Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 453 total)
  • 6.8 kg road bike
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

Im not sure i agree with this! That will screw it far more towards the lower end of the price range and tells us the average price of what folks spend on a bike, not what the average bike costs to buy.

Yep, I’m not sure either, but I’m going to argue my case anyway.

Surely the average price of what folks spend on a bike is the average bike. By definition.

trail_rat
    Free Member

its a number , That much is true.

The difference between claris and ultegra is night and day in terms of smoothness and speed of shift – my commuter has claris and the propel has R8000. Much smoother.

your 600 quid bike hasnt got disks

when you look at that kilo as a % of total weight package its minimal.

I have an MTB that weighs same as that domane . it wont go even close to as fast even with the same rider – even if the road points upwards.

pdw
    Free Member

Surely the average price of what folks spend on a bike is the average bike. By definition.

Yep, but the phrase that triggered this fantastically pedantic discussion was “mid-range”.

Which means half-way between the top and the bottom. I think you could reasonably argue that that means half way between the top and bottom price, or the price of the bike that is half way through the range (i.e. same number of models above and below).

It’s not a very useful measure, other than of manufacturers’ ability to design ranges that make extremely expensive bikes look reasonably priced 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Just buy golf clubs.

daern
    Free Member

when you look at that kilo as a % of total weight package its minimal.

OK, turn it around. Would *you* walk into a shop and drop over £3k on a road bike that weighs that much, knowing full well that the same money could buy you a substantially lighter bike elsewhere? I’m not sure I would. (In fact, I’m pretty certain that I wouldn’t!)

As I said, weight isn’t everything, but it is something and that Domane is a good example of something I’ve known for some time – major manufacturers are lazy and they know full well that it costs money to make a bike light. By making it heavier, the frameset will be less expensive to make, will have a higher margin and thus they make more money from each one sold. Punters look at groupsets (well, rear mechs anyway) and flash carbon bits. They don’t notice the cheap, downgraded chain and cassette, that the wheels are made of depleted uranium and that the tyres have all of the grip of skateboard wheels.

Of course we all know that speed is 95% rider, 5% bike, but it’s still your money and your choice where to spend it. An expensive, portly bike is never going to be high up my shopping list…

Haze

I’ll be looking at pre-ordering 2021 build. Bikes are selling like hot cakes at the moment, unless you’re XS or XXL, there’s not a lot in stock anywhere

Orbeas are out of stock I was told this morning, 2021 are due in September.

My ‘wishlist’ is very similar to yours, also finding it difficult to find an Addict frameset in my size (none of the off the peg builds float my boat).

Current R3 is 7.1Kg and I know I’m going to have to stomach a 2 or 3 hundred grams extra.

simondbarnes

As I said, weight isn’t everything, but it is something and that Domane is a good example of something I’ve known for some time – major manufacturers are lazy and they know full well that it costs money to make a bike light. By making it heavier, the frameset will be less expensive to make, will have a higher margin and thus they make more money from each one sold

Or the tech they’ve added to the frame to make it more comfortable has a weight penalty. Have you seen a Domane SL?

trail_rat
    Free Member

knowing full well that the same money could buy you a substantially lighter bike elsewhere? I’m not sure I would.

well i could have bought a lighter bike than my propel for my 3K Retail. wouldnt have had the features i wanted though.

still climbs like a stabbed rat.

footflaps

Orbeas are out of stock I was told this morning, 2021 are due in September.

I’ve been told late July, but only Etap groupsets, apparently they can’t get hold of Di2 groupsets.

Quite tempted by the 2020 Orca OMX M21eLTD-D, not 100% convinced, but maybe this colour…

trail_rat
    Free Member

other than the big SRAM boxes that is lovely.

footflaps

other than the big SRAM boxes that is lovely.

I’d prefer Ultegra Di2, but due to CV-19 there is a global shortage, too many ‘mid range’ bikes being sold 😉

Haze

It’s the one I’m looking at, but with MyO paint and hopefully a couple of tweaks to the build.

