Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 6 hours to kill in Taunton
  • Pz_Steve

Got an unexpected day around Taunton coming up with a 6 hour free pass, and I don’t know what to do with it. Any suggestions?

Obviously it would be good if I can do something bike based, – though I ought to say I’m not bike fit at the moment so I’m not after too much of a challenge! Would this be an opportunitiy to explore the Quantocks / Mendips / Exmoor, or should I come back with more time and fitness? And how are they riding at the moment?

Or is there anything in/around Taunton that would be worth doing? I’m happy to sit in a coffee shop all day with a book if it comes down to it, and indeed that’s my fall-back plan, but I could do that at home so it seems a shame.

To clarify, this is a six hour window starting and ending with me in the middle of the town (the Mrs has something on for the day and I’m doing drop-off / collection duties). Travelling time to wherever I’m going will have to come out of the 6 hours.

Thanks for your help!!
    Steve

theotherjonv

Go to Lyme Regis. Explore some dinosaur stuff. Have a massive cake in the coffee shop. Walk on the beach and throw pebbles into the sea. Have fish and chips.

carlphillips
    Free Member

Triscombe!
    quite close to drive there and back
    25 (ish) great trails all within a very small area all winch and plummet so you get maximum descending with no need for any route finding or boring slog across open moorland, just ride to the top find a trail and repeat until tired which for me is usually well within 6 hours! rides very well in the wet too..

yunki
    Free Member

Quantocks surely?

Dibbs
    Free Member

Taunton to Lydeard Hill car park 25 minutes, ride along the ridge of the Quantocks pretty easy to follow and not too taxing, enjoy the scenery.
    If you’re feeling fit drop down into one of the combes but be warned the climbs out are sharp.
    Easily doable in 6 hours.

Edit: I didn’t suggest Triscombe because of this (lots of pushing involved).

though I ought to say I’m not bike fit at the moment so I’m not after too much of a challenge!

Pz_Steve

This is brilliant folks, thanks very much!

I can see a fun (but unproductive) day at work, planning….

lilchris
    Free Member

6 hours to kill in Taunton

Wasn’t that a Steven Seagal movie!?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

For a relaxed(ish) option, if the timings work out you could get yourself to Bishop’s Lydeard, stick your bike on a WSR train out to Williton, ride from there up to West Quantoxhead (sharpish but OK road / fire road climb) and then back along the Quantocks ridge with any number of great downhill options back to the start.

poey50
    Free Member

6 hours to kill in Taunton

Nah .. I think you’ll find that’s early Enid Blyton. (Ladybird serial killer series.)

binners

Go and drink cider in a park and shout at buses

twicewithchips
    Free Member

I thought it smelled bad… on the outside

Pz_Steve

binners – Member
    Go and drink cider in a park and shout at buses

… thought it’d be nice to do something different for a change.

I’m liking the look of the Quantocks. I think I might go for the Lydeard Hill car park suggestion, but maybe add in a couple of descents if I’m in the mood. Which begs the next question: any ‘must do’ trails or any that look great on the map but are a bit disappointing to ride? And last Question – how do they ride after quite so much rain?

Thanks again!

drlex
    Free Member

Go and drink cider in Vivary park and shout at other ne’er-do-wellls

Corrected from the relative comfort & safety of Exeter.
    If you’re heading to BsL for the Quantocks and also a steam train fan, there’s the West Somerset railway out that way.

Dibbs
    Free Member

The train is running this week due to half term but I’m not sure how long for.

Dibbs
    Free Member

how do they ride after quite so much rain?

The Quantocks is pretty weatherproof, I’ve been riding up there the past three days on the CX bike with worn out semi-slicks. (but then I know what places to avoid). 😉

zero-cool
    Free Member

Triscombe. It’s right there and great fun. There’s a FB group who are happy to give advice and guidance to trails.

saxabar
    Free Member

Glad I’m not the only one who read the title that way. Always comforting to know I’m not the only psychopath in the village.

rob2
    Free Member

I Iive in Taunton. Woop. lydeard hill car park and follow the ridge then dip down a coombe or two and back up. It will be wet but not overly muddy as largely rock away from triscombe.

Or get some cider and drink in vivary park with the others and go poo in the bushes near the bandstand – which appears to be how it works!

harryjan
    Free Member

Apologies to the OP for the hijack but heading to the Quantocks for the first time saturday.

I’ve the MBR killer loop GPX saved but are there any better options/recommendations?

Quantock Hills, Somerset route

oxym0r0n

Infinite options but not sure what the killer loop serves up…

cannondaleking
    Free Member

RNAS yeoviltons fleet air arm museum dude seeing as the aircraft I used to work on are now retired and up for sale and my heart wants one but at £150,000 I’m out and gutted but anyway the museum is well worth a look.

Yes I still miss the navy a bit lol

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘6 hours to kill in Taunton’ is closed to new replies.