Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 421 total)
  • "5000" lumen light….
  • cruzcampo
    Free Member
    cruzcampo
    Free Member

@bigdawg when you click on that UK sellers profile it says “Member since: 23-Apr-13

@daveR i’ve got all mine from http://www.fasttech.com/product/1285800-solarstorm-x2-cree-xm-l-u2-4-mode-2000-lumen-led-b

felt
    Free Member

cruzcampo – Member
    I’m reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally tempted to hit the trigger on this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RED-Color-SolarStorm-X3-4-Modes-2500-lumen-3xCree-XM-L-U2-LED-Bicycle-light-/261299990360?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd6b16f58

That would make my X2 out of date, and it hasn’t arrived yet 😥

clubber
    Free Member

They’re obviously China based but I note that in the returns info they say to return to their UK location so I expect that’s how it’s done.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@clubber that looks a bit to like my XML-T6 which i’m out of love with due to poor beam spread.

@felt X2 on the helmet x3 on the bars. x2 is more than adequate though, i’m just getting lumen greed now.

Northwind

Heh, if that little 5x is running all those XMLs at full whack, it’ll probably be a contest to find out whether the battery runs out before the light melts.

rascal
    Free Member

How soon has it generally taken for people to get their Solarstorms from the UK seller?
    Probably RM or whoever being crap but was expecting mine on Weds…

MarkLG
    Free Member

Solarstorm just arrived – this thing is tiny.
    Ordered Sunday night, delivered Thursday am recorded delivery.
    Had a bit of a problem with the length of the wire – it’s a lot shorter the my XML-T6s, which means it won’t reach down to the adapted water bottle that the battery sits in. Had to cut the lead off an old charger, open up the light and solder it on in place of the original.

It looks like a lot of the UK ebay sellers are actually the same Crawley based outfit using several different user names. Probably acting as a middle man for somebody in China. No doubt they’ll be doing the Solarstorm X3s in a couple of weeks.

Daniel
    Free Member

Ordered mine from the UK seller on Tuesday morning and arrived this morning. Posted first class recorded. Not tried it yet but it is very small.

dukeduvet

I ordered mine last Friday first thing from ebay seller dongx2011. Said black was out of stock and restock would be Monday but then told posted on the friday to me.

Expected delivery was supposed to be Wednesday but still waiting now.

dh
    Free Member

christ i’m making an arse of this

be warned one of those ebay links above doesn’t include a battery.

£33 deal extreme does.

dx

rascal
    Free Member

Just arrived.
    It’s very small but very bright even in daylight.
    First impressions are that it seems look good quality.
    Ordered red and got black – not that it matters as it’ll be on when it’s dark anyway 😉

MarkLG
    Free Member

Just out of curiosity I hooked mine up to a multimeter to see what sort of power they’re using.
    Current draw for a single XML-T6 was 0.2A on low and 0.8A on high.
    For the 2x U2 it’s 0.2A, 0.9A and 2.0A on low, med and high.

So medium is using the same sort of power as high beam on the T6, which is good for around 2.5 hrs on the standard battery. You’ll get less than an hour on high setting on the 2x U2, so if you just want to leave it on high all the time it’s probably worth investing in some better quality batteries.

molgrips
    Free Member

0.8A on high.. hmm.. I have an 11.8Ah battery. That should do nicely 🙂

06awjudd
    Free Member

Does anyone know if I should be able to use my T6 charger on my X2 battery?
    My X2 came with a charger which has an American plug and I don’t want to shed out for an adapter. 🙄

Sorry slightly off topic.

mmmfergus
    Free Member

06awjudd – almost certainly fine, just check the output voltages, they should both be same 8.4v

nickjb
    Free Member

Adapters are £1 available from all good pound shops. Most shaver adapters will work. It’ll also add a fuse which will help if it does go pop.

mmmfergus
    Free Member

For those buying from lightmalls a couple of coupon codes
    prot2cou for $2 off when you spend over $30
    prot5cou5 for $5 off when you spend over $80

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I used my light on the trails for the fist time tonight. After about an hour and three quarters it cut out. The switch was still in the green mode and I had been switching between the medium and high settings to conserve power.

Should I put this down to a first run/ charge glitch or is there something wrong with the light unit or the battery?

MarkLG
    Free Member

mcmoonter – Recharge the battery and run it down again at home. 1hr45 sounds about right for these batteries if you’re switching between med and high.
    Not sure if the batteries are under voltage protected, but if they are the light will just cut out when the battery voltage drops to a certain level.
    I did some more fiddling in the garage this evening and the batteries are definitely the weak link – they really aren’t strong enough for a light of this power. The light is drawing 2.2 – 2.4 Amp depending on which battery I’ve got connected. The voltage holds up well on medium power, but drops off pretty quickly when you switch to high.
    I’m looking at ordering some Samsung cells to make up a 5.6Ah pack, which should be good for 2hr+ high power.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve had it on the charger for about half an hour now and the lights are working. I will give it a full charge / discharge cycle and see what the run time is like. Our night rides are usually between two and three hours, so an extra more reliable battery may be the way forward.

lyrikal
    Free Member

Is there any reason that the battery packs for RC helicopters and planes wouldn’t work with these lights? My old boy is big into RC stuff and gets batteries from websites like hobby king quite often.