Interestingly a different dealer local to me has now also said July, so…

w00dster

I’ve got the previous Domane sl, when I stopped racing I thought I’d go Uber comfortable and not worry about weight and speed. That mindset lasted about 6 months before I wanted a lighter bike.
    Looking at the current Domane SLR, you need to be spending about £6k to get a 8.5kg bike. Nice looking bikes and I’m sure they meet their key criteria of being comfortable, but that’s a lot of weight for such an expensive bike. The Madone is similar. £7000 gets you an 8.1kg Madone with Ultegra Di2 or £5200 gets the lower spec frame, non integrated bar and stem and Ultegra Di2 weighing 8.25.
    Be interesting to see what the new Emonda is like.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

My Cannondale CAAD12 105 with saddle, seatpost and bars swapped out, ~1600g wheels and tubeless tyres weighs ~7.3kg. I reckon it will have been significantly less than £2k in total. So another £3k to find 500g? Easy. If you’re sensible and scrutinise everything.

Or have I missed something in the 90 odd previous posts since the OP?

simondbarnes

Or have I missed something in the 90 odd previous posts since the OP?

Well the OP wants aero, completely concealed cables & disc brakes as well as 6.8kg.

murdooverthehill

Not really relevant to the OP’s post but as the Domane has been mentioned a couple of times:- I bought a 2018 model SL6 disc 2 years ago and it rolled in at 8.2kg and it’s now jumped to 9.3kg which I don’t get, as aside from increasing the cassette from 32 to 34t and the fancy wee cubby hole in the down tube the spec is pretty much the same. Love the bike btw, does exactly what I want, really comfy over long (for an old decrepit git like me) distances.

epicsteve
    Free Member

This reminds me a bit of when (maybe 15 years ago) I really had to have a sub 20lb mountain bike. I built one (thankfully not at all that much expense) only to find that I didn’t particularly like riding it.

I suspect you could spend a fair bit of cash building a 6.8kg bike but with the only actually value in it being able to tell folks how light it was and bore them by telling them it was the same weight as a Tour de France bike.

My Roubaix is never going to be particularly light (it’s 8.2kg even with Dura-Ace wheels fitted) however for me at least I suspect it’d be faster over distance than many/most lighter bikes as it’s so comfortable.

I’m also a fat biffer so would probably break a really light build!

footflaps

This reminds me a bit of when (maybe 15 years ago) I really had to have a sub 20lb mountain bike. I built one (thankfully not at all that much expense) only to find that I didn’t particularly like riding it.

I used to race a sub 20lb Scott Scale many moons ago, absolutely loved how it flew up hills, wasn’t quite so good on the downs (more me than it though)….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/8oRZz8]The Scale[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

tpbiker
    Free Member

I think folk’s expectations of weight are set by some fairly optimistic claims..

2019 Tarmac expert disc here with mechanical ultegra, paid £3250 in sales last year & that weights 7.3kg in 58.

I weighed the very same bike in medium on the shops park scales and without pedals it was around 7.6kg as I recall (I remember as it was pretty much identical to the tcr I also had my eye on). Likewise I fail to see how it would be lighter than the 7.5kg sworks with full duraace that the chap mentioned he was selling earlier in this thread.

If you weigh it 10 times on luggage scales and pick the smallest reading maybe, but in reality I’m pretty confident that’s not it’s real weight. Still a cracking bike though, it was a choice between that and my tcr when I bought mine last year.

Gcn did a vid where they weighed the pros bikes, and there were a good few that came in around 7.3 as I recall.

slowoldman

Gcn did a vid where they weighed the pros bikes

This one?

or this?

Some ideas here too:

Anyway, what’s so clever about 6.8kg if you just want a road bike and don’t care what the UCI say?

crazy-legs

Gcn did a vid where they weighed the pros bikes, and there were a good few that came in around 7.3 as I recall.

Thankfully, the pros have realised that weight is not the be all and end all of road bikes and actually aero, stiffness and comfort are all more beneficial.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Thankfully, the pros have realised that weight is not the be all and end all of road bikes and actually aero, stiffness and comfort are all more beneficial.

An interesting way to spin it.

