• This topic has 51 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ton.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • 50+ blokes, multivitamins
  • ton

looking for a good quality multivitamin. eat a good balanced diet, a bit too much at times. and may miss some good stuff out.

are they worth bothering with.
    and 50+ blokes on here take em?

good, bad?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ghah! No IMO.

Eat well, drink beer, ride a bit..

Tried the fish oil stuff, but that was a waste, b2 too but again seems a waste.. don’t bother anymore..

Murray

Not me. Cod liver oil capsules only.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cougar

That’ll be a lot of tablets for 50+ blokes.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Cod liver oil, vit C that’s it for me. Vit D makes me feel crap?

Also take high strength magnesium for my heart condition ‘ it makes no difference

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

balanced diet is all that’s needed

somafunk

I don’t take anything apart from 100mg of CBD/20mg THC oil a day for inflammation/neuroprotection (considerable spinal/spinal cord damage & MS), being a veggie who prepares everything from scratch i like to think i get enough of what i need everyday.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

The effervescent ones from Waitrose every morning. No colds at all last winter – probably nothing to do with vits though!

Poopscoop

I take the smart price multi vitamins from Asda.

Under a £ for 2 months worth. Cheap enough to treat them as daft not to take and if I don’t really get a benefit from them I don’t think the ridiculously dear ones would benefit me either.

slowoldman

I go along with the balanced diet idea. However, having never taken multivitamins I have no idea how much better I would feel if I did.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

You’ll only feel better if you’re severely lacking in something. The likelihood is you are not. If you have a balanced then it’s pointless. You’re body can only absorb a certain amount of the stuff so any excess will be going down the toilet. One of the biggest scams of our modern times.

oldnpastit

I’ve been taking Cortexiphan, I find it really helps.

wilburt
    Free Member

Years ago I did some nutrition courses and the tutor told me pretty much what wobbliescot said.

I have been known to take an iron supplement now and then but only when I was feeling down and needing a placebo.

Probs best just to eat your meat and veg.

TiRed

HGH and EPO. All the 50+ cyclist needs. That or mechanical doping. Allegedly.

Tried iron. It really didn’t agree with my digestive system.

epicyclo

Don’t smoke, cut the alcohol right down and don’t eat crap.

And ride your bike.

Murray

The NHS recommends Vitamin D in some circumstances. As a pasty white bloke who keeps covered up in the sun to avoid looking like a tomato I fit the bill.

rone

I take the Wellman mortgage needed ones and they’ve been good for me.

Had less niggles when taking them for sure.

I think it’s too tricky to get your vits from diet alone and we eat very well.

MSP

The science seems to back that most people could benefit from vitamin d and omega 3 supplements, so I take those. I also take a quality multi vit & mineral supplement, minerals are probably more important than the vits.

Non of these are a magic pill, they are not going to suddenly make anyone full of beans after taking one pill, they just contribute to better overall health over time, and for anyone active we are perhaps looking at keeping our health optimal not just getting by waiting for death.

It is also interesting to note that modern farming methods produce much less nutritionally dense food than in the past, even making healthy choices we are not getting the nutrients from the same food past generations were.

Now I am fast approaching 50 I was thinking of seeing my doctor about having a health check every 6 or 12 months including doing a bloods work, to see if I am deficient in anything and to see off any early health problems. I know I can get it done for free every 3 years, but paying for it more frequently is probably a better investment than most of the stuff I waste my money on.

As the saying goes, I don’t just want to put years in my life, I also want to put life into my years.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

COQ10 is something that’s potentially worth taking if you’re older.

StirlingCrispin

Omega 3 fatty acids (fish oil, not cod liver oil).
    Folic acid.
    Regular exercise.

GrahamS

Vitamin D.

Most people in the U.K. would benefit from this. You will not be getting it from your balanced diet unless you eat a lot of oily fish.

Drac

Ah! This is not a Bukkae thread.

Carry on.

ton

Don’t smoke, cut the alcohol right down and don’t eat crap.

And ride your bike.

never smoked. only have a drink on a Saturday now. eat a low carb high protein diet.
    ride my bike more than anyone I know.

poolman
    Free Member

B12 here, get tested for deficiency if u feel tired and lethargic. Some peple like me cannot process it so even if i ate b12 rich food my levels would not increase.

shermer75
    Free Member

It’s all woo, but if it’s a woo that you can get behind then crack on- the resulting positive mental attitude is now understood to have a substantial beneficial effect on your health, possibly because it gets you up and moving about more, which is what your body needs, especially with things like osteoarthritis but a whole raft of other (generally pretty nasty) diseases also

teasel
    Free Member

It is also interesting to note that modern farming methods produce much less nutritionally dense food than in the past, even making healthy choices we are not getting the nutrients from the same food past generations were.

Source…?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve always found that the ones in cool looking packaging work well.

It’s also gauging the price too. Too cheap and you just know they won’t work. Too expensive, well the companies just taking the piss aren’t they !!?!

So for me it’s packaging and price point that give me the best placebo effect, let’s face it who knows what all these vitamins are / do

MSP

Source…?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/soil-depletion-and-nutrition-loss/

There are plenty more sources available, that one is quite brief. To be honest I thought it was pretty common knowledge, I am surprised you were not aware.

teasel
    Free Member

Thank you.

I am surprised you were not aware.

Why would I be…? I’ve got by for the last 50 years on normal food without the need to look into vitamin or mineral supplements.

ton

I only asked because I won a £50 gift voucher for Holland and barrett.
    wellman multivitamins ordered.
    wellman ginseng ordered. 😉
    wellman maca ordered. 😉

iainc

I buy Honegar and molasses from Holland & Barrett, take daily for arthritis. Ranulph Fienes swears by the concoction so if it’s good enough for him….

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I would consign them to the same bin as the Nutribullet and other hocus pocus fitness b****** designed to lighten a mugs wallet.

ton

I would consign them to the same bin as the Nutribullet and other hocus pocus fitness b****** designed to lighten a mugs wallet.

what, like ENDURO stuff and 1 x 10/11/12

Kryton57

wellman

Well you wasted some Money there. A recent test – I can’t find it – stated if you must take multivitamins Boots/Sainsbury’s are just as good.

Its pretty much the same as the Ibruprofen / Nurofen scam

scotroutes

Vitamin D. It’s the autumnal Equinox and we’re now starved of sunshine for 6 months.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Balanced diet seems to be the best. Your body absorbs vitamins better when combined with certain foodstuffs. One of the reasons the Mediterranean diet is so good is the combination of foods. Fish salads oils nuts etc.

scotroutes

How much Vitamin D do folk in the Med get compared to us pasty northerners?

metalheart
    Free Member

It’s the autumnal Equinox and we’re now starved of sunshine for 6 months.

Plenty sunshine today iirc… 😛

TiRed

I make plenty, being a ginger does have some benefits.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘50+ blokes, multivitamins’ is closed to new replies.