Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • 5 year old won’t even try to take training wheels off.
  • prezet
    Free Member

My eldest daughter went from a balance bike to riding a bike within a few weeks – no problem, off she went.

The youngest however is proving more difficult. I tried to get her on a balance bike from about the age of 3, but she was having none of it… just said “it’s too scary” and went back to her trike. After she got too big for the balance bike I tried getting her onto her Islabike with the pedals taken off, same response, “too scary”, eventually I caved and put some training wheels on as a short term solution just to get her onto a bike – but now she won’t let me take the damn things off.

I tried the other day and we made it about 5ft before she wanted to get off and stop. I really don’t know where to go from here. I’m pretty sure she doesn’t like the lateral movement on a bike and keeps thinking she’s going to fall off so won’t even try.

Any advise here would be appreciated.

fadda

All kids are different, and will go at their own pace.

I’d say just relax, keep cycling with the training wheels on (it’s all cycling, and you really don’t want to put her off) and she’ll want them off in her own time, especially when she sees her mates without…

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

My daughter was the same, she was nervous, even with stabilisers, but we didn’t push it. Her old bike was getting too small, so we said we’d only get her a new bike if she learned to ride. An hour later it was all done and she got a Pinnacle Ash for her 7th birthday.
    I honestly wouldn’t worry about it, but I would say don’t push it and don’t even hint at disappointment, otherwise all bets will be off.

kcr
    Free Member

Is the saddle lowered? You need to have the saddle low enough that she can get both feet flat on the ground. Then she can securely scoot about on the bike and get used to the feeling of balancing the weight, without the training wheels.
    Once she’s scooting without the stabilisers, encourage her to lift her feet and glide for longer distances. Finally you can reintroduce the pedals, one at a time if necessary. Scoot with a foot on one pedal, then gliding, fit the other pedal, then getting both feet on the pedals while gliding and finally pedalling.
    If she needs some assistance to get going, just give a wee push under the saddle from behind, but avoid holding her up, which will interfere with acquiring balance.
    Keep it fun and don’t rush things. She’ll get there when she is ready!

franksinatra

I proudly taught my two eldest to ride quickly and easily, I thought I was a parenting boss. Then my youngest tried and I (very genuinely) thought he had some sort of cycling dyslexia. I posted on here, was suitable told off and advised to get over myself. I did and then, one day, it just clicked for him.

Don’t make a big deal out of it. It will happen when she is ready.

Richie_B

They’re all different (sometimes determinedly so). If you can find a safe bit of gently sloping grass try sending her down that so she doesn’t have to peddle and can use the bike as a balance bike. I’ve got three kids they all had the same bikes and learnt in completely different ways but get to the same place (eventually).

stevextc
    Free Member

franksinatra sums it up ….

It won’t happen until THEY want it to happen.
    However much YOU want it makes no difference at that age.

Mine had a crappy BSO with stabilisers, and showed no interest in biking at all and I’d given up.
    The one day, a couple of weeks after he started school he came home and asked if he could ride without stabilisers would I buy him a proper bike.

I got the rusted on stabilisers off which took way longer than him getting on and pedalling down the cul-de-sac and turning round and coming back. I didn’t even get to capture that moment

If I was to say what I learned …
    1/ Giving up trying to get him into it was positive in the long run, when he was ready he just did it
    2/ Riding a scooter he’d got balance and leaning in turns
    3) It starts costing a lot of money after 😀

5plusn8
    Free Member

My limited experience with 5 year olds (two kids now 9 and 12) and teaching them to ride is that at 5 years old a week is a lifetime, even a day is a significant portion of their lives. Just keep working on building their confidence at their pace. It could all change tomorrow.
    Also sibling/peer rivalry helps. If they see other kids dong it, they will be more motivated.
    However your job is to keep them calm and confident. I’d be tempted to promise you are never going to ask to take them off again, and keep saying come on, lets go for a ride.

MoreCashThanDash

New bike with no training wheels worked for my eldest, excitement of one exceeded fear of the other.

Maybe they just don’t like bikes. Have you had a DNA test? 😃

benpinnick

My daughter was kind of the same, she didn’t learn to ride properly until she was seven as I was a b******* and wouldn’t let her have training wheels. While I feel a bit bad, when she finally decided she wanted to learn as her younger brother could ride it only took a few goes and she was done, using her 20″ wheel bike with no pedals like a balance bike to start.

