Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 421 total)
  • "5000" lumen light….
  • bellefied
    Free Member

top man Ollie! 🙂

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve just mailed you too Olly.

Cheers mate

banjax34
    Free Member

email on its way………..

jamesoz

CBA to read the whole thread and sorry if it’s been done but as a user of the single XML cheapie chinese spolight on my lid, I have found there is very little to no strain relief for the cable at the battery end and the lamp end. This resulted, after a years use in a short cicuit at both ends, proving at least there is short circuit protection.
    But still an annoying failure.
    A simple fix is to cable tie a loop in the cable at each end so the the strain is taken up by the cable, rather than the soldered ends of the thin guage wire and will hopefully avoid the need to re-solder the connections (bloody dificult at the lamp end) if you catch the cable on something

jruk
    Free Member

I’ve a Solarstorm head unit on order – does anyone know what connector’s on it? I’ve also ordered this battery which looks like the one sold by C and B. Please tell me it’s going to fit…

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Hi Ollie, I’m also interested in your £12 offer, but can’t find your email addy 😳

marmaduke
    Free Member

Right guys I’m off to bed, I’ll reply to any more emails from you night owls in the morning! 😀

ivnickkate I’ve sent you an email.

marmaduke
    Free Member

I’ve a Solarstorm head unit on order – does anyone know what connector’s on it? I’ve also ordered this battery which looks like the one sold by C and B. Please tell me it’s going to fit…

Hey jruk that pack looks like it may just about fit at a push although it doesn’t have the waterproof screw attachment. You may also find the runtimes are a bit disappointing.

Ollie

dave3fc
    Free Member

Ollie, put me down for a £12 battery box too please.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Last night’s 2 hour nightride on medium with high for only descents. 2 bars left on both. Fast tech stock batteries

wwpaddler
    Free Member

@cruzcampo

What have you used to attach the light to your helmet?

Sui
    Free Member

Saw a SS 3 on last night’s ride, stupid bright..

mick_r

Brand new set out for first time last night.

Fully charged the night before (3 green). Plugged in yesterday and had one flashing green (eek). Still managed 2.5 hours of slightly nervous low + medium use. Hopefully might improve with a few charge cycles…..

On my old Hopes I’ve been running my son’s 4Ah RC car Nimh battery with no problems (much more reliable and longer run time than the original Hope pack which they already replaced twice on warranty). There is a small weight and size penalty, but seem cheap, rugged and reliable compared to Lion and much more tolerant of less than ideal charge / discharge habits. Also means I can do a 30 minute recharge (£25 buys a delta V sensing charger that runs on 12V / 240V)

jruk
    Free Member

Oh bugger, looks like I’ve ordered the wrong battery…can anyone recommend one that will fit, run for a decent amount of time and not burn my garage down when I’m charging it please?

cookeaa

Still waiting on my X2 but thinking about batterys more and more ahead of it arriving…

anyone know how much current the ‘X2’ actually draws on “High” mode? I was assuming it would run both of the LEDs at 2.8-3A meaning the draw would be 5.6-6A… Right?

But theblackmount’s trial (3hrs run time from a 4x3100mAh battery pack) suggests the ‘X2’ is pulling something like 4-4.2A on high… doe it run each LED at ~ 2A (to manage heat?) or have I just got my maths way off?

Rich
    Free Member

I read elsewhere that they draw around 2A on high, which would fit in with a 3 hour runtime as 4x3100mAh batteries make up a 6200mAh battery when wired for 7.4v.

spudly1979
    Free Member

hi guys, did anyone have a link for a UK seller who sold the head unit without the battery and charger? What with all the concern over it, i’d planned to buy a better battery, but i don’t really want to have to have 2!

pdw
    Free Member

anyone know how much current the ‘X2’ actually draws on “High” mode? I was assuming it would run both of the LEDs at 2.8-3A meaning the draw would be 5.6-6A… Right?

No, because the LEDs operate at around 3.2V whereas the battery is at 7.4V.

Someone posted earlier that they draw 2A from the battery. If you assume that the driver is 90% efficient and do the sums, you end up with just over 2A through each LED. This would give a brightness of around 1500 lumens, which is exactly what the manufacturer claims.

