Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 51mm offset Pikes
  • davosaurusrex

I’ve been wanting a set of 29er 140mm Pikes for my Sultan for a while and after a quick bounce on a set today I’m convinced, plush! I was all set for a standard 46mm offset pair from CRC who have them at a good price but all the talk in the latest issue about 51mm offset forks on 29ers has got me thinking that would be the way to go, dropped an email to Turner who recommend them. Problem is that nowhere in the UK lists them, not on Fishers website, dropped them an email but waiting for a reply.
    So does anyone on here have experience of standard offset forks compared to increased offset? Make that much real world difference? Could get a set of 150 51s from Germany but the Sultan is only recommended for a 140 max fork. Wiggle have dual position 51s in stock but I don’t want white and they’re more than I want to spend. First world problems eh? Tsk. Anyhoo, any thoughts welcome

Woodentop
    Free Member

Got a non G2 Fox Float on my 2013 Trek Stache and it rides absolutely fine. I’m sure ‘on paper’ it won’t ride as well as a G2 version, but do you notice it in the real world … i’d be surprised if many can, maybe if you had two indentical bikes with the same model fork, one G2 and the other non G2 and rode them back to back on the same trail.

davosaurusrex

Cheers Woodentop, I have no doubt you’re right but can’t help wondering if I should hold out for 51mm/G2 Pikes given the choice

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Import from the States?

davosaurusrex

Bump for any opinions from the daytime crowd

davosaurusrex

And another bump. Does anyone know if 51mm offset 140mm 29er Pikes even exist? No reply from Fisher, might ask my LBS to enquire

simonbowns
    Free Member

Yep-listed with Fishers, due in around mid Nov. Email me at the shop if you’d like to sort a preorder- same 15% off that we have on other Pikes.
    Si (18 bikes)

wobbliscott
    Free Member

They were selling both versions on the german site Bike Discount, a few months ago – though sold out.

davosaurusrex

Cheers Simon, may well do that but got Bike Park Wales uplift on the 16th, aarrrgggghhh, what to do!

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m going through the same agonising terror myself. The extra ofset should make them turn a bit quicker, right? Is that the idea?

davosaurusrex

As I understand it more offset will make handling quicker at lower speeds without compromising the stability at higher speeds too much (i.e. less so then steepening the head angle for the same low speed response benefit would do. But I have been drinking so may have made up at least part of that).

dirtyrider
    Free Member

bump, whats the 51mm offset all about then?

ratherbeintobago

bump, whats the 51mm offset all about then?

Surprisingly useful and non-advertorial PB tech article.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

One of the German sites do the 51mm offset forks for sub £600, but maybe nudging £600 or a tad over by the time you pay for shipping.

accu
    Free Member

davosaurusrex..
    I`m after a solo air, 150mm, 51mm offset..
    may I ask where you found this version in germany..
    thanks

accu
    Free Member

thanks…

singlespeedstu

I’m picking up a 150-51mm offset Pike from my LBS on the 15th.
    Then I’ll be fitting a 160 airspring into them.
    Should be great for Alpine stuff. 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

right, slow this down for me, ive read to much and cannot make sense of it

trail/rake/blah blah,

i want real world advice

i have a TallboyC with 34’s at 140mm on at the moment

it rocks, im not bothered about upgrading to an LTC unless i splangle this one

so pikes,

i want 140mm one

in pikes for dummies language, what will be the real world difference between 51 and whatever the normal ones are?

davosaurusrex

Not sure I can identify the difference between 51 and 46mm offset for you because the Pikes are so much better than the 140mm revs that they replaced in every area that I can’t really tell how much or little of that is down to the offset. Soz. I can tell you the Pikes are superb though.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

ah, your touching on a point

can you tell

davosaurusrex

dirtyrider- I just saw your tallboy in another thread, your Fox 34s look like the 51mm offset model (the crown sweeps forwards from the steerer, this gives the increased offset). Lovely bike BTW

sillyoldman

dirtyrider – Fox 34’s are all 51mm offset.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

right ok

english please, whats the difference between the offset and non pike models

no ones explained it yet in anything i can understand

sillyoldman

“Trail” is the distance that the front wheel axle trails (geddit?) behind the wheel’s contact patch.

The trail figure is dependent on a few things – head angle, fork offset, and wheel size.

A smaller trail figure gives faster handling.

Steepening the head angle reduces trail. Slackening HA increases trail.

Increasing offset reduces trail. Decreasing offset increases it.

Increasing offset rather than steepening HA gives responsive handling, without the “riding the front wheel” sensation that a steep HA gives, as the front wheel is further in front.

Since the advent of suspension forks, the offset figure has been largely standardised (with notable exceptions like Bontrager), so trail adjustments have been made by HA adjustments.

The bigger wheels of 29’ers also increases trail (hence early examples with 72 deg HAs), so increased offset on big wheels has a more noticeable benefit.

If you’ve got 29’er 34’s (which have 51mm offset) stick with that set-up unless you want to slow down the steering response. Only thing to add is that axle-crown lengths may differ between the forks too which would affect HA and therefore trail too.

sillyoldman

Not enough coffee…

Trail is the distance the front wheel’s contact patch trails behind the point on the ground that a line through the bike’s steering axis marks.

Funnily enough the axle doesn’t trail behind the contact patch?!

I guess that the further behind the contact patch is, the less directly you are affecting it with steering input.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

thanks

messiah
    Free Member

I found this and thought of this thread.

Hope it’s useful.

I have the same dilemma for my Nicolai Ion 15…

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘51mm offset Pikes’ is closed to new replies.