Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • £600 to spend. Mate wants a hardtail. What's good?
  • Alex

Returning to riding. Has a very old Cannondale Fsomething that's doing his back in. It is rather stiff, and long, and racy.

He wants a decent HT to ride around Ludlow (lots of good singletrack up there) with good mud clearance.

Needs an 18, I like the look of the Genesis and Pinnacle bikes (if only because they are UK designed), but would like to try and recommend something with a Tora or same quality fork.

Suggestions much appreciated, as I've no idea other than those two.

chrisdb
    Free Member

Alpine Bikes have 2010 Genesis Core 20 for £599 with a free camelbak, lock, etc for £599. Can't see it on their website but it was there yesterday.

geoffj

Merlin Malt 1 sneaks under the £600 mark (with the 10% discount)

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Bikes/Mountain+Bikes/Merlin+Bikes/Merlin+Malt+1+Bike_MERLIN-MALT1-BIKE.htm

EDIT: It'd have to be the 19 though

Or second hand of course.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Have a look thru end of season offers from the big retailers

Evans – GT Avalanche

pauls -Kona Caldera 2009

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Wiggle have a Felt Holeshot, a sort of hardcore HT, with Recons for around £650 I think

corroded
    Free Member

Sure I've seen a Genesis Altitude 00 reduced to 600ish – can't imagine getting better value than that.

Alex

Thanks all, I'll have a look.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Mates wife has a genesis steel HT and looks and rides very nicely (they say) 🙂

chrisdb
    Free Member

i found it here you go
    link

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

I love my Genesis Altitude 30 which I brought as a frame but the Core is great value and gets amazing reviews;

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/mountain/core/

They have been designed for British riding and have good mud clearance etc.

Alex

Loving that purple. It's 1996 all over again 🙂

Northwind

Carrera Fury… £550 but won the WMB £750 bikes test a couple of months ago, and won every single "entry level bikes" test it was included in this year. Ridiculous speclist- 15mm bolt-through forks, Mavic 317 rims… Weighs less than most of the 100mm "competition" despite the stronger frame and longer travel. Can't go wrong.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘£600 to spend. Mate wants a hardtail. What's good?’ is closed to new replies.