Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 453 total)
  • 6.8 kg road bike
  • footflaps

Trek has a nifty table for their new Emonda, so you can see how much you have to spend to get to 6.8 kg…..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jd5WbE]Trek Emonda Weights and Prices[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/trek-releases-aero-emonda-its-fastest-climbing-bike-ever-274329

chakaping
    Free Member

Bet that’s without pedals too.

13thfloormonk

Funnily enough, the first time I noticed a journalist trying out the new ‘weight isn’t important any more’ line was when reviewing a 10kg, £2,200 Trek. At least the stated weights of the new ones are bit lighter…

tomhoward

Emondas have been on the pies since they were released then! Top model (SLR 10) was 4.6kg, for about £11k in 2014…

FB-ATB

I had been looking at an SL6 disc pre lockdown. 2020 model was £2400, now £2100 (if there are any in stock). The 2021 model is £2900 and a smidge heavier.

I can’t fathom why the SL5 is only 50g lighter than the AL5.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Emondas have been on the pies since they were released then! Top model (SLR 10) was 4.6kg, for about £11k in 2014…

4.6 kg? I call BS. Top framesets generally 1.2 or 1.3 kilos, lightest wheels 1.2 kilos ish, group set at least 1 or 2 kilos, then finishing kit and pedals.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Just regards the whole obsession with lightweight versus aero, or the quest to get both in some cases – the BMC Timemachine would be my bike of choice, and the answer to question a while back to if I had 5k to spend on a new road bike (plus another two more) .

BMC list weights on their website which is interesting. The base model Timemachine at 7k weighs about 9kg. The top end model, if you have about 11k, weighs 7.8 kg. But I know I’d rather carry that extra kg and ride a frame and bike with all that innovation, instead of just a pure weight weeny machine. But that’s just my view. Edit; I know these are well over 5k.

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/timemachine-01-road-one-302033.html

w00dster

It was definitely 4.6kg’s, my LBS (a large Trek Dealer) had it on demo, we weighed. It was being sold a few years ago at a fair bit cheaper than the £11k, closer to £5k if I remember correctly, obviously thats second hand as it had been sent around the country to other Trek stores and used in various photo shoots.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

It looks like it would be good for that 100km uphill race in Taiwan but I can’t think what else really 😝😏🙈.

footflaps

and it finally arrived…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jG5ZVm]Orbea Orca[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jG9wx5]Orbea Orca[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

lunge

Getting rid of those spacers under the stem will save you the 0.24kg required!

footflaps

Getting rid of those spacers under the stem will save you the 0.24kg required!

Already done, although not cut the steerer yet. Bit of a PITA as I now need to shorten the front brake hose as there’s 2″ poking out the top end after lowering the stem!

I also took off the bonkers light SLR Carbino saddle (110g) and put on something a bit more sensible (300g).

tpbiker
    Free Member

Is that 7.16 with pedals? If so that’s damn light for a disk roadie.

boblo
    Free Member

That’s nice Ben. From Epic? Might get one of those… 👍

akira

Yeah took out some spacers from the wife’s Liv aero bike. Then had to shorten pretty much all the cables and rebleed the brakes. She has etap now which was bit easier to fit.

beej

Prompted by this I weighed my Focus Izalco Max – with added eTap, Quarq power meter, pedals, cages, pump mount and garmin mount.

Bike

Weight

Which I’m quite happy with.

boblo
    Free Member

You should be. That’s farkin light but not aero disc so should be 👍

footflaps

Is that 7.16 with pedals? If so that’s damn light for a disk roadie.

Without.

From Epic?

From John Atkins Cycles in Leamington Spa.

chakaping
    Free Member

Still very light.

How does it ride then?

tpbiker
    Free Member

Without.

Never quite understood why folks post weights of a bike without the pedals, you may as well remove the rear wheel and weigh it! Thats not a pop at you footflaps, so many folks do it.

Still under 7.5kg with pedals is bloody good for what looks like a fairly aero disk bike. Definitely lighter than my fairly high spec TCR and I’d say it looks better as well. What is it exactly and may I ask how much it was?

