my back and I dont have that much holiday left…

What-cha-recon?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It depends on if you can drive a 7.5t van on your license IMO.

I hired one for a day for about £110, drafted in some mates with the lure of food
    And saved £500, I guess.

It’s only lifting and carrying, we had a sack truck (£5 a day with the van) to carry heavy stuff like boxes of books/crockery and the washing machine and the van had a tail lift.

Job jobbed. 🙂

neilforrow

I have got A B, B1 and fkp on my lisence, I think that means I am limited to a 3.5t van….

glenh
    Free Member

£650 sounds bloody cheap to me for removals.

Sure you can do it much cheaper yourself, but it’s a hell of a lot of work if you have much stuff.

monotokpoint
    Free Member

moving is so much nicer when someone does it for you

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I would never do my own move ever again – did it once and have helped others several times (including my cheapskate brother-in-law who just bought a £££££££££££££s house but then still expected me to give up my time for him for free even though every time I have asked for help from him he has been ‘busy’).

joemarshall
    Free Member

Pay for packing too – that makes all the difference. No time spent putting junk in boxes (or finding boxes for that matter). Makes way more difference than just having people to carry on the day.

Just pay a bit of money, then on the day, they turn up, by the end of the day all your stuff is at the new house. Not much else you need to do in terms of preparing for your move.

Joe

Burchy1
    Free Member

Hi Neil

Not seen you about in a while, you staying local or moving away?

No idea about the removal costs, first house = no furniture = 2 car loads for us…

Oh and first dibs on your shed if your not taking it 😉

neilforrow

glenh – moving from a 2 bed terrace, i dont have that much…

mastiles- it would involve roping in a few favors… but i do have a few to call in…

but it would be several (prob 5+) trips in a van… the crap in my shed and 5 bikes will take on trip alone…

edit – birchy – no, just moving up the road, and I am not taking my shed… so potentially….

I have gone back to uni part time, doing my masters, with that, the boy, work and moving has taken its toll on riding hours… However I will be back on it after Xmas… Good news is I am getting a garage, with light and power… amen to that.

baldSpot
    Free Member

i did it myself with the help of my Dad and a brother in law. Saved a lot of money but it was a tiring day and we damaged some stuff in the process.

My advice is if you can afford to, pay someone else to do it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We moved last year Mrs FD insisted on the full packing service option and. It made the whole experience so much easier, they packed everything in the space of about 3 hours, you dont have to faff with boxes etc.

I think we paid (well Mrs FD work paid) approx £700 for a move Sheffield to Bradford including 5 months storage.

If we move again I would definately pay for a full removal and packing service.

Burchy1
    Free Member

I’m in Spain next week but i’ll drop you a mail later about the shed.

Give me a shout if you need an extra pair of hands moving though, i’m sure i could rope in Postman Pat (Del) aswell.

neilforrow

Looks like I will have to swallow the cost and get it done… it just pain’s me to shell out that much…

Burchy – cool, Spain, that’s the badger MTB trip? you should have fun, some superb trails out there, and thanks for the offer of help.

On a side note, how have you got on with those enduro bearings? and tell del: I have still get his Mem Map cd’s and I haven’t forgotten about them…

Android
    Free Member

Moving is stressfull enough as it is. Lat time we DIY’d it was when we moved out of a 2 bed flat. We vowed then, never again!

£650 is very cheap, check they are insured, if they are, take it!

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Definitely go with the movers! I just had them in last week for a full pack and move and they did an excellent job! Well, it looked like an excellent job, but I guess I will find out in 8-12 weeks when my stuff turns up again in the states! 😕

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Moving is stressfull enough as it is

Indeed it is. But Ifind the physical work of lifing stuff to be a great stess reliever, oddly. Remove brain for the day, and just get on with it. No thinking required. 🙂

jonb
    Free Member

Definately removal company everytime for me. We thought about DIY when we moved into our current place but we were glad we paid. There was enough going one without having to actually move the stuff. Also as we were moving out of rented it meant one person could coordinate the movers while the other cleaned the rented place for the final inspection.

theyEye
    Free Member

you have a lot more stuff than you think. Hire someone.

hora
    Free Member

glenh – moving from a 2 bed terrace, i dont have that much

Why are you paying?!

This is what I did to a 3bed house….hired a SWB transit van for ONE day…

in the days before I moved over bits and pieces – say boxed up kitchen stuff etc. Then the big stuff and remainder on the day of moving.

£55* from ****** Van Hire. I also used said van to see what happens when you apply the hanbrake sharply in wet B&Q carparks..

*Included a tenner insurance reducer incase of an accident….after all, hire vehicles are there to test whats possible…

Burchy1
    Free Member

Bearings have been good, i had to add the inner seals we left out on the outside aswell though as the crankarm was bottoming out when preloaded on, so there was some side to side play in them.

All works fine now though.

I’ll let Del know about the MM cd’s

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Burchy1 – Member
    Bearings have been good, i had to add the inner seals we left out on the outside aswell though as the crankarm was bottoming out when preloaded on, so there was some side to side play in them.

All works fine now though.

I’ll let Del know about the MM cd’s
    That’s a bit random!

neilforrow

hora – don’t be gentle, its a rental 😀

that said, it is a 6 house chain, we have to be out by 12, therefore a little short on time for multiple trips.