Her brother on the other hand went from a balance bike to riding when I wasn’t looking, jumping on an older boys pedal bike and he was off. I turned around and there he was pedalling the (far too large) bike down the street with me chasing after him like that bloke with the dog. ‘Felix!! FELIX!!!’

They’re all different as said.

DezB
    Free Member

fadda covers it

oldtennisshoes

If you can find a safe bit of gently sloping grass try sending her down that so she doesn’t have to peddle and can use the bike as a balance bike.

I did this with my eldest (outside the FC centre at Loch Morlich for those that know). It went brilliantly. The only fly in the ointment was when he sent our youngest flying at the bottom of the slope when she showed too much interest.

alchiltern
    Free Member

You could try taking the stabilisers off, then put a long scarf around their chest under the arms with ends and held behind their back and above their shoulders.

Allows them to wobble but you can give enough support to stop a fall. The theory being the child can feel the balance without fear of falling. Did it with our child and friends have had success this way too.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

take the training wheels off or it’s no pudding. obvs

MrPottatoHead

Forget 5 year olds. How do I get my MiL to learn to ride a bike?? Tempted to make a balance bike from parts bin!

alishand

I had the same thing with my daughter. She wanted to learn to keep up with her friends but really struggled. It turned out being a biking mad dad probably didn’t help with establishing expectations and she (and I) got into a total rut with learning – tears, the whole thing.

I quickly learned to get over myself and go at her pace, making sure to praise every little step, console with every scary moment / crash and realise that learning for her was just short sharp bursts, then sitting around thinking about it for a long time!

It turns out that was the key; go at their pace, do what they feel comfortable with, check out your own expectations, and make sure you as the teacher are shining a light instead of casting a shadow. Ultimately it just clicked early one Saturday morning, and I managed to get the footage recorded. Honestly, it was totally magic, and i’ll never forget the look of pride on her face 🙂

coppice
    Free Member

My niece just says “she’s not that kind of girl”. Her 1st bike wasn’t assembled very well though, the tyres were flat, the brakes didn’t work and her mum had fitted the stabilises all the way down so she never got a feeling for leaning/balancing. Maybe just start by raising the stabilisers slowly?

docgeoffyjones

Take the pedals off and let her use it as a balance bike. We we’re lucky enough to be given several old bike so I had one setup with stabiliser and pedals and her bigger bike I turned into a balance bike. Number 4 was quite happy switching between the two. She can ride her big bike fine now ,with pedals, but still likes to take the one with stabilisers out for an occasional spin.

prezet
    Free Member

Thanks all – I guess you’re right, it’ll come in time. I’ve tried most of the things suggested here i.e. lowering the saddle, taking the pedals off etc, but she won’t even try to scoot herself along – just starts shouting that she wants to get off and it’s too scary.

She does however ask to go for rides around the block with her training wheel on, so I guess there’s some interest there … will just have to progress in here own time.

I just feel a bit frustrated as she’s now started school and I’d love to cycle with her (as I do with her sister) on the morning school run. I wonder if a tag along might help her get over some of the fear?

johnnystorm

Same here. Now at the point where bike with stabilisers is too small. First outing with beinn 20 and she hated it. Then the other day when it was raining she demanded to go out and practice the new bike without stabilisers!!!!

So as above, it’ll happen when it happens. Biky Biky vest I quite good I’ve found.

docgeoffyjones

According to my FIL my wife took ages to learn. Then one day she woke up and announced that Jesus had told her in a dream that she could ride a bike.

funkmasterp

My son is the same. Five and still prefers the balance bike he’s outgrown to the Frog with stabilisers. It’s pedalling that he struggles with though. Half a turn then starts going backwards. Patience, praise and only getting the bike out when he asks for it have been the best approach so far.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s pedalling that he struggles with though

Start them with stabilisers and they don’t have this problem.. haha! 😁

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Exactly what Fadda said. My eldest was fine with stabilisers for a short time then we went away in the caravan where he met some new & older kids who’d ditched their stabilisers & was having a great time until he found he couldn’t follow them over rough ground with them on. He ‘told’ me to take them off immediately which I did & off he went without them, & without me holding him upright!

funkmasterp

It’s pedalling that he struggles with though

Start them with stabilisers and they don’t have this problem.. haha!