13thfloormonk

Never quite understood why folks post weights of a bike without the pedals

Probably because the typical manufacturer’s weights getting quoted elsewhere are all without pedals also, so most people’s ‘point of reference’ is probably without pedals also.

Still fairly daft, by the same logic (contact points, rider preference) you might as well weigh without saddle also.

footflaps

Still very light.

How does it ride then?

Not ridden it yet, been fettling with gears and set up. Tyres / tubes / bottle cages etc should arrive today – which are the same as my other bikes (GP5000s + latex tubes) which will mean a more fair comparison.

What is it exactly and may I ask how much it was?

Orbea Orca https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles/road/orca/cat/orca-m21eltd
    £5399

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

When I see those quoted weights of the Edmonda it’s surprising how much weight discs are still adding to road bikes.
    I would have thought system integration , Disc mounts, disc specific rims would have made the weight penalty fairly negligible now.
    For comparison my rim braked 2016 Supersix Evo with Ultegra and Ksyriums is 7.3kg without any Gucci parts and owes me no more than £2k.
    To get to that level now it seems you need to spend £5k ?

footflaps

To get to that level now it seems you need to spend £5k ?

Not really, the top end frames from the big brands all come with a hefty price premium eg my Orca frame on its own is £2700 and it didn’t cost any more to make than a Planet-x open mould carbon frame. It’s probably a bit better, but you’re really paying for the look / brand. Eg friend has just bought a £4k Colnalgo C64 frame and built it up into a £10k road bike – lools absolutely gorgeous, but it’s not £5k better than my Orca nor £7k better than a Planet X generic etc.

kerley
    Free Member

When I see those quoted weights of the Edmonda it’s surprising how much weight discs are still adding to road bikes.
    I would have thought system integration , Disc mounts, disc specific rims would have made the weight penalty fairly negligible now.

It may never be equal. for example the difference in weight between an Ultegra disc vs rim caliper is 20grams. But with discs you need a Disc (100g each), heavier hubs that can run a disc (?g), heavier built forks (?g), maybe heavier built/spoked wheels.

13thfloormonk

Also there is still a price premium attached to discs, so not only are you paying more for (negligibly, admittedly) heavier components, but that additional cost is eating into the available budget for nice kit elsewhere, hence heavier kit specced elsewhere too!

Same argument for a lot of steel bikes I think, you’re paying more for the steel frame, which is heavier, and now have less available budget for components elsewhere so end up with a heavier frame AND heavier parts.

Edit: and finally, since disc brakes will never win a weight argument, manufacturers are now pushing aero more, and aero is heavier, so you’re more likely to see a heavier aero frameset, with heavier brakes and cheaper, heavier components. Triple whammy! 😉

footflaps

Still very light.

How does it ride then?

Just taken it for a quick 50k spin.

It’s stiff. Much stiffer than my CR1, can’t tell if its the frame or the wheels, but accelerates quicker and more road vibration – although possibly I can reduce that with 5-10 psi lower pressure in the tyres. Not at all scientific but just PBed on my local 50k loop without really trying, just making an effort rather than beasting myself. Wheels are only 40mm deep compared with my 404s which are 58mm.

chakaping
    Free Member

Much stiffer than my CR1, can’t tell if its the frame or the wheels, but accelerates quicker and more road vibration

I went from a CR1 SL to a Boardman with a hi-mod frame this year. The new bike was described in reviews as being on the firm side (but very well priced).

Yes it was rattly with the 28c tyres at my normal 90psi-ish, but once I dropped them to 70-ish it was waaaay more comfy – and I’m sold on road tubeless after absent-mindedly hitting a square-edged pothole at speed, feeling the rims hit but didn’t get a flat either end.

It’s just over 1kg heavier, but faster everywhere so far.

boblo
    Free Member

I’ve a CR1 Pro and a CR1 SL. The pro is supposed to be the old Addict from yonks ago. The story was they’d stopped making the Addict and remarketed it as the Pro. It’s a firm but comfy ride but not jiggly and I don’t get sore on longer rides. I’ve also been riding the SL a lot recently including a couple of centuries. It’s noticeably stiffer and harsher than the Pro. On the SL, I also get a stiff lower back on very long rides. One has Conti GP4000’s the other Schwalbe One’s – both 90psi front/95psi rear so very similar.