Not sure… on the one hand it takes the stress out of the situation, and I can hide at work while Missis F deals out orders to the removal guys,

but the £500 i could save, could e allocated on another bike for the new stable…

Hummmmm

-edit- skidsareforkids see the above posts… there is a sideline conversation going on here…!!…

joemarshall
    Free Member

This is what I did to a 3bed house….hired a SWB transit van for ONE day…

in the days before I moved over bits and pieces – say boxed up kitchen stuff etc. Then the big stuff and remainder on the day of moving.

That’s the difference right there –

you’d been spending the weeks before boxing up your kitchen stuff and all the other stuff round the house, and living out of boxes, then you spent the days before the move taking over ‘bits and pieces’, then on the day you had to spend a whole day lumping things in and out of vans.

Whereas if you pay removals and pay them to pack, you just live your life normally until the day before. They turn up at 8am. By lunchtime, you’re in your new place with your stuff.

It isn’t the moving on the day that makes removals better, it’s not having to live out of boxes for weeks beforehand.

Joe

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I just think it’s a lot of money to pay someone to do a simple job that anyone can do. All it takes is a small amount of planning: It’s very easy to get boxes and box stuff up weeks beforehand for exmaple.

That said, it will be a LOT easier with a 7.5t van. I’m sure you’ll have a mate who can legally drive one. I did just the same for another mate who couldn’t hire due to his age (20 at the time, IIRC, buying his first flat) It was great fun! 🙂

carlosg
    Free Member

you don’t need a 7.5 tonner to do a house move a sprinter/transit with a luton back will be all you need , we moved from a 2 bed terrace (with far too much furniture) into a 3 bed semi and everything fit into the back of a luton sprinter.

(and we had 3 more bikes too 😀 )

Jerome
    Free Member

Thoughts the same but would have paid double after the work was done
    Maybe it was the all nighter to get packed up in the first place.
    You will be surprised how much stuff you have..
    They were machines our movers – and yes it appears I am now work shy..
    J.

Hohum
    Free Member

Maybe my experience is a little bit old, but when we moved from a 4 bed house 7 years ago that cost £850, so £650 for a 2 bed terrace seems quite expensive IMO.

At the time our eldest was 4 and my son was only 2 months old so it was a bit of a no-brainer really for us.

mogrim

glenh – moving from a 2 bed terrace, i dont have that much…

Unless you’re a regular mover I bet you have about 3 tonnes more stuff than you think you do.

Pay, it’s worth it.

neilforrow

carlosg – that’s exactly what I am doing… 2 bed to 3 bed, loads of stuff and bikes.

Ho Hum, I have a 9 month old… and that what I am thinking… but there is 650 reasons telling me not too.!.

LapSteel
    Free Member

Moved last year from a 3 bed semi..It cost £250…it was only a mile down the road though

br
    Free Member

Paid less, and paid far, far more (£5k, but that was to Germany).

Only done it properly once myself, every other time was a full pack and move service – and so will next time.

We had enough to fill a full artic last time, I ain’t packing/moving that lot.

Hohum
    Free Member

neilforrow – Member
    carlosg – that’s exactly what I am doing… 2 bed to 3 bed, loads of stuff and bikes.

Ho Hum, I have a 9 month old… and that what I am thinking… but there is 650 reasons telling me not too.!.

Good opportunity to have a serious clear out before you move though Neil.

We did not have an artic, but it was the size down from that and it was full.

One good thing about using a company is they can supply decent boxes to you beforehand so that you can do a bit of pre-packing rather than you having to scrabble around trying to find your own.

The company we used last time actually supplied us with a “moving in” hamper as well – tea, coffee, sugar, etc. and Mrs Ho hum managed to blag two out of them!

neilforrow

LapSteel: Same, It is only down the road, and wee will be doing the packing…

From what people have said, £650 seems a lot… going to do some more shopping around…

carlosg
    Free Member

Ho Hum, I have a 9 month old

Damn , that’s where you have me beaten mine was 18 months.

if you’re fairly fit and can rope a mate in (paid mine £80 for the day and bought brekky , lunch and tea for him) then there’s no reason not to do it yourself IMO. I would’ve been finished early but had to trip over to Bury from Leeds to pick up some dinning room furniture.

mogrim

LapSteel: Same, It is only down the road, and wee will be doing the packing…

If you’re doing the packing, I withdraw what I wrote earlier. That’s the hard bit, the rest is just getting stuff out the door and into the van.

No idea if that’s expensive or not – I don’t live in the UK – but it sounds pricey for what is basically lorry hire for a “down the road” journey.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

when we moved last we got quotes from a few local firms and also pickfords. off the tyop of my head the locals were about 350 (but we had to box everything) and pickfords 500 odd but they packed.

a few days after the quote i phoned picfords and said i could get a cheaper deal, 325, they matched it. as the guy said to me the van and men would be sat there doing nothing otherwise so better to have them do something.

also worth bearing in mind that the removals market is very slack right now so a lot of downtime for them and consequently deals to be had.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I moved last time using a Luton and a mate. Only just fitted everything in – I blame the wife’s clothes…. I had moved the bikes and some other stuff up earlier. Now live in a far bigger house and would pay people to do it for sure – the cost is pretty small to what the other costs will be if I move house; indeed I hope to never move again.

Markie
    Free Member

Removal company every time from here on out for us. Moving is enough hassle as it stands.

thegreatape
    Free Member

After a 48hr 1000 mile plus tour of the country with my worldly possessions in a 7.5t truck I would recommend paying someone else to do it.

cinnamon_girl

I would happily pay someone to assist with unpacking and placing furniture.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘£650 for removals – Worth it?’ is closed to new replies.