6 week bike service

Home Forum Bike Forum 6 week bike service

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 6 week bike service
  • Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

They should do yes.

You may have untrued it a little but shouldn’t have done anything major.

PeterPoddy

We would if it came to us, yes. Point it out to them when you take it in.

TurnerGuy

Some shops don’t look at spokes in the first service, but you should mention the lose spokes as that is a ‘fault’ really, poor wheel build.

hainman

cheers guys,i’ll say to them that im not happy my wheel in this state after 6weeks,probably only been out on it 7-8 times….

trail_rat

“Some shops don’t look at spokes in the first service, but you should mention the lose spokes as that is a ‘fault’ really, poor wheel build.”

really – WTF .

go take your car over some sweet jumps and see how it fairs when you ask them to sort the damage under the first service…..anyway for all the time it will take they might as well , i would have thats for sure. go in demanding it be fixed and youll be met with resistance. just explain you noticed these spokes were loose.

hainman

im putting my bike in for its 6 week free service,The shop is Dales in Glasgow,im wondering if they will true a wheel under this service or if i will have to pay,was at Ae on friday and when i went to remove my back wheel there was about 4 spokes very loose,is there a chance i could have done damage to my wheel??
    Cheers

Craig

b r

cheers guys,i’ll say to them that im not happy my wheel in this state after 6weeks,probably only been out on it 7-8 times….

Why the confrontation, just mention that a few spokes are loose along with anything else that you’ve noticed.

TurnerGuy

No confrontation from me – I didn’t say demand – I just said mention the spokes.

If I were doing a first service then spokes would be one of the things I would look at, a collapsing wheel is a lot more dangerous than the gears not indexing, etc.

Decently built wheels won’t be loosening spokes like this.

spookynips

go in demanding it be fixed and youll be met with resistance.

True story

hainman

im just saying after 6weeks and not much riding im not happy my spokes are so loose,no body said i was going to CONFRONT anyone,just put my point across in a reasonable manner,i paid a hell of a lot of money for the bike,so i dont think its to much to expect the wheels to be in better form…..
    Anyhoo they said they would happily check the spoke tension,but not sure if this means trueing the wheel??

martinxyz

cheers guys,i’ll say to them that im not happy my wheel in this state after 6weeks

im not happy my wheel in this state

im not happy

It boils down to these three words. Try booking the bike in for the 1st service and say something along the lines of ‘I noticed the spokes were a bit loose/slight buckle.. could you sort that out as well? I don’t mind paying extra for a little extra work while it’s in’

99% of the time I reckon you’d get it sorted for free.

The words ‘not happy’ won’t help you one bit.

trail_rat

if you have poor jumping technique i would fully expect wheels spokes to loosen – no matter how good the build is if you flat spot the rim the spokes will lose tension 😉

PeterPoddy

if you have poor jumping technique i would fully expect wheels spokes to loosen

I wouldn’t. And they shouldn’t. Multiple loose spokes is poor wheel building, nothing more.

I’ll guarantee any wheel I build for the life of the rim.

IA

You can easily loosen a load of spokes/snap spokes with one duff landing… could happen on the first time out, or 100th time out… on a good wheel or a bad one.

I’ll guarantee any wheel I build for the life of the rim.

Really?

On spokes loosening and buckles?

hainman

so what do you determine as bad jumping technique?? I try to land on both wheels or rear 1st,im not a big jumper,biggest drops i do are a couple of feet.
    Its sorted,they said they would check the wheel as its in the workshop the now,but is checking spoke tension going to true the wheel??

pinetree

well this is escalating quickly!

Sometimes spokes come loose- it’s as simple as that. There’s no reason to get all worked up about it.
    Just mention it to the guys at Dales and I’m sure they’ll sort it. I know a lot of the guys there personally, and they’re a decent bunch.

Anyway, why are you asking this on a forum, and not asking them? https://www.dalescycles.com/contact-us-f1

PeterPoddy

Really?
    On spokes loosening and buckles?

Yep really. 🙂 As any good wheel builder should be able to do.
    Bend the rim too far and its game over, and if you bend it far enough to end the life of the rim then, yes, you’ll have loose spokes but spokes do not “come loose” at random on a properly built wheel.

As I said on my first post in this thread, if you brought that bike to me for its first service I’d sort the wheel. Bikes come with machine built wheels and I’d expect any MTB that’s been used as such to need its wheels breathing on at the first service. You can tell if its been abused.

You’d be surprised at how much attention even brand new wheels on fairly expensive bikes need at PDI stage, by the way.

hainman

@pinetree,i have already asked them,they have quite nicely agreed to look at the tension of my spokes,i suppose i should have asked the guy on the phone when i booked it in last week,an honest mistake,i only wanted to know if this was covered by service or would i need to pay,it was only a simple question,i never expected it to go as it has,now i know they are looking at it,i wanted to know was….is spoke tension the same as trueing the wheel.which no-one has really answered,maybe this is down to my inexperience,it just went of key,but everyone is just offering their own opinion of how the spokes have came loose,which i suppose is what happens on a forum,difference of opinion…..

TurnerGuy

Who mentioned jumping anyway – not the OP…

hainman

@petterpoddy im not that much of a rider so hasnt been abused but maybe due to me not being the most experienced rider,it could be down to rider error,bit it wasnt dinged so unless something has clipped it on the trail im at a loss as to why they were slack,and i mean SLACK!!!could move them so easily when i was taking the wheel off,im hoping it hasnt mucked my wheel up,

trail_rat

Have you ridden at ae turnerguy . Its safe to assume he might have had a go at jumpin there 😉

bencooper

is spoke tension the same as trueing the wheel

Yes. They’ll check all the spokes are at the right tension, and if not they’ll tighten them, and true the wheel while they’re at it.

Most production bikes have machine-made wheels. Sometimes the machine has a hiccup. No big deal, nothing a good mechanic can’t sort quickly and easily. It’s things like this that the first service is for.

patriotpro

go take your car over some sweet jumps

really – WTF .

hainman

Thanks bencooper that’s the answer i was looking for……

TurnerGuy

It’s things like this that the first service is for.

that’s what I was saying, some first services don’t check the wheels/spokes so it is worth pointing them out.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘6 week bike service’ is closed to new replies.