Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • 600cc for the first time on Sat!
  • alexxx
    Free Member

So after some advice on here – I did a CBT (first time ever on a bike) it went well and I enjoyed it – other than leaving the indicators on by accident a lot… guess this was to be expected with no riding experience and used to a cars self cancelling indicators.

Anyway – I’m back in the UK for a bit – did my theory test the other day just to get it out the way and now I’m booked in for a 2 hour session on a 600cc bike this Saturday to see what it feels like…

Any advice – or does the same go as on a 125 and the engine size doesn’t really matter apart from obviously taking it gentle with the right wrist?

I think I have 2 hours on the bike and I’m sure the instructor will give me lots of good advice but is there anything specific I should ask for or look out for ?

Cheers Al

juan
    Free Member

well do you know what bike you’re gonna ride?

Pigface
    Free Member

Bit of extra weight, bulk. Better brakes and as you said a bit more on the wrist.

juan
    Free Member

However if you’re riding an in-line four you’ll just found it crap.

wilko1999
    Free Member

The instructor will tell you everything you need to know. If its a modern 600 though the brakes may take you by surprise after riding a 125, so go easy.

One things for sure though, I found it a damn sight easier riding a 600 than a 125

alexxx
    Free Member

It’s a brand spanker I think – not sure on make but my moneys on a honda or a suzuki as thats what they had for the 125s.

The 125 I was on was old and pretty well used so I’m sure the brakes will surprise me!

Trying to find some boots on the net that will get to me before Saturday.. if they don’t fit I’ll just buy locally – any suggestions? I don’t plan on doing wet weather riding so no need to be waterproof.

Stoner
    Free Member

I think most instructors are putting out new bikes at the moment as the rules changed and there’s only a narrow band of models that are acceptable for the test. Or something.

Im going to start my 600 lessons in the new year hopefully. 1000cc valadero is what I want 😀

alexxx
    Free Member

Bang on Stoner – it was due to the new legislation. I’m after a 1986 BMW 65r for making into a cafe racer style bike 😀

I may get a 650 or something to have a play on for further distances tho

juan
    Free Member

1000cc valadero

Which one is the 1000 valadero 😉 Trust you want a ducati GT1000

flip
    Free Member

You’ll probably find a bigger bike easier to ride, i had a ZZR600 as my first bike after passing on a 125, many moons ago.

Stoner
    Free Member

anything that ISNT some poncy continental midget-sized thundergrunger cafe race is a good bike. 😛

ahem VaRadero. Got my bike gloves on….

juan
    Free Member

The GT1000 isn’t midget sized and trust me that is the next bike I am going to buy (ok maybe after one or two CR project I have on my mind :D)

alexxx
    Free Member

winston
    Free Member

varadero

I believe it is correctly referred to as ‘the sweaty pig in a tutu’

Not the prettiest but I quite like it

Eats fuel though

shifter
    Free Member

Chances are, if it is an in-line four, you’ll love it.
    Wrap up well,it’ll be chilly and two hours is a long time if you’re cold.

juan
    Free Member

Not that nope, I want a second SRX but I want to do this on right, with a nice engine tunning and some work on the fairing/suspensions.

Northwind

Tbh it’s impossible to give much sensible advice without knowing what the bike is. And also what your bike is!

freddyg
    Free Member

Alex. Where are you and what size do you take? I have a couple of pairs you could try. If you’re local to me and they fit, you could borrow them for the session.

alexxx
    Free Member

I dont have a bike and I dont know what the bike is – surely something sensible as its a training bike

Northwind

Ah sorry, I meant, what are you used to- we can’t say what’ll be different if we don’t know what it is you’ve used before. Could be your 125 experience is on a CG or a scooter or an RS125.

I’m assuming it’ll be some lardy, low-powered unfaired inline 4, old Bandit or similiar. Hefty but forgiving. But you never know.

br
    Free Member

Im going to start my 600 lessons in the new year hopefully. 1000cc valadero is what I want

NO!!!!!!

