• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • £50 coffee grinder for stove top espresso
  • sambob
    Free Member

Any recommendations? Hand powered is fine, for grinding to use in a Bialetti stove top pot. Budget can be stretched slightly but not by much. Cheers for any help!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I got a De Lhongi job from Argos for £20, seems to do the job well enough, grinds as fine as the pre ground Lavazza coffee.

maccruiskeen

^Those krupps ones are good for the price – a proper burr rather than chopper / blender types that you usually get for that price.

I was worried it’d be fragile / unreliable for the price but I’ve only just had to replaced it after 5 years use

nickc

It’s up to you, but I wouldn’t bother spending that much on a burr grinder just for stove top, it won’t make a significant difference to the taste

maccruiskeen

It’s up to you, but I wouldn’t bother spending that much on a burr grinder just for stove top, it won’t make a significant difference to the taste

But its useful for when you finally get bored of the stovetop and start making quicker, easier, nicer coffee in a french press instead 🙂

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

+1 on the Krups, or a Delonghi K89 (not used one but read decent reviews considering the price). Alternatively a Hario or Tiamo hand grinder.
    My money would probably go to the hand grinder, not only will the results be better but gives flexibility to take your whole coffee setup on holiday/camping/to work if you wish.

convert

Yep, that Krupps looks hard to beat for the money. It won’t do you proper espresso fine (and consistent) grinding but for what you are after it would be ideal. Some would recommend a hand grinder like the porlex which might see you right for a once or twice a day stove top habit (I started here – I now go through 1.25kg of beans every 2 weeks – it’s a slippery slope!) and is great when travelling but just can’t cut it if you drink in any sort of volume.

thenorthwind

I have a Hario Mini at home and for travelling (I have a Skerton at work which gets a lot more use). As convert says, hand grinding quickly gets boring for more than a couple of cups worth, but if I have to do more I just stick the spindle in a cordless drill 😀

willard

Have a Delonghi ceramic burr grinder at home for just this purpose. It was about 20 quid and is good for the money.

sambob
    Free Member

Cheers all, plenty to look at!

ad3000
    Free Member

Porlex – stainless steel and ceramic. Bomb proof, and can rig it up to a cordless drill for when you can’t be bothered to hand grind. Ordered mine from japan. Arrived in 3 days.

scandal42
    Free Member

Hario from amazon, works well as long as you don’t need to grind enough for more than 2 people in one go.

benp1

How long does hand grinding take? Or maybe how many turns needed?

mike_p
    Free Member

I have a Porlex mini, it’s perfect for a 4 or 6 cup Bialetti.

Not tried the cordless drill trick tho’, but I can see how that might work!

convert

How long does hand grinding take? Or maybe how many turns needed?

About a 100 turns per cup of coffee would be my guess – i.e. to make enough grounds to fill a small one person stove top with stove top size of grounds. Maybe a few more turns if you like to grind finer. About a minute of frapping away looking like you are pleasuring yourself if seen from a distance.

scandal42
    Free Member

A couple of minutes

djambo
    Free Member

I’ve got a delonghi. I found online a ‘hack’ where you add in a spacer under one of the burrs (made form plastic milk bottle). Works a treat. Grinds espresso fine and produces great results with my gaggia.

benp1

Thanks, couple of minutes of furious grinding for 1 cup, thanks, that’s enough for to be out

Grind the beans, put into stove top pot or aeropress, more faffing

I’m going to stick with a couple of spoons of millicano with hot water into a mug. Not as good a product but no faff whatsoever!

Aeropress and preground beans when I’m feeling posh

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘£50 coffee grinder for stove top espresso’ is closed to new replies.