Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 60 mile road ride – do I need to do anything food wise?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I’m doing the Manchester > Blackpool night ride on Saturday / Sunday for the British Heart Foundation.

Do I need to “carb up” for this sort of distance? I normally do 20+ mile off road stuff and commute to work. I know 60 isn’t that far but it’s further than I’m used to.

Any advice appreciated.

ton

a fiver for a bacon butty and a brew……….. 8)

KINGTUT
    Free Member

No need to carb up, a chunk of flapjack and an emergency gel will be enough on the ride.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aP
    Free Member

No, just take a couple of bars, use an appropriate drink and have fun.

Klunk
    Free Member

take a few jelly babies, should only be about 4hrs if that (wind dependent)

Junkyard
    Free Member

derek iirc you have a few stored carbs that should see you through 😉

Takes some food with you ..thats what i do when i think i might get hungry or stop at a petrol station and buy some

RustySpanner

It’s all downhill! 🙂

How about a couple of bottles of energy drink, packet of Jelly Babies and a couple of Go Bars in your back pocket and, AND, fish, chips & peas when you finish?

michaelmcc
    Free Member

What everyone else said..

wwaswas

you’re probably looking at 3-4 hours riding so I’d keep hydrated and take some gels for electrolyte replacement.

do try a gel a couple of days before though, some disagree with certain people and it’s best to find out whilst you’re close to home.

drofluf
    Free Member

I did 60 miles on Sunday morning (coincidentally as part of my training for a BHF ride) and my ‘normal’ riding sounds like yours.

I had scrambled eggs on toast and another piece of toast for breakfast and then a Powerbar about 2/3s of the way round (2 hours in).

But as you’re doing it at night that may affect your metabolism….

thomthumb
    Free Member

60 miles on the road wont be *that much* harder than 20 off road. take something to eat obv. but don’t need to go mental. mayube have pasta for dinner on friday – if you fancy it.

binners

Its a night ride? On a Saturday? The destination is Blackpool?

Don’t worry mate – You’re bound to pass a kebab house en route. You could make your Saturday night Blackpool experience complete by then having a fight outside said kebab house with a bloke called Bazza, then shagging a peroxide blonde scouse bird, wearing a greyhound, over the wheely bins at the back. Who might, if you really give it some welly, actually drop her kebab.

Something to aim for eh mate?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d say just eat sensibly throughout the day as you normally would and take a gel and a flap jack with you. I’d eat the flap jack at the halfway mark. You might not feel you need it, but its better than getting to 50miles and hitting the wall.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Newcy Brown in the camelbak, cold fish’n’chips in the jersey pocket………

speaker2animals

As said , don’t eat anything stupid during the day (triple strength curry etc), carbo drink in bottles or camelbak or a 50/50 mix of fruit juice/water with a pinch of salt. Flap jack/energy bar/gel or 2 in pocket/pack. Have you ever ridden over night before? It’s probably worth taking things suggested with you as time of day may have an effect on you. Enjoy.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Cheers people.

binners – which finishing school was it that you attended? 😉

mogrim

60 miles on the road wont be *that much* harder than 20 off road.

Depends a bit on the road, doesn’t it? I did a 60 mile road ride last week, and there were two cat 1 climbs in the middle – a lot harder than the 35 mile ride I did a couple of days later off road…

Not that this makes much difference to the OPs question. My answer: a banana and water will be more than enough to get you there.

donsimon
    Free Member

Don’t worry mate – You’re bound to pass a kebab house en route. You could make your Saturday night Blackpool experience complete by then having a fight outside said kebab house with a bloke called Bazza, then shagging a peroxide blonde scouse bird, wearing a greyhound, over the wheely bins at the back. Who might, if you really give it some welly, actually drop her kebab.

You’ve gotta love Blackpool, haven’t you?
    Take water and I eat a banana every hour, whether I need it or not.

stucowp
    Free Member

Am doing this as well and loving the weather forecast.

Plenty of water 2 bars and 2 caffeine gels should be enough to cover it. Aiming for under 3 hours, however preparation has been poor to say the least.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Aiming for under 3 hours, however preparation has been poor to say the least.

so 20mph plus average. you are a full on roadie then?
    or a slightly overweight sedentary I.T. working weekend warrior mtb’er?

only one of the above is going to do it under 3hrs.

Gary_M
    Free Member

If I’m doing a longish ride I would have a gel or energy bar every 30 minutes. Works better for me than just eating something whenever. Might not work for you though.

stucowp
    Free Member

so 20mph plus average. you are a full on roadie then?
    or a slightly overweight sedentary I.T. working weekend warrior mtb’er?

😆
    Neither, work in construction and bust my balls out every day and hold a good level of fitness, those who ride with me know that. did 55 mile in the dales 3 weeks ago 4000ft climbing in 3 hours.. think i stand a good chance. but it depends on the day/night. 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Great, work my nuts off and best I can do is 65 miles 4300′ in 4.10

You know you’re as fast as a first cat judging by reliability times, or are you one and just not saying?

winterfold
    Free Member

Hmm healthy Cat 2 pace and asking about nutrition on a 100km ride 🙄

Already busted by oldgit so why am I bothering

MrSmith
    Free Member

people that fit usually don’t do charity rides because of all the nodders with no road sense getting in the way.

nodder or racer? ❓

aa
    Free Member

some dick at the sky ride in leicester last year, complete with deep section carbon rims and aero overshoes was sticking it to the nodders last year.

he was THE MAN!

MrSmith
    Free Member

did he work in construction?

stucowp
    Free Member

well knocked out the ride in 2:47, totally enjoyed it and great to support a charity that did all it could to help my nephew who died of a rare heart condition back in May.

cat1/cat2?? whats that?

seriously i just ride hard all the time, used to race mtb 15year ago.

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/carlisle-family-want-transplant-law-change-after-death-of-young-son-1.842424?referrerPath=news/1.107813

MrSmith
    Free Member

cat1/cat2?? whats that?

seriously i just ride hard all the time, used to race mtb 15year ago.

you are genetically gifted. if you stopped “riding hard all the time” and trained properly with rest periods you could do what one of my clubmates did after returning to cycling after 15 years, he went from 4th cat (beginner) to elite in a year and a half of racing, and became a national champion TT’er for his age and road race champion for his age. embarrassed a few full time elites on the way.

you haven’t reached your potential on a bike, to do so wouldn’t mean a drastic change in your lifestyle/riding just smarter training.

failing that just continue enjoying upsetting the roadies 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘60 mile road ride – do I need to do anything food wise?’ is closed to new replies.