Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • £500 ish …. what to do??
  • daviek

Right i have up to around about £500ish to spend on my bike but I’m sort of lost for which direction in which to go……

I have a 2010 Carrera Fury but the only things original on it are the frame and forks (Suntour epicon LOD air 120mm) everything else has been changed out, nice bars, M8000 drive train, Stans rims with hope hubs & M785 brakes all of which I’m very happy with apart from the frame. You see at the time of buying the bike it was the first bike id bought for about 23 years and liked the spec, how it was finished and the reviews were all good but it was only available at the time in 18″ or 20″ when I should really have got a 16″ frame for my short arse stature.
    So what I’m after (i think) is some advice on what to get frame wise, I quite fancy one of the new 26″ BFe frames from Cotic but there’s also the we nagging doubt at the back of my head saying I should get a 650b frame that’s happy with a 26″ so that in the future if I fancy it I could always pick up some wheels and a fork when funds allow. If i’m going down the moon on a stick route if there was the above that had silly enough clearance for 650b+ tyres then that would open up even more choice for later but I cant see that being possible.

Quite fancy a Bird Zero TR and then there’s a PP OKA which looks nice, I could go on but whats the thoughts on a replacement framethen? I don’t do any mental stuff and im probably about 10 1/2 stone fully suited and booted so not after a tank.

cheers in advance!

chubstr
    Free Member

Now you’ve just asked a question I could do with an answer to…..will a 650b frame be ok with 26inch wheels as a temporary measure.

I will be following this one

jekkyl

Why is the Fb stw linking to a thread with just the ops post? Very weird, a bot?

chubstr
    Free Member

Incidentally, I like the Bfe

bramblesummer
    Free Member

£500 sounds like a week in the lakes or similar…..that’s assuming you haven’t already allocated pocket money to holidays etc.

br
    Free Member

£500 will pick up a decent 26″ FS frame (and more), do this.

madlyrotating
    Free Member

On one 4560B and a set of 650b wheels

Stevelol
    Free Member

Get the BFe and some second hand 26″ xfusion forks or lyrics, with your budget you’re in a position to get some epic 26″ bargains that give you huge bang per buck

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Cotic looks great, up to date geometry’s, stay 26″, cheap forks available…

…or go fully 650b with a Cotic or Bird. Don’t mess about with the wrong wheels, I thought about it, was advised not to and now my Bird Zero AM is built, it’s obvious my feet would be dragging in the floor, it’s got a very low bb with 650b wheels

jambalaya
    Free Member

I quite fancy one of the new 26″ BFe frames from Cotic

This is exactly what I was going to suggest, I have the 2012 frame and love it. I have been looking out for a used Soul 26er of similar vintage, an option for you circa £150-200 used. If you did get the BFe you can get the Hope BB and Headset with the converter so you can use your forks or in time switch to a set of tapered’s (all I think the frame, BB and headset+adapter is £550 though)

FWIW both my bikes are 2012 vintage 26″ with forks on one being from 2006, stuff last longer than people’s ability to not buy something new 😉

EDIT: I assume you have seen this thread linky

cyclohappy
    Free Member
    handyandy
    Free Member

it just so happens that I have an as new BFE in small with some xfusion velvets about to go on sale. 😉

daviek

Thanks for all the replies!

bramblesummer – A week away is a nice thought but I work away from home and spend enough time away from the wee hooligans as it is.

B r – I did consider a FS frame but decided against it as I quite like handrails.

Cyclohappy – a fat bike might be fun but I’d rather have one I’m very happy with rather than 2 I’m so so with.

I’m stuck between the bird with odd wheels or the BFe ….

The Mrs is making me spend the cash! Help needed to make my life easier 😯

daviek

Double reply!! 😳

cookeaa

If I had £500 to burn on a bike? 2nd hand 26er or 29er… 650b bikes are still too new and shiny for people to “devalue” a used one..

I would look at something complete like this handjob and spend the difference on drivetrain upgrades, chop the steerer and either keep the Carrerra as a spare or flog it to fund some extra toys on the replacement bike…

renton
    Free Member

How about an as new 29er full bike for £480 ??

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/on-one-parkwood-large-500

daviek

If i was 6″ taller i might have thought about it, but I’m set on keeping my 26″ bits in motion …..

peepingtom
    Free Member

£500 Will get you a Boardman Pro HT 29er . See plenty on ebay hardly ued all the time and great bikes .

renton
    Free Member

Fair one.

The Bird Zero hardtails look very good for money

theboatman
    Free Member

Faced with a similar decision a year ago, I decided MTB’s had diversified beyond my limited brain and did this for just shy of £500;

[/url]IMG_20160424_215345 by IamDeathside, on Flickr[/img]

And I now very happily rotate between the my old MTB and this……. probably hasn’t helped, soz 🙂

skids
    Free Member

get a road bike

daviek

No mentioning road bikes is not helping at all! mind you there’s far too many nutters on the go for me to enjoy it id be forever looking over my shoulder.

lukeryan
    Free Member

Dartmoor Hornet ticks all the boxes and is a bargain at £185. Leaves you with over £300 spare for new forks too.

http://slam69.co.uk/dartmoor-hornet—26650b-frame-7424-p.asp

wicki
    Free Member

woow your right about those Boardmans great spec for little cash

daviek

Oooh forgot all about hornets! Well that’s another one to consider.

jambalaya
    Free Member

There seems little point to me in spending £500 to buy a second hardtail – choices as far as i can see are

New frame and bits to transfer current kit too, sell old frame for what you can
    Break/sell current bike – add proceeds to “new bike fund” could give you a budget of £750 ? (Total guess) – downside is you could be bikeless for weeks unless you are able to bridge the gap
    Road bike / cx-er (new shoes too though, they could e £75, lycra shorts ?)

philwarren11
    Free Member

Whatever you do those forks gotta go. I got a set of them at 140mm and theyre shit compared to my pikes.

daviek

Well after a fair bit of research today on what I would like I still ended up back at the BFe which I’ll use for a while with my fork until I find a nice second hand one.

So off I set to the Cotic website and the red frame in small has already sold out and they aren’t even off the bloody boat yet! Looks like orange it is then.

Thanks for all the replies and be ready for a “which second hand fork should I look for?” Thread in the near future 😀

handyandy
    Free Member

*cough* as new BFE (granite) in small with an x-fusion 120mm velvet fork for sale (Headset included).

jambalaya
    Free Member

So off I set to the Cotic website and the red frame in small has already sold out and they aren’t even off the bloody boat yet! Looks like orange it is then.

Wow. The Red was what I was thinking about. 🙁 Orange is a classic Cotic colour though

You won’t be dissapointed and if you are then there will be buyers

Stevet1
    Free Member

Personally I’d get a second hand Stanton slackline rather than the BFe, and spend the rest on some decent forks.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘£500 ish …. what to do??’ is closed to new replies.