4x3100mAh is wired as 2S2P so you end up with a 7.4V 6200mAh battery.

MarkLG
    Free Member

The lights draw between 2 and 2.4 amps, depending on battery voltage. The driver seems to maintain a constant output, so when the battery voltage drops off the current draw.
    The kit batteries seem to be between 2 and 3 Ah. Good quality 3.1Ah cells built into a 2s2p pack giving 6.2Ah should give 2.5 – 3 hours on high beam, and about 5 hrs using most med power, and high on downhills.

Painey
    Free Member

Heading out tonight with my X2 for the first time. Have that on my lid and a fluxient 3x u2 on the bars. Should be plenty bright enough 🙂

cookeaa

Having read the Cree data sheet it says the XML-U2 puts out a calculated 742lm @2000 mA, more “honest” sources are calling the ‘X2’ a “1500lm” (2x750lm) light so that makes far more sense more efficient that running them both at the 3A max…

I was being lazy and just totting up A as if they were in series but then doubling the current the lamp draws… I’d ended up at the same run time numbers, but I was ignoring voltage, which the driver must reduce down to run the two emitters… Effectively Halve the voltage, double the current… right?

But then just how crappy are the stock battery packs then?
    The battery pack had to be ~2200mAh for the 1 hour 15 mins on “high” that Milkie reported, using 1100mAh cells? (laptop reclamation jobbies?), that is concerning…

I suppose you’re looking at what ~£40 on some reasonable 3100 or 3400 mAh cells plus a bit for that housing and maybe some other bits?, so achiving that 3hrs plus run time on high is a good £50. But I think it’s worth assembling a decent battery pack, not specifically for the ‘X2’ but because there seems to be a new chinese light doing the rounds every 12 – 24 months and I’d rather just buy a head unit for relatively little and run them off of a reliable power source than the viariable quality packs they come with as standard…

bellefied
    Free Member

The battery pack had to be ~2200mAh for the 1 hour 15 mins on “high” that Milkie reported, using 1100mAh cells? (laptop reclamation jobbies?), that is concerning…

but seriously what do you expect for £21 for the whole set of lights, batteries, battery charger, battery holder, etc.

They are bound to be reclaimed batteries as they are effectively free compared to buying 4 Panasonics with built in protection

pdw
    Free Member

Having read the Cree data sheet it says the XML-U2 puts out a calculated 742lm @2000 mA, more “honest” sources are calling the ‘X2’ a “1500lm” (2x750lm) light so that makes far more sense more efficient that running them both at the 3A max…

Yep.

I was being lazy and just totting up A as if they were in series but then doubling the current the lamp draws… I’d ended up at the same run time numbers, but I was ignoring voltage, which the driver must reduce down to run the two emitters… Effectively Halve the voltage, double the current… right?

By complete fluke, ignoring voltage gives the right answer in this case: the LEDs have about 3.25V across each of them, or 6.5V across a pair in series, which is about 10% less than the battery voltage – and you’d expect to see about a 10% power loss in the driver. So in this case, the current through each LED just happens to be roughly the same as the current from the battery.

I’d assumed that the stock batteries were just a single pair of 18650s in series, so two 2200mAh cells. Although if you look here:

http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/18650-batteries-chargers.html

1100mAh cells are not unheard of…

cookeaa

Next noddy question Anyone ever built a battery using 26650 cells? found some 4000mAh, 3.7V – 26650 for a reasonable price…

I’d be building a battery using my current converted storage bottle as a housing so there’s bags of space to fit them in… any reason not to try and lash an 8000mAh battery together?

It should run a single XML or P7 for ~5.25+ hours or the ‘X2’ for ~4 hours I think…

marmaduke
    Free Member

Next noddy question Anyone ever built a battery using 26650 cells? found some 4000mAh, 3.7V – 26650 for a reasonable price…

Should be an interesting build, I’d go for it. Will you cut the connector off your existing pack?

marmaduke
    Free Member

hi guys, did anyone have a link for a UK seller who sold the head unit without the battery and charger? What with all the concern over it, i’d planned to buy a better battery, but i don’t really want to have to have 2!