What would I be looking for in terms of battery? I don’t have a notion about electronics

pdw
    Free Member

For the 2x U2 it’s 0.2A, 0.9A and 2.0A on low, med and high.

That suggests somewhere around 1500 lumens on high, assuming the driver is reasonably efficient.

neiloxford
    Free Member
    Junkyard
    Free Member

Is there any reason that the battery packs for RC helicopters and planes wouldn’t work with these lights? My old boy is big into RC stuff and gets batteries from websites like hobby king quite often.

What would I be looking for in terms of battery? I don’t have a notion about electronics

would work and you need
    1. Correct voltage [ or near enough]
    2. More Amp/Hr = more power = longer burn time
    3. waterproof or easy enough to do this
    4. Method of attaching to bike
    5. Connector to match battery pack to light connector

lyrikal
    Free Member

Choice of batteries on hobby king is massive, excuse my ignorance but what voltage and MAH rating would these lights need to up the run time?

2200mah seems to be a reasonable price and they come in various voltages, C ratings as I’ve learnt are voltage ratings

Every days a school day

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@neiloxford the official source of the solarstorm and proper site it seems, nice find!

this does look well engineered

http://www.solarstorm.hk/productview.asp?id=42&classid=006

lyrikal
    Free Member

Seems the working voltage of the light is 8.4v. The RC battery’s come in 7.4v or 11.1v Will 11.1 fry it?

wiggles
    Free Member

If you are looking at rc batteries on hobby king, most of them will be lipo so 2s are 7.4v so is closest to the 8v li-ion batteries that come with the hk lights.

C rating is to do with the draw they cam handle is higher the c rating the more amps they can handle efficiently iirc

You can get a 5000mah 2s lipo for just over a tenner. Only downside is you will need a decent balance charger that would set you back £30+

So not sure it would be worth it by the time you have to buy the charger change the connectors find a safe way of mounting it…etc

lyrikal
    Free Member

Luckily the old boy has chargers galore, problem solved. Mounting, waterproofing and connectors are a minor issue, some rough agri engineering will sort those out!

I’ll run the battery that comes with it and see how it fares first

Jamie
    Free Member

Had a quick skim through the thread, so apologies if already been asked, but is the best option, if you want a battery and charger that you would feel comfortable leaving charging overnight/unattended, is to get someone like smudge to supply that side of things? Or are there any ‘premium’ offerings from China/HK?

richpips
    Free Member

3 1/2 hours running two of these on low/med for 2 1/2 hrs then full gas for an hour.

Another static 1/2 hour at home today.

robbieh
    Free Member

Choice of batteries on hobby king is massive, excuse my ignorance but what voltage and MAH rating would these lights need to up the run time?

2200mah seems to be a reasonable price and they come in various voltages, C ratings as I’ve learnt are voltage ratings

Every days a school day
    I use to be into RC and the batts I think you are referring to are LIPOs, if so the problem with these is they are fragile as they are not in a proper hard case like the 18650 cell packs. You can buy cells from Torchy on ebay and make your own packs by soldering 4 cells together in a 2 parallel then 2 series formation. I recently made a couple of packs up from cells from a cordless drill I had when it packed up. The LION packs had 5 18650 Samsung cells in each pack so I took them apart and re-assembled them.

pdw
    Free Member

Seems the working voltage of the light is 8.4v. The RC battery’s come in 7.4v or 11.1v Will 11.1 fry it?

The 7.4v will actually be the same voltage as the “8.4V” battery. Like the lumens, the quoted voltages have suffered from a bit of inflation. LiPos and LiIons both have an average working voltage of around 3.7V per cell, so 7.4V for a pair in series. The maximum voltage achieved briefly after charging is around 4.2V, which is why 8.4V gets quoted.

benp1

That solarstorm website ‘only’ quotes 1500 lumens as the max output for the x2

I’ve been on the fence waiting to make a decision around these, they do look good, especially for the price.

I’ve been making do with a fluxient U2 mini on my bars, which I bought for commuting, and a sunwayman v20c as my helmet light (which I had already), gives me over 1000 real lumens combined and let’s me carry back up batteries that I can use in ether torch

neiloxford
    Free Member

Yeah the X2 is only 1500 lumens…

http://www.solarstorm.hk/productview.asp?id=23&classid=006

and also, it appears it might be on version 3 from the title…

widge34
    Free Member

Charged my battery up then connected light and left it on full power. It lasted just over an hour and light got very hot. Not impressed with battery life. I will recharge battery and try again. I know sometimes it can take a few charges for battery to be at its best, but i did expect better out of the box

neninja
    Free Member

Charged my battery up then connected light and left it on full power. It lasted just over an hour and light got very hot.

Did you have a fan on the light to keep cool it during the run time test?

If not, and if the light didn’t have heat protection that stepped the power down when it got hot, you risk damaging the emitters.

widge34
    Free Member

No i didnt, but didnt expect it to get that hot. It would still get very hot even running it on the bike at night though.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 421 total)

The topic ‘"5000" lumen light….’ is closed to new replies.