Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 50 acre wood -trail builders
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Haven’t been over there for a while but really enjoyed it today. I can see all the good work you have done. Thank you.

neilm
    Free Member

The first and last time I rode there, it was a root’n’rockfest and was thoroughly unpleasant.

Is it worth another look?

Reluctant
    Free Member

I enjoyed pootling through last thursday. There’s less there than i remember, but what there is, is in good nick. Some of the old trails are well overgrown and neglected and i gave the Double Whammy a miss (do people still ride that?) 50 Acre is worth doing as part of your loop between Ash Ct and Leigh Woods i reckon 🙂

boxfish
    Free Member

The first and last time I rode there, it was a root’n’rockfest and was thoroughly unpleasant.

Well, since the trail building in Leigh Woods and Ashton Court, I think it’s important to retain the more natural trails like those in Fiddy Aker.

Ride on the road if you want smooth 😉

nickjb
    Free Member

Its a bit more challenging than the other trails. More natural feeling and more at the mercy of the weather. Riding very well at the moment. Compliments AC and LW well. On a similar note AC is bedding in well and getting a bit bumpier.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“root’n’rockfest and was thoroughly unpleasant.”

But I know what you mean – it can be quite challenging when wet and slippery. It’s old-skool XC tech – trails you have to really work a bike to make it flow. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea in these modern times.

noteeth
    Free Member

It’s not everyone’s cup of tea in these modern times.

It will always be my choice of brew. 😀

fuzzhead
    Free Member

That final rocky descent in 50 Acre is so lush

flatpat
    Free Member

What’s “Double Whammy” then? The route parallel with Weir Lane? Or that quarry bit?

Agree it’s riding beautifully. Been fixed in all the right places. And when slightly damp a nice challenge, especially the contouring bit across the bottom of the woods which is deceptively do-able in the dry.

Mind you, even the orchard trails are riding OK at the moment!

clubber
    Free Member

it was a root’n’rockfest and was thoroughly unpleasant

I love that. Problem was that those kinds of trails were becoming 2m with motorways with erosion. I prefer what’s going on now – decent all weather trails with the above available on less well known trails now that therefore aren’t overused. Selfish maybe but… 😉

neilm
    Free Member

I think it’s important to retain the more natural trails like those in Fiddy Aker.

I’ve been riding mtb’s since 1988 and there was nothing ‘natural’ about 50 acre wood the last time I rode it. I will accept that I was riding a 1990 Roberts White Spider, which is not the easiest bike to ride, but never the less, I can’t say it was ‘fun’ just slippery.

If nothing much has changed, then I’ll give it a miss and stick with the occasional blast at Ashton Court, Leigh Woods and Ashton Hill woods.

ransos
    Free Member

You may find the pump track more to your taste.

I should add my thanks to whoever patched in the worn-out bits. I think I’ll have another spin over there after work.

Reluctant
    Free Member

The Double Whammy ~ bottom end of the wood, parallel to Weir Lane. Not on the track as such, but about 20 yards away from the road is a little rocky outcrop. Drop in at the top, hard left for a few yards, then 90 degree right down the next dropoff. Always used to be fun. 🙂

MrAgreeable

I should add my thanks to whoever patched in the worn-out bits.

That’ll be us! http://bristoltrailsgroup.com/

I’ve been riding mtb’s since 1988 and there was nothing ‘natural’ about 50 acre wood the last time I rode it.

I love the way you get a well-rounded spectrum of grumpiness on here. There’s plenty of less technical riding available locally if that’s what floats your boat, both on the new trails and further afield: http://bristoltrailsgroup.com/route-guide/the-thursday-night-cx-loop/

MrAgreeable

The Double Whammy is still very much in use, not as part of the official trail but there’s a little deer track branching off to the top of it, just before the rock steps where the trail ends at the bottom of Weir Lane.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘50 acre wood -trail builders’ is closed to new replies.