Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 453 total)
  • 6.8 kg road bike
  • johnny63

(stealth nudge) – I’ve an S-works disc SL6 in the classifieds at the minute for £4K

It’s their top of the range frameset with their seatpost, headset & ceramic BB, and even with a set of disc wheels at 1420g & a DA build, I think the weight is coming in around 7.5kg

maybe knock 100 or 200g off by changing the chainset

footflaps

I think you’d need to get a bit creative and very lucky with deal-finding to complete your wishlist.

I’ll be looking at pre-ordering 2021 build. Bikes are selling like hot cakes at the moment, unless you’re XS or XXL, there’s not a lot in stock anywhere.

trail_rat
    Free Member

there’s not a lot in stock anywhere

You ain’t kidding. I’ve heard some incredible numbers from mates still in the trade/ex bosses…..for q1/q2 2020.

They can’t get/build bikes fast enough

daern
    Free Member

Also, the top end bikes tend to be the ones that get big reductions at the end of year, though the bargains may have disappeared now. 7-8k a couple of years ago might still have the features required, nearer to budget.

Just wait until next year. I reckon there will be more than a few “regretted coronavirus purchases” coming onto the market 🙂

pdw
    Free Member

Top end is £10,799.00

The only reason £10k bikes exist is to make spending £5k on a bike seem reasonable.

londoncommuter
    Free Member

Bit of an outsider but I wonder if this would meet your requirements?

https://www.merlincycles.com/3t-strada-team-red-etap-aero-road-bike-174645.html

Got the aero frame, electronic gears, deep wheels etc etc. Not sure on the overall weight.

Or you could get the arguably much better value mechanical Force one and save a packet but add weight:

https://www.merlincycles.com/3t-strada-team-aero-road-bike-151095.html

jkomo

My Scott CR1 SL build was 7.5kg with ultegra, Ritchey bars and stem, and superstar wheels.
    £1300, I think.
    I cracked the frame at the chain stay, from either being too fat, bunny hopping too much, or crashing too often.
    Even though 7.5 isn’t featherweight, it felt incredibly light, I could straight arm lift it by the seat post.
    I replaced with Vitus Di2 disc at 8.5kg or more. Feels like a tank. Love it though.

chakaping
    Free Member

FWIW, despite my new bike being a touch over 8kg with pedals, I got a number of PRs on my first couple of rides – on roads which I ride loads.

I put this down to the stiffer frame (huge box-section BB) and perhaps the rims being a smidge deeper and tyres tubeless.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I did 210km on my propel yesterday .

Was still getting PRs on it after 160kms.

Ride segments previously done on my ultegra/Mavic ksyrium giant OCR and/or my Kona touring bike.

Modern bikes are great.

ac282
    samuelr
    Free Member

Because roadies have deeper pockets than mtbers

kynasf
    Free Member

You can save 140g by using tubulito over standard inner tubes. Cheapest upgrade per £ I think?

samuelr
    Free Member

OP.
    The general census is that aero trumps weight unless you only climb big mountain passes.

footflaps

How can a road bike be worth 10k when this is 6.8k?

There’s more money in road cycling, so the market adapts to take advantage of it!

Bit like Rolex watches, whose sole purpose it to be expensive, telling the time is optional.

Garry_Lager

My canyon ultimate sl (Not the top of the the range version of the frame) weighed 7.2 kg including pedals, and cost me 2k in 2015. It was of course rim brakes.

My giant tcr advanced pro 0 with disks, deep carbon wheels, di2 etc costs over twice that and weighs closer to 8kg. Very few disk braked bikes come in at 6.8 kg, regardless of price. Remember pro bikes use tubs. I reckon you could count on 1 hand the number of disk braked bikes from the top manufacturers that come under 6.8kg once you have fitted pedals.

Tbh loads of pros bikes weigh over 7kg, and thats with tubs and top of the range kit.

Did you consider the propel @tpbiker?
    Thinking of buying a pure road bike for the first time in my life and would be inclined to go for an aero frame. If you’re spending footflaps money, though, it has to be a long term purchase. Just wonder if the look of stuff like the propel or a systemsix wears off after a while and would seem very dated, whereas something like a tcr is more classic and will always look great.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You can save 140g by using tubulito over standard inner tubes. Cheapest upgrade per £ I think?

