• This topic has 83 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by fossy.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • 62 episodes to watch. Daunted by Breaking Bad. Do it?
  • Drac

Took me 2 years but it’s well worth believe the hype unlike Game of Thrones which is good but massively overrated

Cougar

Never seen/watched it. But then I’ve never watched G o T either. Don’t feel like I’m missing out at all.

How would you know if you’ve never watched it?  I expect  that I’ve never missed many things I’ve never experienced.  I’ve never eaten a beefburger, never felt like I was missing out at all.

Do you ring up phone-in votes and go “no comment”?

jam-bo

I’ve watched it all the way through and can’t remember what happened in the end.

rone

It’s not slow. It’s rewarding.

As with Better Call Saul, the pieces click gradually but so much happens there needs to be character development. It’s excellent.

What’s the commitment?  If you like it you will carry on with it!

hols2
    Free Member

To me it was kinda like a Coen brothers movie that lasted for years. Lots of quirky characters, quite implausible plots, but entertaining. The Coen brothers only really made one movie: There’s a bag of money and anyone who tries to get it is doomed. That’s pretty much BB’s plot too.

Try a few episodes. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. If you do like it, try to limit yourself to two episodes per day or you’ll burn through it in a few weeks.

The Americans is better IMO, but has a similar thing of horrible characters that you sympathize with and hope don’t get caught even though you know they will eventually.

silverbirchdan
    Free Member

What I wouldn’t do to be in your position. Go for it, it’s the best television ever made, in my humble opinion. I’m biased though, I’ve watched it 4 times!

doris5000

it’s not slow enough, was my problem!

I was all up for a slow burning series in which a mild mannered teacher slowly develops into a psycho drug dealer.

But he sets up a drug lab and kills a rival dealer about halfway through episode 1, and by episode 3 <edit for spoilers concerning more violent death>. It’s all a good yarn i suppose but i lost interest and gave up early in Season 2.

My wife complains that if I keep on giving up on shows on the grounds that they’re not as good as The Wire, then I’ll just end up never watching anything.  Which is pretty much what happens.  Going to give Our Friends In The North a go soon though.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

TIGHT! TIGHT! TIGHT!

YEAGGGGH!!

shadowrider
    Free Member

It’s worth watching but I never really loved it. I only went to the end because I’d invested so much time in the first few seasons.

DrJ

BB is pretty decent but I didn’t think it really lived up to the hype. The Wire […] is much better IMO

Maybe, but The Wire is better than anything that has ever been on TV, so that’s a pretty high bar to set!!

dazh

Done it all the way through 4 times. Might be time for a 5th as I’ve almost forgotten a lot of it. Wasn’t quite as much of a binge as watching every star trek series from TNG to Enterprise in order but probably more entertaining 🙂

+1 for The Wire. Did that twice. Don’t bother with Game of Thrones unless you want a real TV endurance challenge.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Loved Dexter but looking forward to Breaking Bad too!

beej

Magnets, bitch!

I found it flagged a little in series 2 until Saul appeared, then it just got better and better.

My roomba is called Jesse.

FuzzyWuzzy

I only watched BB first time around until end of series 3, then never got into it again when series 4 finally appeared. Having recently binge watched Better Call Saul (def worth it) I’m re-watching BB from the start.

It’s definitely slower paced than I remember but still good, although I fast forward through most of the guff with Skyler and her sister (Hank is always good though). Only just up to the Better Call Saul episode in S2, you certainly think of him differently after watching the Better Call Saul series (I’d even say watch that first, it’s a prequel after all and it doesn’t spoil BB).

Rockape63
    Free Member

I’m amazed some people stopped watching it, I loved it!  I actually watched it weekly on AMC so took over a year to watch it all.  For me it was the best thing on telly in memory.

I did sit through the Fly episode thinking WTF though!

Cougar

it’s a prequel after all and it doesn’t spoil BB

It spoils BB massively if you know who the characters are.  It’d be like watching Star Wars in episode order.

FuzzyWuzzy

It spoils BB massively if you know who the characters are.  It’d be like watching Star Wars in episode order.

Why? Because you know Jimmy isn’t just a total douche? (I can’t actually remember how his character develops in BB tbh). Other characters like Tuco – I reckon having watched BCS first makes you appreciate even more how much of a psycho he is than he’s portrayed in BB. I can’t really remember BB past season 2 though so if you’re talking about other characters later on then fair enough.

hols2
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say BCS is a massive spoiler for BB, but it would spoil some things. For one, it gives some hints about how BB ends. Mostly though, I think BCS would be better if you’ve watched BB because you know how the characters ended up, BCS is intended to fill in how they got there.

