Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • £60 fines and CCTV crackdown on drivers who stop in bike boxes at lights
  • GrahamS

Incidentally they did try cracking down on ASL infringement in Edinburgh last year.

Police ran a four day crackdown on motorists in ASLs and cyclists (though not motorists) jumping red lights.

In that time they warned 106 motorists for ASLs, 26 cyclists for RLJing, and another 6 cyclists for pavement riding.

That seems pretty fair to me.

http://road.cc/content/news/58059-edinburgh-police-warn-more-100-motorists-encoroaching-advanced-stop-lines

The breakdown of the ASL infringers was interesting too:
    “53 private car drivers were warned for stopping in ASLs, plus drivers of 34 black cabs, 15 public service vehicles including coaches, and four buses. Some 85 per cent of motorists stopped were male.”

(Naturally the comments in The Scotsman complained about cyclists always breaking the rules..)

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

One of the letters in yesterday’s Standard was demanding that at the very least the cameras on ASLs were turned off at night when he did the majority of his driving and ‘there are no cyclists about’.

brakes
    Free Member

Some 85 per cent of motorists stopped were male

what percentage of all motorists were male? I bet it was 60-70%.

GrahamS

Yeah good example of a context-free stat that brakes – almost as useful as:

“..between 2004 and 2009, 74 per cent of cycle casualties in the city were injured at or within 20 metres of a junction…”

In other news, 74 percent of minor Edinburgh roads have a junction every 40 metres or less… 😀

klumpy
    Free Member

That’s just bollocks. This is actually a cycling forum isn’t it?

No.

GrahamS

One of the letters in yesterday’s Standard was demanding that at the very least the cameras on ASLs were turned off at night when he did the majority of his driving and ‘there are no cyclists about’.

WTF? What was his reasoning exactly? “I shouldn’t have to obey the law when it’s dark?”

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

WTF?

my thoughts exactly.

It’s the same thread of logic that sees bus lanes being peak hours only and parking allowed in cycle lanes at night. All those cars find somewhere to go during the day, and you don’t need to increase the capacity of roads when they’re not busy (ie off peak).

glupton1976
    Free Member

Today I ran a red light. I was sitting stopped at a red traffic light, behind the first stop line. Looked in the mirror as is my wont. Say this Edinburgh Council scaffy wagon coming towards me a bit fast – driver had a panicky look on his face, front of the truck was very low as i there were braking very harshly – like an energency stop. I pulled forwards to make sure that my kids who were in the back of my car weren’t going to get a truck to the back of the head head. They guy eventually stopped about a foot from my rear bumper which was by now beyond the second stop line. Morals of the story – when sitting at the lights – keep an eye on whats happening behind you and sometimes laws need to be broken. Had I stayed behind the line I dread to think what would have happened.

Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘£60 fines and CCTV crackdown on drivers who stop in bike boxes at lights’ is closed to new replies.