Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 60th Birthday present advice.
  • simonb512
    Free Member

Ok, so it’s my mothers 60th birthday at the start of next month and I’m really struggling to think what to get her.

Just to give some background:

Recently had knee replacement, waiting for the other to be done.
    Has pretty bad arthritis
    Diabetic
    Osteoporosis.
    Usual presents are gin and/or choc/flowers.

So as you can imagine she can’t really get out much unfortunately, but that’s another matter.

She is not that great with technology, yet it’s almost a rarity to see her not using either her Kindle or Nintendo DSi.Though she plain refuses to use a PC.

Budget is circa £200 ideally.

I was thinking of paying for a years membership to the local swimming baths as it’ll get her out and the swimming will do her good.

However transportation is an issue then. She can’t drive, struggles with public transport and taxiing everywhere is proving a bit costly for her (esp with the almost weekly hospital/doctors appointments). My dad works a 9-5 (often 6days) so him driving her is an issue, except for evenings.

Suggestions please?

Nb, the reason I want something a little extra special is because when I was a teenager I was a really sh*tty son (I will not go into that), and subsequently trying to make the effort to rebuild the mother/son relationship.

rocketman
    Free Member

Inexpensive netbook with mobile broadband dongle thing.

Bought one for the MIL a few years ago. Hard work at first but now she is pretty proficient with it. Uses it to send emails that read like letters and to post embarrasing comments on grandchildren’s Facebook pages.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I won’t quite work for your mum but when my old boy was 60 I took him lap dancing. Cracking night. Like I say unless your mum is swinging both ways I feel it would be waisted.

flip
    Free Member

I bought my Dad a balloon flight for his 70th, he loved it.

ourmaninthenorth

I took my father to the Camp Nou to watch Barca beat Valncia. But I suspect she won’t want that.

Were android tablets as good as the ipad (at this price), I’d suggest that.

But maybe something different. How about a weekend away for her and your dad? Nothing strenuous, but enough to get out of the house.

simonb512
    Free Member

But maybe something different. How about a weekend away for her and your dad? Nothing strenuous, but enough to get out of the house.

I didn’t think of that at all, I will most certainly have to look into that. Cheers for that suggestions.

pennine
    Free Member

I was given an Orange 5 pro for mine 😀

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

We recently bought our mum a Tassimo machine for her 70th – she loves her coffee and is really happy with it.

McHamish
    Free Member

Pole dancing lessons?

Or alternatively…spa weekend?

For my mothers 60th I asked her where she would like to go for a weekend and took her away for a weekend break, just me and her.

We ended up going to Lincoln (not sure why she wanted to go there), and we spend the weekend at a nice B&B and went for walks and had a few nice meals.

I think most Mum’s would appreciate spending time with their son rather than some crappy present they probably don’t really want.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I think most Mum’s would appreciate spending time with their son rather than some crappy present they probably don’t really want.

Agreed – we bought our mum a ‘free pass’ to go to Cornwall for the weekend and visit Eden Project and we were all to go with her.

We got her the ‘gift voucher’ that we made for her 60th but she was 69 by the time she cashed it in 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘60th Birthday present advice.’ is closed to new replies.