The SL weighs 7.2kg inc pedals/cages/mount, the Pro ~7.5kg. They’re chalk and cheese but both lovely to ride 👍

footflaps

Yes it was rattly with the 28c tyres at my normal 90psi-ish, but once I dropped them to 70-ish it was waaaay more comfy

I started at 60 psi front, 70 rear…

I’ve a CR1 Pro and a CR1 SL. The pro is supposed to be the old Addict from yonks ago

My CR1 Pro pre-dates the Addict it was Scotts top road race frame when I bought it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

It’s just over 1kg heavier, but faster everywhere so far.

But the weight !!!!!!! *

* I’m with you….weight is but a number and most of us posting here including those concerned about the bikes weight would likely see bigger gains from one less pie than the difference in weight between disks and calipers.

Glad the new bikes working out FF.

Also while it may look like a planet X open mould frame….you’d like to think the QC was better ….you might find the headtube on your orbea is perpendicular to the ground /rear axle…….

13thfloormonk

* I’m with you….weight is but a number and most of us posting here including those concerned about the bikes weight would likely see bigger gains from one less pie than the difference in weight between disks and calipers.

But is it at all conceivable that you could eat one less pie AND buy a lighter bike? Win-win! 😀

Also, as you eat fewer pies and get lighter, the bike starts to become a greater proportion of the overall ‘system’ weight, so the fewer pies you eat, the MORE you need a lighter bike.

Anyway, moving away from the theoretical and back to the real world. My ‘light’ bike is significantly more fun to ride than my ‘heavy’ bike. Difference in weight is 1.5kg. Perhaps it’s psychological, but not only do I enjoy riding it more, I’m faster on it, and that’s despite having cheaper heavier tyres on the light bike so that I can pop it on the rollers on wet days.

Until I’m competing and trying to shave seconds off my time I’ll never be convinced of the merits of heavier bikes 😉

(oh and p.s. @trail_rat, thanks for helping me sell that saddle, it was much too heavy, I’ve found one 30g lighter 😉 )

footflaps

it was much too heavy, I’ve found one 30g lighter

On the subject of light saddle, my Orca came with a 110g SLR saddle! Will stick it on Ebay as way too unpadded for my bony arse…..

https://www.selleitalia.com/en/saddles/slr-boost-kit-carbonio-superflow/

winston
    Free Member

Ha talking of budget. I bought a Raleigh Criterium Elite during lockdown from the selling pages mainly to use on my turbo..

Quoted weight was 8.8kg with wired tires, a lead seatpost and a sofa of a saddle.

Cost £200.

Swapped out tyres for Ones, put in a carbon post, lighter but still cheap saddle and campag potenzza brakes rather then the heavy(and flexy) RSP ones, lighter QR skewers, lighter seat collar and a prime lightweight stem.

(and cleaned off about 3kg of grime and grease!)

Total weight now 7.9kg according to proper scales

Total cost £420.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I know the orbea isn’t cheap, but I can’t believe it comes with a 250 quid saddle! Wouldn’t get that with a pinerello I’d bet.

footflaps

I know the orbea isn’t cheap, but I can’t believe it comes with a 250 quid saddle! Wouldn’t get that with a pinerello I’d bet.

I was very surprised, I guess it cost them a lot less, maybe Selle Italia promoting it by offering it cheap to premium bikes etc.

13thfloormonk

Selle Italia are weird though, aftermarket prices are all over the shop too, wouldn’t be surprised if they were ‘dumping’ a load of them somehow.

Joe

Footflaps – it looks really nice. You are tempting me.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Quick question. I’m a luddite mountain biker so don’t have a clue about road bikes….. they all seem crazy light to me after riding a 32lb mountain bike. Does an extra kilo or two really make a lot of difference on the road or does riding an ultra light bike feel a bit twitchy? Won’t a bike that weighs a kilo more be a bit quicker down hills? Genuine question because I really can’t imagine even noticing a kilo on a bike when they feel that light.

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 453 total)

The topic ‘6.8 kg road bike’ is closed to new replies.