Spoiler:
    As for the hating on Skyler and her sister, I just don’t get that. They were written as flawed characters, as was Hank, but their sins are minor whereas Walt was a first-class asshole who deserved to die. A lot of people seem to think Walt was a hero and Skyler was to blame for thwarting his ambitions. Walt started out as a sympathetic character, but by the end his true nature was clear and he was truly vile. Skyler was the grown-up trying to deal with a childish psycho. Her first encounter with Pinkman was one of my favorite bits, as was the dinner scene when Walt invited Pinkman over.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say BCS is a massive spoiler for BB

…unlike the rest of your post.

hols2
    Free Member

What spoilers, apart from Jesse coming over for dinner?

johnners
    Free Member

What spoilers, apart from Jesse coming over for dinner?

None, except the arc for the main character. And his wife.

Maybe, but The Wire is better than anything that has ever been on TV, so that’s a pretty high bar to set!!

True dat.

IHN

Yeah, The Wire (and to a lesser extent, The Sopranos) has pretty much ruined the rest of television for me.

Still, second series of The Deuce starts soon, so that’s something to look forward to.

perchypanther
    Free Member

In other spoiler news….Darth Vader is actually a pretty decent bloke.

Cougar

Why? Because you know Jimmy isn’t just a total douche?

Well, specifically I was thinking because it spoils the reveal of who

Spoiler:
    Gus Fring

is.

hols2
    Free Member

except the arc for the main character. And his wife.

Spoiler alert. Man who sells drugs to kids turns out to be an asshole. His wife, who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, wasn’t an asshole, although she was comically annoying at times.

Now you don’t need to watch it cause I told you what’s going to happen.

nickjb
    Free Member

I think the bigger issue is that watching them the wrong way would ruin BCS. It’s an absolute treat after BB ending as you sort of know what is coming but the details are slowly revealed.

johnners
    Free Member

Spoiler alert. Man who sells drugs to kids turns out to be an asshole. His wife, who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, wasn’t an asshole, although she was comically annoying at times.

You haven’t watched it, have you?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

it was totally excellent when they walked into that lab with “On a Clear Day” by the peddlars playing – brilliant setting and music.

hols2
    Free Member

You haven’t watched it, have you?

I watched the first and last episode and just guessed at what happened in between.

LittleNose
    Free Member

I thought BB was superb, surpassed only by Better Call Saul, which in itself is only SO good due to knowing the BB story.

nickfrog
    Free Member

edit

P-Jay
    Free Member

Still, second series of The Deuce starts soon, so that’s something to look forward to.

Can’t wait. I predict we’ll talk about it in the same way we do The Wire in years to come.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

So yeah, getting back to the original question, yes, I would recommend watching it all, start to finish, then Better Call Saul…

DrJ

can’t remember what happened in the end

Reminder:

P-Jay
    Free Member

I think the bigger issue is that watching them the wrong way would ruin BCS. It’s an absolute treat after BB ending as you sort of know what is coming but the details are slowly revealed.

Agreed, but a bit less politely, Better Call Saul would be a frustratingly glacial drama about characters you don’t know or care about, dragged out for about 35 hours before it starts to get interesting, or indeed the titular character turns up.

Imagine going into to it without any knowledge of BB, wondering what or who ‘Saul’ was and why anyone should call them, only to see a strange drama about a low-level Lawyer called Jimmy/James bookended by an even stranger drama in black and white.

No, I don’t think anyone should watch BCS first.

Cougar

Agreed with all of that.  Part of the appeal of BCS is going “ooh, it’s him!” when BB characters / locations pop up.

dazh

Watched the first BB again last night. It was still as good as I remember. Funny how young they all looked though, and I was surprised how much I’d forgotten. I guess I’m committed to watching it again 🙂

hols2
    Free Member

List of crossover characters (contains spoilers obviously):

http://www.vulture.com/2018/09/breaking-bad-better-call-saul-crossover-characters.html

FuzzyWuzzy

I’m really liking Netflix’s thumbnail fast forward thing (so I can easily skip the filler scenes), much better than Amazon Prime’s fast forward (or at least how they work through the app on my TV)

brakes
    Free Member

I started watching Breaking Bad at 11pm last night. 2.5 episodes in and I’m liking it.

Might have to save it for weekend bingeing though as I can’t cope with 6 hours sleep a night…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘62 episodes to watch. Daunted by Breaking Bad. Do it?’ is closed to new replies.