• This topic has 37 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by julzm.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • 5010 V Bronson
  • tonup
    Free Member

This might have been asked a hundred times already so apologies if it has,
    I’m currently riding an sb66 which I love but I just fancy building a 650b.
    With that said I’m pretty sure it’s gunna be the 5010 or bronson,
    Trouble is I can’t make my mind up which one so I’m hoping some of you guys can help,
    Ability wise I have a fair fitness level and enjoy going up hill almost as much as going down.
    Whilst I relish a challenge I ain’t the most technically talented and thought a longer travel ride might help with heavy coked up landings, lol,
    I do the odd ride round trail centres such as cannock, Lee quarry, Gisburn and llandegla but most of my riding is done in the peaks on rugged climbs and descents such as Jacobs ladder, spud alley, Lockerbrook and the beast,
    with all the above said what would you guys recommend ?
    Thanks in advance.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Interestingly the frames are almost identical and a few grams difference in weight. That’s what made my mind up and why I choose a Bronson. Was riding those trails you mention a couple months ago on my Broson. Certainly easier with 150mm suspension, Bronson build is more rugged. Not sure weight wise there is a huge difference. What I appreciate is that they are very manoeuvrable

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Giant Trance

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tonup
    Free Member

Nope, lol

wallop

This is a good one! I have a 5010, my other half has a Bronson.

There’s no denying that the Bronson would be more burly, but I wouldn’t be too quick to estimate what the 5010 can cope with for its lesser travel. I’m taking mine to the Alps this weekend and I have no fears about what it can handle. Couple this with the increased rear end responsiveness over its bigger brother, IMO…. I know I’m happy with my choice.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I was totally blown away by the 5010 I tried. In my mind if I was thinking bigger than the 5010 the id probably go full on for the Nomad (or the Capra).
    I’m hoping sanity keeps me pointed at the 5010. Balanced, nimble and total fun. Well compared with Gnarwhale it was.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Bronson for bike park type stuff, Solo for rough stuff.

Which is likely to make up most of your more valued riding?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I’d have put that the other way around Bronson for rough stuff, but their both very capable bikes. You need to demo them both. We are all different riders. My own experience was that I kinda grew out of my Zesty 140mm and could use the extra travel and stiffness. Depends where you are on the evolutionary trails ha ha I still have my 2010 Zesty and still enjoy riding it.

I could certainly see myself ordering a Solo as my next bike to replace the Zesty. A Nomad would be nice but I’m more enduro type rider.

Bottom line, demo them

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

5010, without a doubt. They ride so differently – the Bronson I hated, the 5010 I love.

In fact it’s got next bike written all over it when i’m back from Canada 🙂

tonup
    Free Member

I can feel a demo coming on,

sparkyrhino

Demo’d both at Stainburn last month,enjoyed both but Bronson was the one for me,have a BlurTR and the 5010 is very similar,I would have no issues chucking a 5010/Blur down the peaks though more than capable.Book a demo for sure.

julzm
    Free Member

I have both a bronson and 5010. Bronson has 160mm pikes and CCDBcs out back. 5010 has 140mm pikes and fox float ctd kashima shock.

Both bikes ride very differently. The bronson handles anything and is very forgiving, it climbs excellently. The shock gives it a real bottomless feel and it’s very plush and controllable.

The 5010 is much more fun to ride, more poppy on jumps etc, climbs amazingly well (so much so that when I get back on the bronson I think there’s something wrong with me). My OH is a lot fitter than me but I can hammer him climbing when I’m on the 5010. It will handle decent sized drops, 4ft ish. I’ve not done more than that on it. However, the fox float shock is nowhere near as good as the cane creek. It blows through the travel a lot more linear, and you can feel the bottom out on it, which is hard to predict somehow.

Natural stuff = bronson.
    Trails and trail centres = 5010

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Yep – demo them. Best way. I demoed both – and felt the Bronson was probably way too much bike for 99% of UK trails. Then again, I am an XC up-as-much-as-down type, so read into that what you will.

