5kw wood burning stove

• This topic has 28 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by  eskay.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 5kw wood burning stove
  • robbie

I am getting a stove fitted shortly and am bowled over by the choice. i dont want to spend more than £900 on one and my fitter has given me a few options
    so ive narrowed it down to an aga ellesmere at £900 10 year warranty and a hampton 5 at £530 7 year warranty.
    anyone got one of these or recomend something similar. looking for one with a decent amount
    of glass in it.
    Cheers

Premier Icon RicB
    Subscriber

We’ve just installed a Woodtec 5, which is great. Huge glass window and easy to control (now I’ve got the hang of it!)

I’ve got a Woodward Fireview Slender, which is a 6kw stove but shortened front-to-back to make it 5kw but still ‘big’ from the front on aspect, if you see what I mean? It works well for us as it fits in the recess of the old fireplace which was a factor when it was installed as we had a toddler then. It was about £900 but that was a few years ago.

Premier Icon granny_ring
    Subscriber

In true STW fashion in recommending what you’ve got…
    Charnwood Coutry 4 is a good adjustable stove.

disco_stu

Have a look at the Burley stoves? We have the Debdale which is the 4Kw version of the one linked below, a fair amount of glass on display on them.

Hollywell 9105

B.A.Nana

I’ve got a westfire 35 which is multifuel, given the choice again I would get a pure wood burner for the bigger firebox space, probably a Parkray Aspect 5 (or Aspect 4).

That Hampton 5 looks nice

neilnevill

I’d look at the burley is I were buying again. Very efficient.

I tend to think once at about £600 it’s a reasonably built stove, cheaper and some are not so good. It’s then diminishing returns so I wouldn’t pay loads more but might go as far as the burley. Looks are a big driver, nothing wrong with that.

Premier Icon bedmaker
    Subscriber

Parkray aspect 4 is my current favourite. Tremendous bit of kit.
    Their names are a bit odd. The Aspect 4 is what you get if you need a 5kw stove.
    The Aspect 5 is more like 7kw.

Make sure you remove the wee bolts underneath for the Defra thingy. It’ll burn way too fast otherwise.

Anything Aga would be way down the list of recommendation.
    Charnwood C4 also good, as is Burley.

Charnwood Coutry 4 is a good adjustable stove.

Had one for 8 years now, love it.

sharkbait

You could also look on eBay for a used example.
    I’ve bought three Clearview stoves and stripped, cleaned, resprayed and re-sealed them – it’s pretty damn easy.
    I would stay away from used cast stoves though as they can crack and then it’s basically game over.
    A welded steel stove should be fairly indestructible though.
    That said, used stoves seem to go for a high price, especially at this time of the year.

Premier Icon Tiger6791
    Subscriber

We have 3 so here’s a mini review of the ones we have.

Charnwood c5
    Good, didn’t quite get on with it at 1st but now like it. Defra approved, not much control and you can’t keep it in overnight, no ash pan so emptying is a bit of a pain. Wooden handle is a nice touch. Bit of a narrow letter box when loading logs in due to a high grate front. No grate so not so lighting it takes a bit of technique.

Aga Ellesmere 5
    Good stove, belts heat out and looks nice with great big glass. Build quality is a bit iffy. Air flow lever fell off. Handle gets hot so you need gloves to handle/load when lit, control isn’t straight forward with a single level in/out left/right sillyness.

Clearview Pioneer 400
    Bomb proof! Easy to light, easy to clean, super easy to control and the best stove we have. You can keep it in all night and it’s very very good. Only criticism is as per Aga needs gloves as handle gets hot, looks a bit traditional.

ElShalimo

We’ve got a Westfire 17. Had it for about a year now and it’s great.

Lovely large viewing window and great heat.

We got it from Stoves Are Us for £899 on a special offer

twinw4ll

Avoid Aga, if you did have to make a warranty claim you could wait a lifetime to get it actioned, shocking after sales.
    I used to be in the trade, I have a Town and Country Saltburn, a bit over your top budget though.
    Woodwarm are also a great product.

ac505

https://www.drufire.com/en-gb/product-range/dik-geurts/ivar/ivar-5-low-ea

Dik Geurts Ivan 5 here. Possibly a little above budget, we picked our up as an ex shop demo, out the box only and never used.

twinw4ll

I’ve used most of the stoves suggested, Westfire internal parts are expensive, Clear view overrated imo, send a lot of heat up the chimney.
    Dik Guerts Ivar 5 is a good stove.
    Parkray stoves are very good value for money.

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

DG Ivar here too. only 2 year warranty, but I don’t know what’s going to happen in year 3-7 that hasn’t happened by year 2.

We liked the looks, big window. Contemporary but not ultra-modern, with a big window. Very responsive to the air control. Piece of piss to light: build a stack, put a match to it, close the door with the air all the way open and turn it down to half way 5-10 mins later when the fan starts.

We have a Dean Forge multifuel, the 5kw shallow one.

It came with the house, so can’t speak for cost.

Works really well. Wide firebox, lots of glass, which stays lovely and clear when burning wood. With the ash pan door open the draft is ridiculous and will get the thing proper roaring within a couple of minutes.

We mainly burn smokeless or anthracite, its our main heating during this time of year and is on a constant low heat, which we couldn’t do with wood. I did the standard dodge and stacked up firebricks on either side of the grid to make a tall thin firebox area – works better for coal that way.

Premier Icon Sodajim
    Subscriber

We have an Invicta Sedan 5 which in the end we felt had the look of the really expensive stoves we inevitably liked and a nice big glass door and fire box for the size. Personal taste I know but it seems to look pretty timeless to us.

Its a full cast iron stove though, fire bricks and all I believe so takes a bit longer to warm up.

https://www.gr8fires.co.uk/invicta-sedan-s-5kw-stove-anthracite

johndoh

Parkray aspect 4 is my current favourite. Tremendous bit of kit.

I agree. We had a Morso at our old place which we thought was brilliant until we installed the Aspect at our new place. It lights first time every time, even with dodgy damp wood and little care, it’s very easy to regulate and burns warm without using much fuel.

But one thing about 5kw stoves – don’t fixate on that as there can be HUGE differences in size and performance due to the way they are rated – the test is very simple and manufacturers do all they can to ensure they get rated at 5kw as then they can sell them without the need for additional room ventilation to meet regs. Basically, get good advice for your particular installation. If you are in North Yorks area I can recommend a very good supplier/fitter.

schrickvr6

We’ve got a DG Ivar 5 which is superb, also have an ACR Rowandale which is comparatively garbage.

ElShalimo

Beware if your house is newer than 2008/9 then you’ll need a vent/airbrick anyway. A good local installer will walk you through all the potential issues.

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

Wood Burning Stove in 2019 – are you mad?

robbie

Thanks for all the suggestions guys

trail_rat

Wood Burning Stove in 2019 – are you mad?

That’s quite the statement ots without knowing anything about the current arrangements.

Not all stoves are fashion statements

robbie

free wood from work is my main reason for going for one

Premier Icon siwhite
    Subscriber

Thanks to whoever suggested the Aldi stove fans – I bought two yesterday, and they work much better than our Ecofan.

rmgdsc76

Morso Badger, absolutely love the stove.

neilnevill

I have heard the Aldi fans pack up fairly quickly, but it’ll just be the teg, which can be replaced.

Premier Icon eskay
    Subscriber

Had a burley Debdale installed about 3 weeks ago, really pumps the heat out and house is much warmer than when we had the open fire (and chimney).

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.