Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 6 bolt and centerlock rotor question
  • Mounty_73

I have a rear wheel that uses 6 bolts. I now need a new wheel but the ones that I am looking at only have the centerlock in stock.

Can you just simply swap over to and use a wheel with a centrelock rotor on my existing brake system?

I know I will need to purchase a centerlock rotor for the new wheel, but I just need to know if you can swap and that they are comaptible, cheers.

scotroutes

Yes, just buy a centrelock rotor the same size and you are good to go (or to stop 😂)

BearBack
    Free Member

You can use an adapter for your existing rotor. Wheel probably comes with it too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As BearBack says, if not addapters are cheaper than disks.

You might need a tool to fit them, the spanner style BB tool wont fit over the disk, you need the socket style one.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Here you go, just incase the wheel doesn’t come with one..

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-centre-lock-adaptor-sm-rtad05-/rp-prod130953

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Don’t forget the loctite!

scotroutes

Bloody heathens!!

footflaps

Centrelock discs seem much more expensive than the 6 bolt ones. Just bought a bargain disc wheel for my commuter and then lost any price advantage buying a bloody centre lock disc….

Northwind

Ashima do a good adaptor, if your wheel doesn’t come with one.

forked
    Free Member
    sockpuppet

If you want an adapter I can probably send you one for free

Mounty_73

Are there any pros/cons to going over centre lock rotors?

Mounty_73

If you want an adapter I can probably send you one for free

If you can, yes please. That’s very generous of you.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Quicker to build on a production line.

Depending on the specific hub/rotor combination it’s usually a fraction lighter.

Cheaper (because it’s the OEM parts that no one wants).

scotroutes

Are there any pros/cons to going over centre lock rotors

That depends on how many knackered rotor bolts you’ve had to deal with. I’m guessing most of the bike shop mechanics will have seen a few.

Also, some hub/fork combos would have rotor bolts hitting fork lowers.

footflaps

Pretty impossible for a centre lock disc to come unattached as the brake calliper keeps it in place, whereas six bolts can come loose (never seen it happen mind).

honourablegeorge

footflaps

Pretty impossible for a centre lock disc to come unattached as the brake calliper keeps it in place, whereas six bolts can come loose (never seen it happen mind).

How does the brake caliper (attached to the fork) keep a centrelock disc (attached to the wheel) in place?

whitestone
    Free Member

Yes, you can always fit a 6 bolt rotor to a centre lock wheel (with adapter) but you can’t do the opposite. Probably only a requirement if you prang the rotor and the shop only has centre lock.

footflaps

How does the brake caliper (attached to the fork) keep a centrelock disc (attached to the wheel) in place?

For a centrelock disc to come off the wheel it has to slide quite a way to the side (about 10mm) before it comes off the hub. The disc rotates through the brake calliper which is bolted in place to the fork/frame and has an opening 1-2mm wider than the disc. You can’t slide the disc off the hub when a wheel is in the fork / frame as the brake pads are in the way.

honourablegeorge

footflaps

For a centrelock disc to come off the wheel it has to slide quite a way to the side (about 10mm) before it comes off the hub. The disc rotates through the brake calliper which is bolted in place to the fork/frame and has an opening 1-2mm wider than the disc. You can’t slide the disc off the hub when a wheel is in the fork / frame as the brake pads are in the way.

Not sure I’d be citing that as a benefit – and pretty sure I’ve been able to remove a centrelock disc without taking off the wheel. If anything, having one point of failure as opposed to six makes it less secure.

tjmoore

For the consumer, in my opinion, no benefits either with centerlock rotor or centelock hubs.

I’ve only got a centerlock hub on one set of wheels because I needed a quick cheap set and being DT factory wheels of the shelf they’re centerlock only (shops can get oem versions that are 6 bolt). Got perfectly good one piece 6 bolt rotors so I use an adapter. Cheaper than centerlock rotors.

The DT adapter is a bit rubbish though. It keeps loosening and it’s difficult to tighten down enough to grip the disc without play. It won’t come off and fine under braking but it’s weird when rocking bike back and forth with brake on. Can’t tighten on the trail unless I carry a bulky tool with me.

I’m thinking of swapping to Shimano adapter as they appear to bolt the disc onto the adapter, then you screw the adapter onto the hub.

All my other wheels are DT350 hubs that I specced with 6 bolt to avoid this nonsense.

BearBack
    Free Member

The DT adapter is a bit rubbish though. It keeps loosening and it’s difficult to tighten down enough to grip the disc without play

About 4 wraps of PTFE tape on the splines and you’ll be set. Some will turn over and end up in the threads which is also useful
    This is my standard practice now and significantly reduces rotor movement and occasional loosening.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘6 bolt and centerlock rotor question’ is closed to new replies.