The 5010 I felt was a supremely confidence-inspiring ride – excellent for the more UK Gnar trails – and definitely capable of dealing with (what I imagine) full on Alpine trails (to be like). It’s probably still too much bike for 80% of UK trails though IMO

themightymowgli
    Free Member

I’ve tried both and I’d say the 5010 wins hands down for most the UK riding. My friend easily conquered Snowdon, BPW as well as chalk downland pedal-fests like Dorset on his. The Bronson just felt a little too burly and sluggish. The 5010 is so fast when pedalling and never really gets out of its depth even on the steep techy stuff. I’ve ridden it with RS Revs and would be intrigued to know what it would feel like with Pikes up front just for that added stiffness and maybe an extra 10mm travel.

jsync

I have a Bronson, demo’d a 5010, Bronson, Heckler in the Peaks and at Stainburn. I’m with Julz on this one:

Natural stuff = bronson.

I found the 5010 was pinging off everything when it got rocky whereas the Bronson holds it’s line.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

another Bronson owner + one

Natural stuff = bronson.

tonup
    Free Member

So can you actually book a demo then or do you have to go on specific demo days ?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Some places like Skyline have a demno fleet

tonup
    Free Member

Wheres that mate.
    Im in sheffield, like

tinytim

Try the guys at 18 cycles in Hope

I know at least one of them rides a 5010 on Peak trails and loves it

Pretty sure they can easily arrange a demo of both bikes on local trails

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

You just missed the 18 bikes demo day last Sat.
    But they do have a Bronson and a solo for demo.

simonbowns
    Free Member

Beaten to it! We do indeed have a Solo Carbon (large) and Bronson Carbon (medium) along with my XL Solo.

We’re closed Wednesdays, but feel free to call, email or pop in and we can discuss demo rides.

Oh, Solo imho – that’s what I chose too.

AlexSimon

After riding all 3, I came to the conclusion that I would probably buy a Solo or Nomad.
    The Bronson wasn’t as much fun on easy trails as the Solo and the Nomad was a better descender than the Bronson without really feeling much slower everywhere else.

So – Solo for me, if it’s just between those 2.

zelak999
    Free Member

Great, i was sure i wanted a Bronson after testing it twice.
    Not so sure now after reading this thread.
    I will have to find a South West dealer that has a 5010C in stock for me to try!

wallop

I will have to find a South West dealer that has a 5010C in stock for me to try!

BW Cycling in Bristol got one in for me.

Or head to Afan in September: http://www.santacruzbikes.co.uk/demo-dates/

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Love my 5010 CC, Light and fun.
    Pedals very well and seems it can take the abuse

Mine is just under 26lbs and is the bike i ride the most

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Todays ride

julzm
    Free Member

Nocolaisam what shock do you have on your 5010? Think I’m about to press the button on a DBInline.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

It has a Monarch RT3 Debonair. Didnt like the Fox unit that was on it.

Thinking about trying a Bos Vipr 2

barbs
    Free Member

And what travel are you running on the Pikes if i may ask?

nicolaisam
    Free Member

They are 140mm Revs 😀

willv

i use mine for anything and everything as its my only mtb. Use it in the lakes, munro bagging, enduro’s, ten under the ben, local xc races and so on.

Does it all no bother. I am sure a bigger nomad type bike may be better on big hills but I didn’t have any problems.

Just put a 150mm Pike on it which has slackened it and made a difference for steeper trails. may drop to 140mm yet though

thumbs up from me 🙂

will

willv

i use mine for anything and everything as its my only mtb. Use it in the lakes, munro bagging, enduro’s, ten under the ben, local xc races and so on.

Does it all no bother. I am sure a bigger nomad type bike may be better on big hills but I didn’t have any problems.

Just put a 150mm Pike on it which has slackened it and made a difference for steeper trails. may drop to 140mm yet though

thumbs up from me 🙂

will

catvet
    Free Member

Ex WC DH racer locally rides a 5010 with 160 fox on front, most would struggle to get anywhere near him, up or down hill!!
    Trashed the carbon frame rear end so now has the alloy one, and still totalled the rear Enve carbon rim!!

chrismac

I wouldnt have either as they are far to overpriced.

johnnystorm

Very helpful. Answers none of the OP’s questions and then doesn’t even go on to suggest an unwanted alternative. 🙄

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Maybe check the bottom bracket hights if your into more rugged terrain. Bronson is higher than Nomad and 5010. Makes rock gardens etc easier with less potential for pedal strike. It’s more your do it all bike. I think the Bronson is the sort of bike you can take anywhere and not be out your depth.

julzm
    Free Member

I’m running 140mm pikes in my 5010 but I believe they’re only available from Santa Cruz with either a full bike or frame. Of course, you could get some 150mms reduced to 140mm.
    The pikes are awesome on this wee bike.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘5010 V Bronson’ is closed to new replies.