Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • £500 Hardtail for a mate.
  • Alex

Friend of mine wants to get back into riding. He has an old Cannondale F something that is Looooooong and stiff. And the h/shock is pretty fubar.

He just wants something to ride in the local woods (Shropshire way) and maybe a few rides further afield. Budget if £500 and I was thinking something like a low end Spesh or Giant.

Needs an 18/23in ish top tube.

Any recommendations?

Olly
    Free Member

I was looking for something to fit that a few years ago and got a Giant XtC.

brilliant Value for money, and a 500 quid giant should get you around the area of toras and MPH root brakes (basic, but efficient hydraulic disks) and an LX/deore groupset i reckon…

Olly
    Free Member
    Alex

Cheers Olly, that’s exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of. Amazing value really compared to what you used to be able to get.

thomthumb
    Free Member

second hand?

Alex

Nah he wants a new one. His reasoning being the Cannondale is about ten years old, so he thinks he deserves something box fresh.

woodsa
    Free Member

Hi mate my girlie has just brought a new commencal for a staggering £400. She saved herself 300 pounds off RRP. I too brought my commencal combi s for 680 when it should’ve been nearly £1100. Both came from

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=category&categoryId=6

I was impressed! I think nowadays you can get a whole lotta bike for 500 squid.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

This looks great for the money
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SARACEN-PYLON-8-STREET-CRUISER-CITY-COMMUTING-BIKE-20″_W0QQitemZ250393490579QQcmdZViewItem

alfine hub, disc brakes. 200 quid left for a decent suspension fork and some off-road tyres. very low maintenance.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member
    porterclough
    Free Member

I like my Giant XTC…

Alex

Some interesting stuff there.

The Core 10 looks a well sorted hardtail as well. Not sure about that fork.

I’ll have a browse round the Merlin site as well.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I was overall impressed with the liveliness of the Kona Caldera I hired at Laggan.

funkynick

Have a look at Merlin cycles, they had some Merlin Malt frames with full Deore groupset and a reasonable fork on for about £450…

Or, get to Halfords and have a look at the bottom end Boardman hardtail…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘£500 Hardtail for a mate.’ is closed to new replies.