Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 60mm stem to a 70mm – much difference expected?
  • plyphon
    Free Member

Hello,

I currently have a 60mm stem and quite fancy treating myself to a little bling in the flavor of a nice shiny CNC’d stem.

Love the look of the Easton Haven stem, but only comes in 55mm or 70mm – would i notice much difference going up to the 70mm? Not really fancying going any shorter to 55mm…

Bars are 740mm wide btw.

Cheers.

ndthornton
    Free Member

expect approximately 10mm of difference

tmb467
    Free Member

or 1cm in new money

I’d shorten the bars by 2mm either side to make up for it

clubber
    Free Member

Realistically, probably not.

tmb467
    Free Member

to be fair, I did consider this when I went from a 65mm to 70mm stem

then I thought about it and decided it wasn’t worth wasting time over. I could move my hands in a bit on the grips if I even noticed it

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I very much doubt you’d notice any difference 5mm shorter…

10mm longer you might a bit….?

have you considered the Raceface turbine that’s nice, more subtle, but nice

plyphon
    Free Member

Should of put a disclaimer listing the obvious replied, I screwed up there.

I think i’ll have to adopt your train of thought there tmb467, probably not worth wasting energy on!

plyphon
    Free Member

Whathaveisaidnow, thats not a bad shout. Don’t generally like Raceface stuff but that looks reasonable.

joeelston
    Free Member

I have a solid black easton haven, brand new, never fitted if you’re interested. 70mm

plyphon
    Free Member

Could be indeed, how much would you be after?

joeelston
    Free Member

45 posted?

I can send you a photo if you like.

plyphon
    Free Member

That’s a bit rich for me I’m afraid, Merlin do them for £45 new.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/mtb-parts/bars-stems/handlebar-stems/easton-haven-stem.html

Albeit in a different color.

Cheers anyway tho!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I think it’s only worth doing if you’re trying to get your handling “perfect”. I went from a super long 100mm and 685mm bars to a 60mm and 785mm bars and I was wishing I’d done it sooner. This was about 6-12 months ago. It improved my descending greatly, but I find myself wishing the stem was a tiny bit longer for the steeper climbs and the bars a little bit shorter for more general riding. Consequently, I’m thinking about going to 70mm and 750mm bars for general use and using the 785/60mm combo for DH only.

If a 70mm stem shows up at the right price then I’d give it a shot. Your circumstances may vary.

EDIT: Actually, I’d probably go shorter stem for DH. Maybe a 50/55mm even.

joeelston
    Free Member

Aye but mines 55 on merlin, and it’s new! No worries.

plyphon
    Free Member

Aye but mines 55 on merlin, and it’s new! No worries.

No warranty tho init

devash
    Free Member

I went down from a 90mm stem on my Camber to a 50mm stem and the handling was so much fun on the downs but something just didn’t feel right. Went up to a 70mm and the difference was night and day. Suddenly the ups and downs felt spot on. This was with the stock 720mm low rise bars.

60mm to 70mm should be more subtle. I think from personal experience 70mm is the perfect compromise for XC / Trail / Rough Stuff.

rob2
    Free Member

Could get a kcnc bear (I think) from clee cycles. I think they come in 60 mm flavour . Too lazy to look though. 🙂

joeelston
    Free Member

I would agree with devash. I went 50mm to be all trendy and it was amazing on the downs but the climbs felt awkward. Back to 70mm where I belong!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Depends what sort of riding you like doing really. I had a 70mm stem and it felt like my weight was to far over the front for anything funy like jumps and downhill. 60mm is a good compromise I think.

plyphon
    Free Member

Well,

I found a 2nd hand 60mm Raceface Turbine stem for £30 shipped, which will do me nicely. There was a few 70mm options floating around but £30 was a steal for the 60mm!

_tom_
    Free Member

I felt the difference going from 50mm to 60mm. Didn’t like it so back at 50.

NormalMan

devash – Member
    I went down from a 90mm stem on my Camber to a 50mm stem and the handling was so much fun on the downs but something just didn’t feel right. Went up to a 70mm and the difference was night and day. Suddenly the ups and downs felt spot on. This was with the stock 720mm low rise bars.

Interesting comment, thanks.
    I recently fitted a 50mm stem to my Camber to try and lessen the xc feel (I’ve a 29er ht for that). But can’t seem to get on with it. I also replaced a 90mm stem. It is twitchy on thin singletrack ‘rabbit runs’ I ride plus frontend lifts on short steep climbs if seated. That said it looks great!

shifter
    Free Member

I went 90 – 70 – 45 – 70. 70 ftw.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘60mm stem to a 70mm – much difference expected?’ is closed to new replies.