Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • 60 mile road ride set up – advice?
  • squeekybrakes
    Free Member

I’m joining a mate for a 60 mile ride in a couple of weeks and borrowing someone’s road bike for this outing. It’ll be the first time I’ve been on a road bike since being a nipper. Anyhing obvious I need to take into account. I’ve got the lent bike for a week beforehand to adjsut and try out etc…

Junkyard
    Free Member

watch for pedal overlap as you cant turn the bars as much- only an issue at slow speeds
    the tyres should be more or less rock hard 100psi + depending on your weight

RealMan
    Free Member

Just go out on it, see what you need to do to make it comfy etc.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’d run the tyres slightly softer than 100 psi, 90 will give a comfier ride and not slow you down any. Make sure the saddle is at the right height, as far up as it can go without your hips rocking when you pedal should do the trick. And you might need to fettle with the bars rotation so that the hoods are in a comfy position. You should be able to brake from them and spend most of your time riding on them, so make sure they’re not too far down or too far up for you. Thats probably about it.

Swalsey
    Free Member

Road bikes brakes are almost ineffective in the wet for the first few seconds of braking – scrub!

samuri
    Free Member

Make it as comfy as you can, it’s a long time to be in the saddle. Rotate the bars up a bit if that helps. Your leg should be almost extended with the pedal at the bottom on a road bike so adjust the seat height accordingly.

I’d get some rides in on the bike as soon as you can.

I presume you’re doing the Manchester to Blackpool ride. See you there if you are.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

90! 110 minimum imo..

Haze

Take food?

john_l
    Free Member

90! 110 minimum imo.

depends how big you are. 85 psi rear/75psi front here.

anto164
    Free Member

Really? 105psi rear 110psi front for me!

But yeh, i’d run about 90psi front and rear for extra bump absorption.

Make sure you’re wearing roady clothes too. It’ll keep you cool and chafe free.

MrOvershoot

samuri – Member
    I presume you’re doing the Manchester to Blackpool ride. See you there if you are.

Given the numbers who do it you’ll be lucky 😉

Last years run into Blackpool was great with the tail wind, but the 12 miles towards Lytham St Anne’s against the wind was a bit brutal for some, I passed a fair few sat at the side of the road almost crying 😮

fasthaggis

You could start here then make small adjustments to suit your shape .

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Doesn’t anyone read or stick to the MINIMUM pressures for road tyres? its usually written on the side wall 100-110 psi minimum

HermanShake
    Free Member

Good padded shorts! And if you want to be extra comfy get your hands (well, ass) on some Assos chamois cream. Makes the world of difference. I did 66 miles on Friday and started getting pretty uncomfortable after about 50.

Got some cream for my next training ride for which I was still sore and it completely soothed and prevented it happening again.

samuri
    Free Member

well I was joking. I did it last year too and I know how many were there. That last few miles were appalling. 😉 I ended up dragging a string of riders over the finish line.

And I got interviewed by Granada reports (although didn’t get on TV)

disco-stu2 by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Minimum pressure in my Pro 3’s are 87 psi I think. Running them over 100 is pointless imo. Less comfy ride and may slow you down because they bump over small road deformities rather rather that forming round them.

mudshark
    Free Member

Tyre pressure depends on riders weight and tyre size, if using 25c tyres use less pressure than for 23c. At 11st or so I run 23c at 110psi and 25c at 100psi.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I typically run 90-100psi in my Pro 3’s

As far as tips, get out on the bike before hand to ensure that you’re not going to be crippled by it.

And keep it euro 😆

squeekybrakes
    Free Member

Have been out on the bike for a bit of a test ride. First time I’ve been on a road bike for decades… Everything feels fine but my hands ache like mad and I feel like I’m gonna pitch forward over the bars. Is this normal ?!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Maybe your bars and or stem are too long and/or low?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Everything feels fine but my hands ache like mad

That’s something you’ll get use too. A decent pair of gloves with good pads will help.
    These are very good.

warton
    Free Member

tyre pressure is totally personal, and largely dependant on weight. oh and this:

and may slow you down because they bump over small road deformities rather rather that forming round them

is total nonsense!

njee20
    Free Member

depends how big you are. 85 psi rear/75psi front here.

