Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • £60 fines and CCTV crackdown on drivers who stop in bike boxes at lights
  • martinhutch

Is Andrew Gilligan now in charge of ‘Sexing Up’ cycling in London then? What could possibly go wrong?

brooess
    Free Member

tbh, they’re not that much of a problem IME, you just sit ahead of the green box.
    Mobile phones while driving, accelerating through orange/red, close passes and left hooks are far more dangerous to people cycling in London..

mrblobby
    Free Member

Good PR, easy to do, probably doesn’t cost much to set up, and will be a nice revenue stream. Doubt this would even make the top 10 in a cyclists list of dangerous driving practices though.

Edit: Also, WTF is that yellow thing in the photo?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Dear god no. What happens when someone in a car cant stop before the first stop line? Are they going to be encouraged to batter on through the now red light or are they going to be allowed to stop in the box before the 2nd stop line as they are at present?

brakes
    Free Member

daft idea.
    sometimes cars end up in the ASL, not because they’re being pushy but because the traffic has come to a standstill as they’re going through and they’ve got stuck. this will just encourage people to keep going through the reds.

EDIT: what ^^^^^ he said

neilnevill
    Free Member

Superb. I reckon the number of drivers that ignore the boxes and park in them has increased dramatically recently (last year or so). On my south london commute anyway. I’m all for this.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Dear god no. What happens when someone in a car cant stop before the first stop line? Are they going to be encouraged to batter on through the now red light or are they going to be allowed to stop in the box before the 2nd stop line as they are at present?

well both are jumping the red light what is your point caller?

Are you suggesting it is safer to only partially jump a red. If a cyclist has stopped in the box they get hit in either scenario

ir_bandito
    Free Member

when someone in a car can’t stop before the first stop line

Amber light should help. That and treat the ASLs as hatched areas. Simple.
    Seems like a good idea to me, even if it is just a money-spinner for TfL

spooky_b329

If you can’t stop safely you treat the ASL as a second stop line Junkyard. Hopefully they will only fine those who deliberately roll into them (which will cover most drivers)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mobile phones while driving, accelerating through orange/red, close passes and left hooks are far more dangerous to people cycling in London..

Perhaps at some point we will realise that points, fines and cameras don’t really help. Police might

phil.w
    Free Member

If you can’t stop safely you treat the ASL as a second stop line Junkyard. Hopefully they will only fine those who deliberately roll into them (which will cover most drivers)

If you can’t stop safely before the stop line you’re clearly doing something wrong. If lights went straight from green to red then maybe fair enough, fortunately we have that amber light in-between so really there is no excuse.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Exactly. The stop line is a stop line, whether its next to the traffic lights, or 8ft before. If there’s only 1 stop line, you wouldn’t expect traffic to cross it on red would you?

br
    Free Member

Money-creating idea, a bit like the box-junctions lights.

If it also impacts m/c’s I’m glad I’m no longer commuting on one.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Its also likely to piss motorists off further against us cyclists. They wont view it rationally, just as another thing we have and they don’t, because we don’t pay road tax yadda yadda yadda etc foam, wibble.

mrmo
    Free Member

your a driver, your under LICENCE, you do not have a god given right to drive.

If your driving according to the law you have nothing to worry about.

kimbers

money creating?

I thought the myth of traffic cameras being revenue generators had been debunked when councils started turning them off because they cost too much to run in the austere times

I think its a good idea

on busy days in london ASLs can have 10,20 cyclists sitting in them

might also help with the problem of lorries turning left etc

hora
    Free Member

The war on motorists continues.

cookeaa

I’m not a Londonist, but as someone who rides a bicycle on UK roads (we’ve got them outside of the capital too now!) I’d have to say Drivers using Mobiles, and close passing are way further up my list of gripes than Range rovers drifting over the odd ASL…

TBH a statement like one this just feels like a “Low hanging fruit” exercise.

Essentially it’s a promise to shift responsibility to TFL and make a more a more concerted effort to enforce one of the more minor points of road traffic law, while still failing to enforce some of the more significant elements. All to demonstrate a bit of political alignment with bicyclists in the Capital just as a reminder that Boris (& Co) still apparently care…

I’d be interested to know if TFL are getting any extra funding for the CCTV monitoring and enforcement of ASL’s? They would basically be taking over a job the MET can’t really be arsed with, so there must be some additional work / cost involved…
    And if so is this an effective use of apparently restricted public funds?