Give it another couple of years development and they’ll have all that “aero, stiffness and comfort” and be “10% lighter than last years model” (neglecting to mention the 20% gain a few years previously).

A bit like disk brakes have gained 10% more power every year since the 90’s, yet I still remember my C2’s having by far the most power and solid lever feel.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I think folk’s expectations of weight are set by some fairly optimistic claims..

2019 Tarmac expert disc here with mechanical ultegra, paid £3250 in sales last year & that weights 7.3kg in 58.

I weighed the very same bike in medium on the shops park scales and without pedals it was around 7.6kg as I recall

I’d also doubt it a little. I have a 58cm S-Works Tarmac SL6 disc, albeit in a fairy heavy acid mint green camouflage paint, with Ultegra 8070 di2, S-Works carbon bb30 Chainset and Roval CLX32 wheels, with Fizik R1 stem/bars and saddle, Dura Ace pedals. it’s 7.17kg on my Ultimate scales.

johnny63

Sounds about right, Blazin

Just weighed my S-works SL6 there now – same paint job as yours – so with Vector pedals and elite bottle cages, it’s coming in at 7.6kg

so change the R8000 chainset to a DA one and could get it down to 7.5kg

so no idea what you’d need to spend on it to get it down to below 7kg

FB-ATB

With all the “lightweight” carbon Domane mentions, god knows how much my 2015 AL2 weighs!
    I’ve fluctuated between upgrading the wheels to save weight or buy a carbon bike.
    Fortunately I’ve lost 13.5kg since Jan instead as that’s the cheaper option!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

so no idea what you’d need to spend on it to get it down to below 7kg

About £4500 on a pair of Lighweights and £1000 stripping all the paint off and clear coating it I reckon.

johnny63

so about £11k / kilo – Bargain 🙂

jako

The main issue is that even 5k bikes do rarely come with great wheel sets. Set of Zipps or Knights are what 2k? Enve’s getting close to 3k.

5k should get you a good frame, probably Ultegra Di2 and some form of carbon wheels.
    But there will be parts making up weight, like alloy bars and stem. Heavy BB. Possibly a 105 cassette etc. And again, the wheels and tyres may be on the heavy side.

If I were you I would start with a good bike fit (hard at the moment) and then get pointed in the right direction on frame sizing (frames measure fairly differently). And then go from there.

The good news is at 5k you will get a very good bike, and one you can probably upgrade a long the way.

TiRed

, just that buying a bike for the longer term is a bit of a different perspective.

Two propels and a Defy Advanced SL. If I were to choose one bike for the future, it would be a new TCR Advanced SL. With manual Dura Ace if I could. As it is, I don’t have to choose. Aero is faster, but the Defy is stiffer. The TCR is the middle porridge. The Defy is my long term bike. That frame won Paris Roubaix. And I don’t want discs.

The 6.8kg is really all about the wheels. Once you’ve DA’d up, carbonned those bars, stem and saddle, you’ll be about 7 kilos. Lighter means tubs and carbon wheels. Tubs are too much of a compromise for me. Oh and if you want light you need titanium speedplay. Because the mechanism is in the cleat so the pedals weigh less. sad.

If I was spending 5k today, it would be a pro-level (Advanced SL or S-works) frame, ultegra Di2 and the best wheels I could manage to budget. You won’t get Dura Ace without a compromise elsewhere. And you won’t get manual DA.

13thfloormonk

Oh and if you want light you need titanium speedplay. Because the mechanism is in the cleat so the pedals weigh less.

Funny you mentioned this, I was idly considering where I could save some weight on my Rose. Turns out the best bang/buck answer is my shoes! My basic Lakes weigh almost 820g/pair so there’s an easy 300g of rotating weight to save.

I don’t care what anyone else says, my lightest bike is my funnest bike, and since everything I aspire to on the road bike involves pointing uphill (laughable considering my weight…) I’ll continue to try and make it lighter.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

If I was spending 5k today, it would be a pro-level (Advanced SL or S-works) frame, ultegra Di2 and the best wheels I could manage to budget. You won’t get Dura Ace without a compromise elsewhere. And you won’t get manual DA.