Back to the OP – You’ll find a new(ish) 600 a lot nicer to ride than any 125, but the weight may catch you out on low-speed stuff. And it will, even a crappy one, accelerate faster than pretty much any car (except super cars and the like).

You need to protect the bits that stick out; head/feet/hands then knees/elbows/shoulders. And you can’t go wrong with a back-protector.

alexxx
    Free Member

The jacket I got was off ebay 2nd hand for £30 – looks immaculate and has a built in back protector “Weiss Psycho Jacket” is the one.. might be a little short though but I’m not sure as the trousers are quite long.

I’m a size 10 but based in Cumbria so your probably not near but thanks for the offer!

The 125 I rode was a old suzuki – not sure on the type possible a cg but can’t remember too well. I just remember thinking the pegs looked terrible (round metal with no grip) I think the rubbers had fallen off but it was ok riding it.

600 sounds good – very excited now! 😀

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Wear the warmest gloves you can find.

Spend a bit of time getting used to the extra weight when paddling it about. It’ll go past the point of no return far quicker than a 125.

+1 for taking it easy on the brakes.

winston
    Free Member

You will need a neck tube too – the temp just dropped a load over the last day or so

freddyg
    Free Member

I’m currently in Barrow-I-F, but all my (size 12) clobber is at home near Grantham.

alexxx
    Free Member

ah noway – small world 🙂 I’ll probably be driving around Ulverston / Barrow way – I’ll probably just pop into a shop in the morning then and try and get some last minute as I guess they’ll come in useful!

Thanks for the necktube tip

Dolcered

I was on a lowered ER5 (owing to my wee-ness)for my lessons. I see a lot of the places near me are using kawasaki ER6N’s as their learner bikes.

Def wrap up. It’s a lot more fun if you aren’t chilled to the bone.

rickmeister

Alex, I may be able to help here. My mate has just sold his Hayabusa and I have all his kit to sell

Hein Herike Jacket and trousers (leather)
    Loads of Alpine stars kit, gloves, windproofs, jackets
    Magnetic tank bag,

And I will be in the north Lakes / Keswick on Friday afternoon…

Any good ?

Rick

alexxx
    Free Member

just sent you an email rick!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

1000cc valadero is what I want

FYI, they DRINK fuel. 36-37mpg at best. Very bad. Honest. And I like them….. 🙂
    Our Ducati ST3s will easily do 10mpg more, fully panniered up, 2-up, and be faster at the same time.
    If you like that style of bike, I’d try pretty much anything else – V-Strom, Caponord, 1000/1100 Multistrada, Tiger 1150/1200GS…. anything, personally.
    But, each to their own 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Id read that it the varadero was not so bad on fuel as say, the TA.

Ah well.

I just want a nice big Honda that can do 100s of miles a day, at good mpg, with full panniers and packs and keep lil’ol 6’4″ me out of the wind. Ideas?

juan
    Free Member

I just want a nice big Honda that can do 100s of miles a day, at good mpg, with full panniers and packs and keep lil’ol 6’4″ me out of the wind. Ideas?

Yes get a BMW.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

CBF1000. Africa Twin. Pan European.
    Africa Twins are proper cool, massive, and built like tanks.
    But why limit yourself to Honda? 🙂

juan
    Free Member

But why limit yourself to Honda?

He’s a banker so better not to ask.

Stoner
    Free Member

because all the bankers are on GS these days 😉

crossland
    Free Member

Really pleased with my new ER6-F on the short rides I have done, also pleased with the Weise kit i bought to go with it, seems warm and is supposed to be waterproof too. My Shoei XR1100 was a lot of money but is a lovely bit of kit. Wrap up, the cold gets to you very quickly otherwise.

Stoner
    Free Member

*reaches in, rummages around in the 36th post glitch hole*

the_lecht_rocks

Stoner. Sell you my vfr1200.. Perfect for your needs….

Stoner
    Free Member

does it come with a whopping big bug screen?

porter_jamie

i you are riding a full blooded sports 600 after a restricted 125, then it is going to blow your mind, if you get the rev needle way past 10k

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘600cc for the first time on Sat!’ is closed to new replies.