Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • 534GB 886MB downloaded in the past 46 hours
  • wwaswas

by our Virgin Media home hub and about 2Gb uploaded.

seems rather excessive.

Should I be giving any of the family a Paddington stare until they ‘fess up?

Or is that expected with four people ‘doing stuff’ on the internet including watching Netflix etc?

I would point the finger at my son and his x-box use but not sure how to isolate his activity.

Jamie
    Free Member

That’s a lot of grumble.

dabble
    Free Member

that’s a lot of blue…

edit, too slow by 23 seconds!

tomhoward

I would point the finger at my son and his x-box use but not sure how to isolate his activity.

Yeah, x-box

[anti offence caveat]If your son is ridiculously under age for that sort of thing, I apologise.[/anti offence caveat]

edit: good to see we are all of the same mindset…. 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lovely use of the word ‘grumble’ there, Jamie. I was going to put something about a one-handed-web-bongo-fest, but yours was so much more succinct and pithy.

Jamie
    Free Member

For the record, 100mb line could pull that off down in about 12hrs….although that is assuming maxing out continuously, which is doubtful.

wwaswas

It’s now saying 570Gb.

Maybe it’s looking at ethernet and wi-fi traffic over the home network rather than just up Mr Bransons conduit?

somouk
    Free Member

That is a huge amount in 24 hours, I don’t hit that much even working from home and streaming music/video all day.

Could be internal network chatter but unless you’ve been moving big files around still a fair amount of data.

2 Gb up sounds reasonable though.

I did see someone download similar levels and turns out someone on their network was using youtube to stream a constant video playlist. As youtube determines your line speed and sends a suitable quality they had HD everything coming down.

Either that or there is an error in the way they convert from bits to human readable format.

Milkie
    Free Member

36Gb in 5 minutes!? 😯

iPlayer is about 1gb an hour
    Netflix is about 3gb an hour
    YouTube is about 4gb an hour

tomhoward

That is a huge amount in 24 hours, I don’t hit that much even working from home and streaming music/video all day.

Right. What about in almost double that time? And with 4x more people?

wwaswas

It does appear that LAN and WAN traffic is included.

Just topped 580Gb.

Something’s moving *a lot* of data around the LAN.

somouk
    Free Member

Right. What about in almost double that time? And with 4x more people?

Still wouldn’t be near that.

DrP

Lift up the ‘internet cables’ going into each room – if one is heavier than the other, there’s your culprit.
    Or something like that.

DrP

mogrim

Something’s moving *a lot* of data around the LAN.

Time to start unplugging things and see what happens!

wwaswas

What tool to see which device is doing what?

It’s half term and there’s currently 12 devices registered (although 3 or 4 of those are the LAN and WIFI access points).

[edit] Lift up the ‘internet cables’ going into each room – if one is heavier than the other, there’s your culprit.

I’m worried about just unplugging stuff in case it spills and makes a mess on the carpet.

verses

Unplug internet connection from router and see if numbers still go up? That would at least let you know whether it stops if it can’t find its destination (if the destination is WAN rather than LAN based)…

Jamie
    Free Member

Remove hard wired connections would be my first port, hoho, of call.

wwaswas

going to give wireshark a go and see what it says.

DrP

I’m worried about just unplugging stuff in case it spills and makes a mess on the carpet.

As long as you have a rag, and hold the ‘open’ end of the cable upwards, the gigabyte pressures shouldn’t leak too much content on the floor…

DrP

verses

What’s the model of the router, it may have some internal diagnostics to show which host is most active?

samuri
    Free Member

I still think that’s just way too much, even including the internal LAN. I’d be questioning the reporting myself.

wwaswas

*nods wisely*

We used to have hard drives with removable platters in them ‘back in the day’. Like this;

They managed to convince a new bloke that all the data would fall off if he didn’t keep them exactly level when moving them between the drives and the storage cupboard.

brassneck

4K grumble?

brassneck

We used to have hard drives with removable platters in them ‘back in the day’. Like this;

I saw one of them catch fire once. The good old days!

kevin1911

A disgruntled forumite lauching a DDOS attack on you maybe? 🙂

kevin1911

Wireshark will only be useful if you can deploy it on every device on your network, as the router is likely to switch traffic on the LAN rather than repeat it to every port….

sharkbait
    Free Member

Well that’s about 390 films (maybe more depending upon the compression/length), so call it 100 films each. That would take over 150 hours to watch (per person).

So something’s ‘wrong’ 😐

wwaswas

just ran a short capture on my desktop;

I’m sure if I understood it enough I’d be worried…

[edit] it’s mostly traffic between my pc and the NAS – I presume the Seagate backup software is doing it’s thing?

kevin1911

Hmm, that’s quite a lot of traffic. And huge packet sizes too – standard MTU on Ethernet is 1500bytes, so those are jumbo!

EDIT – yep, backup traffic would account for the big packet sizes

Doesn’t explain the data coming down from the web though…

Can you get onto the router admin page and check you recognise all the devices connected?

footflaps

WTF is causing packet sizes that large?

wwaswas

I’ve googled and it seems the ‘superhub’ statistics either include LAN traffic as well as WAN or are so inaccurate as to be laughable depending on who you read.

Jamie
    Free Member

The only thing that can explain those packet sizes are tribbles or aliens….

footflaps

I’ve never come across packet sizes that large. Most specs we get for customer’s networks ask for HW to support 1600 or maybe 1700, but no where near 5000….

DrP

I’ve never come across packet sizes that large

oi oi…

DrP

wwaswas

I’ve never come across packet sizes that large

They’ve made a right mess on the carpet too, I expect they’ll leave a stain.

woody2000

Jumbo frames, my NAS supports it & I have it enabled

CountZero

[edit] Lift up the ‘internet cables’ going into each room – if one is heavier than the other, there’s your culprit.

As long as you have a rag, and hold the ‘open’ end of the cable upwards, the gigabyte pressures shouldn’t leak too much content on the floor…
    😆

Russell96

By GB does it mean Gigabits or Gigabytes? Normal for networking is for it to mean bits

So for 534Gigabits you might as well say is 53Gigabytes which over nearly two days with some devices downloading/streaming is likely.

woody2000

Normal to mean bits when referring to speed, but not when talking about amounts of data transferred, that’s bytes

dannybgoode

> 500gig in that length of time is industrial scale pirating.

Have you changed the wireless password on the router from its default.

If not that would be my first port of call as someone may have hacked in to your wireless and is merrily downloading all sorts.

If you have I would still change it as a precaution and set the passwords on each computer / device one by one and see when usage spikes.

You then have your culprit!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘534GB 886MB downloaded in the past 46 hours’ is closed to new replies.