Hey Spudly1979, I have some sets coming, someone else wants the charger out of one of them so you’re welcome to the head unit and I’m sure I can find a home for the waterproof battery box.

Ollie

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@wwpaddler ssx2 is mounted with strong sticky back velcro, quick to attach/detach, sometimes quickly add zipties for added security from branches etc

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@painy get some pics!

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@cookea

“But then just how crappy are the stock battery packs then?
    The battery pack had to be ~2200mAh for the 1 hour 15 mins on “high” that Milkie reported, using 1100mAh cells? (laptop reclamation jobbies?), that is concerning…”

when you get the SSX2 for less than £25, and realise just how good medium is on the trails compared to £200-£300 more expensive Hope units etc, I think they are absolute bargains, and switching onto high when needed is to be expected for a 3 hour outing 😉

jruk
    Free Member

Marmaduke – when you say battery box, do you mean a box to put a battery in or a battery+box? Sorry for being thick. How does the one you have differ from the one I mentioned?

Ta!

cookeaa

Should be an interesting build, I’d go for it. Will you cut the connector off your existing pack?

I’ve got a spare connector from a previous dead battery, it’ll be going in this setup:

It just uses an intermediate section of cable I made up to connect the battery to the head. You simply adjust how much cable it uses with the gromit and the slack stays in the bottle see:

Easily enough room to accommodate 4 x 26650…

marmaduke
    Free Member

Nicely done! I was thinking getting the Solarstorm factory to send some of their waterproof connectors as long as they’re dirt cheap for similar DIY projects. Like these
    Do you think a bit of water/dirt ingress makes any difference? Did you cannibalise something else for the sealed bolts?

cookeaa

I just used cheap connectors, I think I got them from maplin.
    If your worried about crap ingress you can just give them a wrap of tape.

pdw
    Free Member

I’d be interested to see how you get on. My trusty 14.8V 4.4Ah Lumicycle bottle battery has just died, so I’m wondering what to do to replace it.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Mine arrived today, rode tonight.

Boght solar storm 2 led unit with 4 cell battery, also ordered 8 cell 10000 mah battery for increased run time.
    Only took the 4 cell battery tonight, Its got good light very bright decent range, but had it bar mounted. Will try it on my helmet next time as it seems to cast a lot of shadows mounted on the bars. Im hoping the extra height of helmet mount will make this better.
    Paid £21 for light & 4 cell battery & charger and £13 for 8 cell battery. Direct from China through ebay. All seems good for the money.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Mine arrived today, rode tonight.

Bought solar storm 2 led unit with 4 cell battery, also ordered 8 cell 10000 mah battery for increased run time.
    Only took the 4 cell battery tonight, Its got good light very bright decent range, but had it bar mounted. Will try it on my helmet next time as it seems to cast a lot of shadows mounted on the bars. Im hoping the extra height of helmet mount will make this better.
    Paid £21 for light & 4 cell battery & charger and £13 for 8 cell battery. Direct from China through ebay. All seems good for the money.

aracer
    Free Member

I have totally non-waterproof Molex connectors for my head torch. No particular need to seal out the water from your connectors – the amount of current drain through the water conducting will be tiny compared to the amount your light is drawing. Just keep the wet away from any electronics.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Can someone give me the definitive link where i can buy with battery spares

richmtb

So I’ve been running the solarstorm X2 for a little while now.

No issues with the battery, 2 hours on high, no idea how long on medium 3 hour plus probably – I’m not out that long

For such a cheap light the output is good but its not “ZOMG this light is amazeballs” bright, its not noticeably brighter than my C&B seen 1200 lumen single XML.

Still the head unit is quite nicely made and its pretty small which make it ideal as a helmet light and the three mode settings are useful. Medium is bright enough for 90% of the trails I ride at night.

I can’t really fault it for the money.

benp1

Mine turned up today. Ordered from the ebay chap in Crawley on Sunday evening

The battery pack is smaller than I expected, indeed so was the whole package. Will give it a run out asap and see how it goes

He must have got a lot of sales in the last few weeks

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 421 total)

The topic ‘"5000" lumen light….’ is closed to new replies.