If you’re going to spend money on some sort of automated CCTV, evidence gathering and enforcement system, develop one that catches motorists using their mobiles while driving!

dan1980
    Free Member

The war on motorists continues.

Somewhat melodramatic….

The highway code is pretty clear on the matter see rules 175, 176 and 178.

https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/road-junctions-170-to-183

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If your driving according to the law in the 5 places where cameras will actually be looking then you have nothing to worry about.

FIFY

Camera monitoring has no judgement just absolutes which leads to a lack of respect for it.

D0NK

Amber light should help.

haha you’re funny

That and treat the ASLs as hatched areas

so completely ignore them then?

Money-creating idea, a bit like the box-junctions lights.

do you mean box junction cameras? Yeah coz I mean WTF is the point of box junctions? oh hang on A box junction is a road traffic control measure designed to prevent congestion and gridlock at junctions. so a really good idea then? Wish they had a camera on the one near my house, idiots on the main road block the junction, lights change no-one from the cross road can go anywhere lights change again 🙄 idiots.

hora – Member

The war on motorists continues.no hora the war on the shit driver continues puts in a half hearted appearance

hora
    Free Member

So as well as having to avoid going into a box junction, not making any u-turns, cameras at lights, various cameras for infringements everywhere if you are in fairly heavy traffic and any part of your car is left in the box you are now fined?

Its inevitable for any honest decent motorist- the vast majority of the ones who will be caught wont be anti-cyclists but it WILL be a good revenue stream.

I was fined £70 by Hammersmith & Fulham for an illegal u-turn- big wide open road on a quiet Sunday morning towards BBC/White City. I went back- no official no Uturn highway signs, just a small council one.

D0NK

if you are in fairly heavy traffic and any part of your car is left in the box you are now fined?

if your bumper is hanging over the line and you get fined you have my sympathies, no leeway with a camera, but the amount of people who just don’t give a fig about road markings is pretty bad. In heavy traffic everything get’s ignored, pedestrian crossings are blocked, box junctions, ASLs it’s like drivers have agreed that all rules are off during rush hour.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The other main problem with road makings in heavy traffic is they get painted on the actual road 🙂 under the cars. Better signs are probably needed, move the lights back and give the cyclists a bike light ahead of the crowd. Though that might cost money so ignore that

hora
    Free Member

Then there are the bus lane cameras. In some parts of Manchester seeing a regular bus on a route is an enigma- yet most of them now are covered by CCTV/fines in rush hour. Half the road space but don’t utilise, thats joined-up thinking for you 🙄

cookeaa

So as well as having to avoid going into a box junction, not making any u-turns, cameras at lights, various cameras for infringements everywhere if you are in fairly heavy traffic and any part of your car is left in the box you are now fined?

Its inevitable for any honest decent motorist- the vast majority of the ones who will be caught wont be anti-cyclists but it WILL be a good revenue stream.

I was fined £70 by Hammersmith & Fulham for an illegal u-turn- big wide open road on a quiet Sunday morning towards BBC/White City. I went back- no official no Uturn highway signs, just a small council one.

Terrible innit!

It’s enough to make people want to take up cycling or something…

I always thought U-turns were basically illegal, irrespective of the presence of a sign telling you so…

D0NK

The other main problem with road makings in heavy traffic is they get painted on the actual road

true but they normally do have lights to accompany them and a certain junction-y appearance. Pretty sure you’re not supposed to block junctions without yellow markings either, and busy side streets for that matter. Unthinkingly driving 6″ from the guy in front is stupid even if it is at 3mph, but i know a lot of people do it, I have in the past, you can’t complain about getting pulled up for it.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

There’ve got to be some trolls on here, so I’m going to stop contributing.

The fact is, TfL are going to penalise drivers for breaking the law. Only those drivers who break the law will get penalised. I fail to see how that’s a problem.

Yes, there are other (road) laws that get broken and are dangerous, but there seems to be a fairly easy way of monitoring and catching guilty drivers on this one, so why not?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So as well as having to avoid going into a box junction

Read the highway code, you can enter them as long as your exit is clear, otherwise they’d have to say no right turns (or stop oncoming trafic).

bus lane cameras. In some parts of Manchester seeing a regular bus on a route is an enigma

Maybe because the busses get to where they’re going rather than sitting in traffic?

D0NK

so why not?

I think the reasons are that for every camera you put up 23 police officers who actually stop proper road crimes are made redundant and the other is that it’s just not fair! (stamps foot)

klumpy
    Free Member

Doubt this would even make the top 10 in a cyclists list of dangerous driving practices though.