Tubes. How quaint.

footflaps

OP.
    The general census is that aero trumps weight unless you only climb big mountain passes.

I was sort of hoping you could have both. Living in Cambridge, aero would be the better choice, but I just quite fancy a light bike for some of the huge (over 50m) hills we have around here 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

Garry I agree

I bought a propel.

It has a number of components. That are absolutely specific to the frame.

Namely the seatpost the stem the fork and the handlebars…..if you don’t like the reach or drop your **** ….hell even the angle of the drop is fixed as it’s wing profile clamp…..

But I like it 🙂

My mates tcr advance was a bargain though the blue and yellow one. 1600 quid with ultegra. I think it climbs better but on the flat or when sprinting the propel blitzs it. It’s just stiffer.

chakaping
    Free Member

Modern road “race” bikes seem to be going more aero, taking bigger tyres and (probably as a result) getting more comfy.

Are “aero” and “endurance” bikes becoming more nichey as a result?

Cambs is basically like my old stomping grounds of Herts, but even less hilly – so I’m gonna go out on a limb and say you probably don’t require a 6.8kg bike OP.

Garry_Lager

Garry I agree

I bought a propel.

It has a number of components. That are absolutely specific to the frame.

Namely the seatpost the stem the fork and the handlebars…..if you don’t like the reach or drop your **** ….hell even the angle of the drop is fixed as it’s wing profile clamp…..

But I like it 🙂

My mates tcr advance was a bargain though the blue and yellow one. 1600 quid with ultegra. I think it climbs better but on the flat or when sprinting the propel blitzs it. It’s just stiffer.

Sounds like one for a test ride or three. I think the propel looks awesome, tbh, just that buying a bike for the longer term is a bit of a different perspective.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My.last road bike was 15 years old .

When I look back at the parts I changed I changed the wheels and the groupset(3 times as they wore out)

The rest was stock.

I guess the biggest issue is if I crash in 10 years time a wing profile bar might be a tougher find than a round 31.8

tpbiker
    Free Member

Did you consider the propel

Yep I looked at the propel. A few reasons I didn’t go for it over the tcr.

1, the equivalent model had all these proprietary bits like stems that I couldn’t be bothered with
    2, it apparently isn’t as comfy, and as I don’t race outright speed wasn’t that Important
    3, it was heavier
    4, i don’t really like the look of it.

Now what I subsequently found out is that what I should really have bought is a defy…I got a fairly low speced one as a winter bike and it’s far more comfy than the tcr, and with decent wheels nearly as fast. In fact I’m now using it almost exclusively and the 1 year old tcr is gathering dust in a spare room.

As for bike weight, as long as the wheels are decent, an 8kg bike will be just as fast up a hill as a 7kg bike..

chakaping
    Free Member

what I should really have bought is a defy

Have you seen the stem on the new one though?

*winces*

mos

2019 Tarmac expert disc here with mechanical ultegra, paid £3250 in sales last year & that weights 7.3kg in 58.
    This years model with di2 is £5250 probably same weight give or take 50g.
    If you want to pay £5k for a 6.8kg bike then you’re looking at the online brands like rose as mentioned above.

kerley
    Free Member

I can be guilty of obsessing over bike weight but it really does make very little difference and even scientifically on mountainous climbs a KG doesn’t make that much difference.
    I changed frame sets a few months back from a alloy frame with full carbon fork to a steel frame and steel fork. I added 1.2KG with all the other parts remaining the same (total weight up from 6.6 to 7.8).
    It is clearly noticeable when I pick it up as humans can perceive very minor changes in weight but when riding that 1KG makes no perceivable difference.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Was wondering if those feeling the need for aero bikes can sit in the drops for a fair bit? Marginal gains an all that…

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Top end is £10,799.00
    Cheapest is £1,699.00

Take the mean and you get £6249

So I was actually a bit low at £5k….

OMG

words fail me

basic arithmetic fail

footflaps

Was wondering if those feeling the need for aero bikes can sit in the drops for a fair bit? Marginal gains an all that…

I thought hands on the hoods was more aerodynamic than drops; pretty much spend all my time on the hoods.

Superficial
    Free Member

To be pedantic thats the mean as you have only used the lowest and highest in the range. To get the true mean you’d need to look at all the models in the range, and I can guarantee if you did the mean would be far far less than 5k!

