Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 500gb or 1 tb PS4?
  • geoffj

He’s not a hard core gamer, probably going to play star wars battlefront, Fifa 16 and a driving game + mine craft.
    I’m struggling to see the extra £50 for the 1tb version, but I don’t know how much space ps4 games take up. Whaddya think?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

500gb is plenty

Cougar

An Xbox One full game download can be 40-50Gb. Dunno about the PS4 but I’d expect it’s similar.

Drac

1Tb 500Gb fills up in no the as game installs are huge and operating system takes up a huge chunk. That said its dead easy to upgrade at a later date.

chojin
    Free Member

The full game downloads are ridiculously expensive over their disc-based cousins. I’d say go for the 500GB. You can always upgrade it easily at a later point if you absolutely need to.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Downloads are more expensive than discs, 500gb uses a lot let power than 1tb, and I’m not sure if is still the case but a very important system upgrade only originally came out for 500gb. As said an upgrade is easy at a later date if required

windyg
    Free Member

Very easy to upgrade, Sony even provide a guide on how to do it.
    I bought a external 1TB drive removed it from the case fitted that to the PS4 and the original 500gb went back in the case and is my portable drive.

Drac

Digital download is more expensive if you’re buying for one but you can share them with more than one PS4 so it works out cheaper if you need one more copy or have a friend who will share games with you.

geoffj

The Argos £299 deal for a 500 gb + Fifa 16 and the Starwars game is looking very tempting.
    I upgraded the PS3 to a 500 gb, so I’m not phased by the doing the PS4 if I need to.

Thanks all

martinhutch

Amazon had the same bundle for about 280 a day or so ago so might be worth keeping an eye out to see if it reappears around Black Friday.

Actually, even better than that.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sony-playstation-4-500gb-with-star-wars-battlefront-fifa-16-steelbook-edition-ps4-2327587

geoffj

Nice one martinhutch – ordered from Amazon 🙂

flaps
    Free Member

Regardless of if you download the game or buy the disk it still needs installing and don’t forget that a 500GB drive doesn’t mean 500GB is available for your use. I got the 500GB version shortly after release though and being a trader of games rather than a hoarder I’ve never found it to be an issue.

Some cracking deals out at the moment, just a shame the new Tomb Raider’s not coming to the PS4 for a while, the first was brill.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Playstation Plus has free games every month; it’s very easy to fill a 500gb disc with downloads, save games and other toss. It took me about 4 months.

I got a 1tb Hybrid SSD for about £50. Took about 10 minutes to fit. The console fires up in about 20 seconds now, so I’d recommend one of those.

chipster

I just pre-ordered this one for £290
    https://www.gamestop.co.uk/PlayStation%204/Games/54684/playstation-4-1tb-players-mega-pack?&utm_source=tradedoubler

As a non-gamer, I’m now hoping I’ve not dropped a chubby. 😕

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

God Of War can be had for a tenner, and the other 2 games, while good, are remasters.

It’s not the end of the world, but it is Black Friday week now, so some better deals may be coming.

…or not 😛

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

On the ps4 about 110gb is taken up by os and online and settings. Average game install is between 45-80gb plus game saves if on console but can use the cloud to save these. New games like battlefront and need for speed are all saved online now on a game profile but this makes the install slightly bigger.

Ive put a 3tb in mine out of a old laptop i had lying about and im nearing full on that but i do have a good few games mostly digi downloads but you can delete these if needs be and re download again via the store or library for free as you have already paid for them.

Xbox one supports game install data via any external usb 3.0 hdd sony does not.. It only accepts media from a hdd as sony belive running games from a external hdd is 2x slower than if from internal memory i do notice some load issues and slight lag when i play games from my external hdd on xbox one tbh but sony are ment to be releasing a update to allow the use of external drives.

topdude
    Free Member

I’d say 1TB if you can afford it!

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

There’s a new hardware revision that’s more efficient so runs with less fan noise but it’s only available as a 500GB model at the moment. That’s the one I’d get as the fan noise on my original model is quite very intrusive at times and the HDD can always be upgraded at a later date if you run out of storage.

flaps
    Free Member

I’ve never noticed the fan being loud on mine to be honest.

The thing that annoys me the most is the amount of updates it has. I’m quite busy most nights so I might only get on once/twice a week. It’s ridiculous how many times I’ve had to wait for an update before ‘accessing network features’.

Milkie
    Free Member

+1 Rusty Shackleford – The new PS4, runs quieter and slightly faster. You can always upgrade the HD when needed.

Drac

The updates aren’t that often but if it bothers you can set your PS4 to ‘wake up’ and install updates that are pushed to it.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Ive got a few ps4 s inc the newer c chassis model (i collect them have the limited ed models) the c chassis has a smaller fan thus being quiter and more efficient but.. This has a knock on effect that its not as good at cooling the ps4.

I never notice the noise on my older modem tbh and i leave mine in rest mode all the time so all updates are done when not in use never had a issue with overheating or bigger leccy bill. Not even noticed any speed differences between the newer models as theyre exaclty the same internals and specs just diff hdd caddy and smaller fan.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘500gb or 1 tb PS4?’ is closed to new replies.