Are you 3 stone? I’d not even consider going that low personally, on occasions I’ve not pumped my tyres up I find the front feels vague and it all gets a bit sluggish. I tend to stick to 100, up it slightly for racing/TTs. My 23c Fusions have a recommended pressure of 115psi.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

You don’t need to wrestle the handelbars of a roadbike. loosen up!

Stuey01
    Free Member

Have been out on the bike for a bit of a test ride. First time I’ve been on a road bike for decades… Everything feels fine but my hands ache like mad and I feel like I’m gonna pitch forward over the bars. Is this normal ?!

To be expected if you haven’t been on one in years. Give it a couple more rides before you knee-jerk change anything. If it is still bothering you then look at the saddle to bar drop and consider flipping the stem to get a more relaxed position.

traildog
    Free Member

My top tip is don’t slam on the brakes and don’t swerve. As a mountain biker, group riding skills are not really something you think about. Be extra careful at the Manchester Blackpool because it can be carnage. I know a lot of people who refuse to ride it due to crashes and added car dangers.

Another tip is don’t use a backpack.. 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

100psi minimum in 23c’s IMO.

At 80psi I can feel the tyres folding over in corners.

100psi front, 110psi rear, came back form yesterdays ride (45miles, 1000m climbing, 3hours).

As for feeling good afterwards, 1scoop whey protein, 1 tsp BCAA’s, 2g creatine, 1g electrolyte salts, or off the shelf ‘recovery’ products are available, even after a deliberatly hard (for me) session I was up and about doing stuff all day afterwards and only have the slightest ache this morning.

molgrips
    Free Member

Have been out on the bike for a bit of a test ride. First time I’ve been on a road bike for decades… Everything feels fine but my hands ache like mad and I feel like I’m gonna pitch forward over the bars. Is this normal

No, it’s not – but other people’s road bikes are always terribly set up for you.

Road bike set up is critical – there’s no senisble norm like MTBs. Your bars may have been too low. But if it’s not yours beware of messing about with it too much!

Took me 18 months of slightly tweaking my bike to get it right.

lowey

As for feeling good afterwards, 1scoop whey protein, 1 tsp BCAA’s, 2g creatine, 1g electrolyte salts, or off the shelf ‘recovery’ products are available, even after a deliberatly hard (for me) session I was up and about doing stuff all day afterwards and only have the slightest ache this morning.

Hmmmm… our afternoon and evening beer session may not be wholy appropriate then ?

See you all there to those who are doing it.

Should I pack Sudocrem ?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Link

We are also able to run at much lower pressures (86-100 psi), which lets the wheel roll directly over variations in the road, instead of bouncing off of them (like when you have rock-hard 120 psi tires…) The end result is faster, and you can feel it immediately when you ride the system.

Ok, so the guy is talking about tubeless, but the theory holds true for normal tyres too.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Flip the stem to raise the bars a bit.

aP
    Free Member

Oh, well I shall be riding for the next week with 90/95psi for several reasons – 100psi+ is too bumpy, I don’t like blowouts on big descents, I prefer grip over apparent speed.

RealMan
    Free Member

Tyre pressure is completely dependent on rider weight – I’ve been on a few rides and come back and found out I’d only been running 60psi without it bothering me. For racing, 120psi is usually what I go for. Normal rides, 100psi is good for me.

squeekybrakes
    Free Member

Not possible to flip the stem as it’s a quil. Doesn’t look like I can raise it either. Good news is I think I’m beginning to get used to the agressive stance…

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘60 mile road ride set up – advice?’ is closed to new replies.