Well if we’re going to be pedantic… The range (to use the mathematical definition of the word) of bike costs is £1699 to £10,799. So ‘mid-range’ could plausibly be in the middle of that range?

Informally, £5k for a bike is definitely not ‘mid-range’ in any common parlance. Pull yourself together footflaps.

pdw
    Free Member

I thought hands on the hoods was more aerodynamic than drops

Only if you hold your forearms horizontal so that you’re as low or lower than you would be on the drops.

TiRed

However, I get the impression this isn’t the case

Welcome to disc brakes.

Mechanical Dura Ace, caliper brakes, nice frame (Giant TCR Advanced SL), decent wheels, will get you there easily. My Defy SL with the above and deep section carbon rims is 7.2. The last savings are in the wheels and maybe a lighter carbon saddle.

Honestly the difference is half a water bottle. You won’t notice the weight, but you will notice a stiff bike (hello CR1) and poor geometry.

And 5k would be mid-range – pro-spec frame and Dura Ace with some cost cutting in the wheels. But it is hard to find manual Dura Ace and non-disk on a pro frame now.

footflaps

To be pedantic thats the mean as you have only used the lowest and highest in the range. To get the true mean you’d need to look at all the models in the range, and I can guarantee if you did the mean would be far far less than 5k!

£5034.71

https://www.tredz.co.uk/scott-road-bikes

14 models, Tredz prices are:

£1,699.00
    £1,899.00
    £2,299.00
    £4,399.00
    £3,199.00
    £4,399.00
    £3,199.00
    £4,999.00
    £6,699.00
    £6,299.00
    £8,999.00
    £8,099.00
    £10,799.00
    £3,499.00

Sum is £70,486.00
    /14 = £5,034.71

TiRed

Should take the median 😉

w00dster

Aero bike rider here, about 7.1kgs. Rim brake.
    Yes I can ride in the drops for as long as I like. My preference is the drops with a bent arm, easy position to maintain. Drops is fine for sprints or hard efforts, but for a long effort happy with the bent arm.
    My previous bike Was a Trek Emonda SLR with 1350gram wheels. Felt a great bike to climb on. Total weight was about 6.2kgs (size 52 in a H1 fit).
    I live near Cambridgeshire, I much prefer the aero bike. It does feel faster for most rides. I rode in the Chilterns at the weekend, climbed was fine (was me holding the bike back).
    If i was buying a single bike for all riding it would need to take 30 or 32mm tyres and be aero. Weight wouldn’t matter a massive amount, as long as it wasn’t above 8.5kgs.

crazy-legs

As TiRed says, I’d be more concerned about stiffness and position than weight. A few extra grams going into efficiency or producing a vibration-damping frame is more important overall than all-out lightweight.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

£5034.71

https://www.tredz.co.uk/scott-road-bikes

14 models, Tredz prices are:

£1,699.00
    £1,899.00
    £2,299.00
    £4,399.00
    £3,199.00
    £4,399.00
    £3,199.00
    £4,999.00
    £6,699.00
    £6,299.00
    £8,999.00
    £8,099.00
    £10,799.00
    £3,499.00

Sum is £70,486.00
    /14 = £5,034.71

erm no.
    You need to multiply each price by the number of those bikes sold; and then divide the total by the total number of bikes sold.

tpbiker
    Free Member

14 models, Tredz prices are

Yep, but that’s not the entire range. In fact it entirely misses out the speedster series which is their entry level model. Judging by This, there are in fact around 30 Scott road bikes. And given I’m bored I just calculated the ‘average’ price when you look at all bikes across their entire road range, is actually less than 3k. Which I think is much closer to what most folks would consider ‘mid range’..

tpbiker
    Free Member

You need to multiply each price by the number of those bikes sold

Im not sure i agree with this! That will screw it far more towards the lower end of the price range and tells us the average price of what folks spend on a bike, not what the average bike costs to buy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Do trek really not have any road bikes <£1699 anymore?

daern
    Free Member

Do trek really not have any road bikes <£1699 anymore?

Sure, e.g. Domane AL2

What worries me a bit more is the general portliness of the range. I’m no weight-weenie, but I’d expect that a Domane SL6 costing £3,200 would weigh less than 9.3kg! That’s only 0.7kg less than the £600 AL2 listed above!

Weight isn’t everything, even on a road bike, but it surely is *something*…?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 453 total)

The topic ‘6.8 kg road bike’ is closed to new replies.