Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 6 days in NYC – what to do?
  • andygreener

In Feb with the mrs and stepdaughters (14&17). Any recommendations on what we could do please? Cheap/free helpful but not essential.
    Many thanks

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Free – Central Park and the highline.

Everything else is eye wateringly expensive 😆

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Central Park Zoo, Guggenheim, MOMA, statue of liberty, Sta5en Isle ferry, Sunset up the big buildings

Usual shit

DrJ

Central Park, 5th Avenue, Grand Central, Greenwich Village, Chinatown/Litte Italy, Highline Park, Brooklyn Bridge, Fulton Fish Market, Staten Island ferry, Empire State (not cheap but essential 🙂 ), Chelsea Market, the list is endless, really 🙂

LardLover
    Free Member

A ride on the Cyclone Rollercoaster at Coney Island, then a hot dog at Nathan’s. Walk over the Brooklyn Bridge to take in the view of Manhattan (well worth it imho) especially at night.

JEngledow
    Free Member

If you go up the Empire State Building try and do it just before sun-set and hang about a bit, that way you get to see the city in the the light and dark!

jkomo

All of the above, but spend time down town, TriBeCa, west village etc.
    This is the low rise, red brick area, has an awesome feel.
    Walk the highline (free) from north to south, this is free and just amazing.
    At the end is an undercover area with cafés and bars.
    The Boris bikes are good as you can pretty much do the circumference without crossing roads so it’s a nice ride. You can ride or walk the Brooklyn bridge (for free)which is on a deck way above the traffic.
    Staten Island ferry is worth it as it is free.

Pizzas, from my sister who lived in the village:

Joe’s for a slice, John’s to sit down for a pie- both in Greenwich village. I prefer Joe’s. For a fun restaurant w good Italian pizza: Ovest in Chelsea.
    I preferred Johns btw.

We went to a club at the top of the Standard Hotel, which was amazing, views of just about everything from the roof top bar. Obviously no chance of getting the kids in at night and you will need passports, not sure what goes on during the day:
    http://standardhotels.com/high-line/food-drink/le-bain

easygirl

Is the roller coaster not out of action after the storms last year
    Will probably be bitterly cold in feb, so get wrapped up.
    Fantastic place new york, get a 7 day unlimited underground ticket and do some travelling to the outer boroughs
    Some nice restaurants and pubs on smith street in brooklyn
    The underground museum is worth a visit, loads of old cars housed in a disued station
    I wouldent say its eye wateringly expensive
    Have a great time

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Met – lose yourself in one of the best museums there is.
    Top of the Rock – better views, imho.

Re the Guggenheim -great building, but often full of dross. Check what’s on before paying to go in!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Buy a Rough Guide or similar.

UN building is good.

BillMC

Go to Bleecker St, Greenwich Village and eat at Fish and drink a beer in the Blind Tiger over the road. You will not be disappointed. Walk over the Williamsburg Bridge, it wobbles, and Williamsburg has the Brooklyn Brewery and a great second hand clothes shop directly opposite.
    I much prefer the villages than uptown big shops etc. Take the Staten Island Ferry, run round the station and come back…..for free! Buy jeans and Carharrt stuff for peanuts at Dave’s, Avenue of the Americas (check the website). I like NY.

zippykona

Go and see this on the USS Enterprise. Hopefully the Shuttle will be open . Really good day out.
    Ps I dare you to touch something on the submarine and see what happens. Mr Shouty man would not be happy!

allfankledup

I went to the Met museum last year (actually 2012) – brilliant – some amazing stuff

Rockefeller centre for the views

Chelsea pier / high line were great last summer – walked the highlife in July at 11pm – beautiful experience

Madison Square Garden to watch an ice hockey game – we got tickets for the Rangers vs the Phoenix Coyotes for $50 each, 6 rows off the ice – awesome – great atmosphere

Century 21 for the shopping

Food is generally meh – bills burgers down near ground zero was my best experience to date.

bikerdan
    Free Member

Top of the Rock at sunset, then you get the views of the Empire State building.

DrJ

Dunno about the food being meh – but there are some things that have to be done, like pastrami on rye at 2nd Ave Deli.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Comfortable shoes, and just walk, walk walk. Eat fab food.

Head to Brooklyn for awesome food markets.

muddyground
    Free Member

Wife and two daughters? Only one place to go then; Woodbury Common.

McHamish
    Free Member

Me and my wife spent a week there in 2012.

My main piece of advice is walk

If your wife or your daughters enjoy musicals, then eat at Ellen’s Stardust Diner, the waiters/waitresses are all wannabe broadway musical stars and they sing for tips.

Liberty Island is boring…better seen from a distance and the Staten Island ferry is free, and goes right past it. But you can usually go there with a package to visit Ellis Island which I recommend. I’m a bit of a nerd when it comes to historical attractions, and there’s a lot to learn about immigration into New York and America.

muddyground
    Free Member

Ellen’s Stardust Diner

Man, I’d forgotten that place – it’s hillarious, especially after a few…..

johndoh
    Free Member

Cheap same day tickets to an matinee performance of a show on Broadway.

DezB
    Free Member

Eat in a deli, but not a Chinese.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I think most of the other postings have it covered, the only one missing is Grand Central Station, amazing place and in the basement theres a food hall that sells the biggest cakes. Over the road is a proper NY diner, perfect for breakfast, Pershings.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘6 days in NYC – what to do?’ is closed to new replies.