Traffic enforcement has nothing to do with what’s needed, but what’s easy. If this follows the speed camera policy then pretty soon we’ll be hearing that “two thirds of accidents are caused by encroaching on an ASL”.

(Seeing as ASL rules are so vital to road safety, they’ll also be looking to fine cyclists who enter them through the solid line, yes..? 😉 )

The user group totally forgotten here is motorcyclists. What would the cyclists here prefer them to do when they filter to the front? (And bear in mind you might be behind them when they do.)

birdy
    Free Member

[/quote]I was fined £70 by Hammersmith & Fulham for an illegal u-turn- big wide open road on a quiet Sunday morning towards BBC/White City. I went back- no official no Uturn highway signs, just a small council one. [/quote]

If the signs present didn’t comply with the diagram below then challenge the fine.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/3113/images/uksi_20023113_en_034

D0NK

What would the cyclists here prefer them to do when they filter to the front?

you mean we get to decide? awesome. OK you can filter to the front but then you have to get off and do a little dance before you can enter the ASL?

personally I dunno about motorbikes in bus lanes/asls, seems reasonable for them to use them i guess, but no idea what the arguments against are.

cookeaa

(Seeing as ASL rules are so vital to road safety, they’ll also be looking to fine cyclists who enter them through the solid line, yes..? )

Bunny hop the line, problem solved… 😉

The fact is, TfL are going to penalise drivers for breaking the law. Only those drivers who break the law will get penalised. I fail to see how that’s a problem.

The fact is that the MET are already supposed to be doing this.
    The mayor’s office proposal is actually to transfer responsibility for detection and enforcement of a specific (Low level) motoring offence from the police to a regional transport authority, apparently as a means of bolstering their funding…

It’s not about enforcing the law or making roads safer (catching Mobile using Drivers would be a far better way to do that), it’s about creating a new source of funding for a public body…

spooky_b329

If you can’t stop safely before the stop line you’re clearly doing something wrong. If lights went straight from green to red then maybe fair enough, fortunately we have that amber light in-between so really there is no excuse.

You have to decide to stop or continue during that amber…I can make that decision. But then they add another stop line five metres further away. Where pre-ASL it would have been fine to continue through on amber, now you’d be cheeky and cutting the red very close on the second stop line. Its not an offence to cross the first stop line on amber and wait at the second line if it would have been unsafe to attempt to stop at the first, so hopefully they will just prosecute those who deliberately stop in the box through laziness/ignorance.

glupton1976
    Free Member

well both are jumping the red light what is your point caller?

What about the situation where stopping for the first stop line would be an emergency stop and dangerous, but stopping for the second one would be safe? Do they just batter on through?

Also – what does an amber light mean?

mrmo
    Free Member

how do red light cameras work? do they go off just because you are infront of a line, or do they go off if you drive past the line?

IS there a trigger in the road surface that sets off the camera?

Yes the police should be more obvious and pull up drivers using phones etc, the reality is it is not going to happen. So the more drivers are hit for breaking the law the better. Too many drivers think they have a god given right to use the road. Anything that makes them think is good. I am still amazed by the number of drivers who whinge when they are caught speeding. 90% of the time if they had been looking where they were going they would have seen the bright yellow camera or the big transit parked by the side of the road, or more crucially if they had bothered to look at the dial on the dashboard that tells them how fast they are going they wouldn’t have to worry!!!!!!

As for the crap about having to many places to look and concentrating on the speedo not the road, highway code is quite clear, drive according to the conditions. If you can’t check the speed your traveling at because there is too much going on around you, maybe, just maybe you should think about going SLOWER!!!!!

the speed limit is a LIMIT!!!!

Maybe there should be compulsary tacho’s/blackboxes in all cars?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I know I said I wasn’t going to comment any more but:

Its not an offence to cross the first stop line on amber

Highway Code begs to differ:

Advanced stop lines. Some signal-controlled junctions have advanced stop lines to allow cycles to be positioned ahead of other traffic. Motorists, including motorcyclists, MUST stop at the first white line reached if the lights are amber or red and should avoid blocking the way or encroaching on the marked area at other times

gwaelod
    Free Member

Amber light means accelerate.

Traffic lights would be better if they got rid of Amber’s completely and made the green lights come on 3seconds before the green light on the opposing side of the junction switched to red.

Everyone would then be far more circumspect at them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘£60 fines and CCTV crackdown on drivers who stop in bike boxes at lights’ is closed to new replies.