And you won’t get much in the way of wheels, once you’ve dropped £3400 (S-Works Tarmac) on a frame, £1k on a groupset, and £400 on a bar/stem/tape and pedals.

jako

For 5k you are not going to get a world cup level bike. Simple as.

Just look at the prices.

Frame 2.5 – 3k
    Groupset 1k at least – that is ultegra or force, not DA or Red
    Wheels 2k

And then you still need stem, bars, seatpost, saddle, headset – easily another 1k

What about power meter?

Off the shelves Canyon may get you close (ish) but still not world cup level.

I spend “a little” more a couple of years ago and got a custom Festka frame, complete Sram Red etap disc, Knight wheels, carbon components, Chris King headset and Quark power meter. It is closer to 8 kg I would say, but it is unique and the bike I wanted – and it fits me like a glove.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Why the adversity to disks tired ?

It’s 20grams well spent 🙂

daern
    Free Member

Not really relevant to the OP’s post but as the Domane has been mentioned a couple of times:- I bought a 2018 model SL6 disc 2 years ago and it rolled in at 8.2kg and it’s now jumped to 9.3kg which I don’t get, as aside from increasing the cassette from 32 to 34t and the fancy wee cubby hole in the down tube the spec is pretty much the same. Love the bike btw, does exactly what I want, really comfy over long (for an old decrepit git like me) distances.

I’d love to know why the jump too. Anyone got any inside information? Would be interested to know if the frame itself has put on a few grams, or if it’s just bits. If I had to guess, it’s hidden componentry cost-cutting to save money and maintain pricing levels. You’ll probably find a square-taper bottom-bracket hidden in there somewhere 🙂

jako

Why the adversity to disks tired ?

It’s 20grams well spent 🙂

I agree. I put discs on mind. I also think it will be harder and harder to get good choice of wheels for rim brakes going forward.

daern
    Free Member

With all the “lightweight” carbon Domane mentions, god knows how much my 2015 AL2 weighs!

Hard to know exactly which it is, what with the confusion of bike model years, but this review from 2014 suggests 9.5kg. Today’s AL2 will cost you £600 and weigh just the wrong side of 10kg and, if buying another one, you’ll be spending a fair old chunk more money before you get down below the weight of your current bike.

Ride on! 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

I agree. I put discs on mind. I also think it will be harder and harder to get good choice of wheels for rim brakes going forward.

Agree , a mate of mine works for a UK wheel manufacturer…. And is/was very vocally old school in his views on disks since their inception……

He now has disks as thats where the good wheels at.

daern
    Free Member

Disc brakes a no-brainer here, despite the (modest) weight penalty, for two reasons:

1) braking performance, especially in grim conditions,
    2) zero rim wear, especially in grim conditions.

If you only ever ride your bike on sunny days, or race, then I would agree that the difference is more marginal, but chuck in some ropey weather and especially winter roads, and there’s no comparison. Only downside I’ve had is that the calipers nearly always need tweaking between wheelsets (unless they are identical, of course!), which is a bit of a pain. That said, I often had to tweak pad position between different rim-brake wheels, so it’s no bad thing, but disk caliper positioning is a finer-art and generally once I’ve got it set up, I’ll leave it be even if it means riding deeper rims in crosswinds than I would normally choose!

13thfloormonk

For 5k you are not going to get a world cup level bike. Simple as

I posted a £4k Rose that was 6.2kg with Dura Ace, 50mm carbon wheels, semi-aero frame. So if by ‘world cup’ you mean integrated cables and discs then I suppose you’re right.

but chuck in some ropey weather and especially winter roads, and there’s no comparison

If you wear ear-plugs, or have some sort of miracle set up that still works reasonably quietly on cold wet rotors… I’m never going to stick carbon rims on a winter bike so will stick with basic aluminium rims and rim brakes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Wet carbon still gives me the fear with rim brakes .

I wanted deep carbon rims. = Disk brakes.(which are silent)

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 453 total)

The topic ‘6.8 kg road bike’ is closed to new replies.