That is with stabilisers 😕

pothead
    Free Member

Managed to get the nephew (4 at the time) to try no stabilisers by holding the saddle and running along behind him, he could pedal by this point and had been on a balance bike since he was about 18 months tho. I let go of the saddle after about 10 yds but kept running so he didn’t realise then told him I wasn’t actually holding him and that he’d done it by himself, he didn’t belive me. 2nd attempt I held him upright then gave a little push and he was away. Try 2 find somewhere with short grass to start on, nephew wouldn’t try on the road or pavement

DezB
    Free Member

Start them with stabilisers

You said. he’d outgrown a balance bike

augustuswindsock

If it’s any consolation, apparently Chris Hoy didn’t learn to ride ‘til he was 7, he soon caught up!

edhornby

It may also be related to the weight of the bike Vs rider size, my two were closer to 6 before they were ready. They need core strength and leg power to power the bike

senorj

No pudding until the stabilisers are off?

ratherbeintobago

There’s no point in forcing it.

I spent most of a year grumbling about #2 spawn’s refusal to ride without stabilisers, then this summer, at the age of 6, she decided it was time. Within a week she was hurtling about, and within three weeks she’d ditched the little bike and moved up to her sister’s cast off 20er.

The lesson for me was that they will do this at their own pace.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Genuinely amazed by the number of you that put stabilisers or your kids bikes……. On a bike forum….. Goodness.

Stupid pointless things.

Poopscoop

docgeoffyjones

Subscriber
    According to my FIL my wife took ages to learn. Then one day she woke up and announced that Jesus had told her in a dream that she could ride a bike.

I never even knew Geex was female. Or married.😁

alishand

It may also be related to the weight of the bike Vs rider size, my two were closer to 6 before they were ready. They need core strength and leg power to power the bike

There’s definitely something in this. My daughter went from struggling and not really enjoying her Halfords ‘weighed more than my mtb’ princess bike, to an Islabike cnoc 16 and the difference was night and day. She was just absolutely flying and enjoying it so much more – so yeah, strength and weight of the bike definitely comes into it, and it was one of the only times my wife agreed that spending more on bike stuff was actually worth it!

v7fmp

mildly off topic, but is the general consensus that if your child starts on a balance bike, the transition to a pedal bike is one without the need for stabilisers? Or is there no trend with this?

My 2 and a half year old rips on her balance bike and I cant wait until she can pedal her way around, but I would very much like to avoid stabilisers if I can!

RustyMac

Is the general consensus that if your child starts on a balance bike, the transition to a pedal bike is one without the need for stabilisers?

It seems to help, there is no hard and fast rule as such.
    My eldest daughter took to cycling like a duck to water – She got her bike with pedals for Christmas, 3 months before she turned 4, hopped on it got a push and pedaled away. She had the balance sorted from her balance bike and had pedaling licked from hooning around on the trikes in nursery.

It was not quite so easy for her friend who is a couple of months younger, he got a bike for the same Christmas and it took him till the new year and going out a couple of times with my daughter to get going. He is now better on his bike than my daughter.

Nither child used stabilizers.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Genuinely amazed by the number of you that put stabilisers or your kids bikes……. On a bike forum….. Goodness.

Can’t believe it took 31 posts before someone bit! This place is going downhill (pun maybe intended).

I remember trying to teach 5yo son to ride without stabilisers – he just didn’t have the confidence to do it for fear of falling off. That was until his 3yo sister nipped past him without stabilisers! The difference between the two of them in personalities was so obvious, he has always been very cautious and nervous, wheras she will just pick anything up and give it a go, usually mastering it straight away! But once he saw his sister doing it then he was determined.
    Now it’s time for child 3 to try at 4yrs and she panics at the slightest wobble. Can’t quite get the link between needing to pedal to keep going. So stabilisers are back on for now, along with a seperate balance bike which she happily zips along on with both feet up. She’ll get there eventually, no point rushing it and putting her off.

Blackflag
    Free Member

My daughter didn’t get it straight away either. So i just screamed at her loudly in front of everyone else in the park, told her she was letting me down and threatened to beat her when we got home.

That did the trick.

She prefers her mum.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Love blackflag’s post

thegeneralist
    Free Member

but is the general consensus that if your child starts on a balance bike, the transition to a pedal bike is one without the need for stabilisers

If you want your kid to learn to ride a bike then don’t use stabilisers. End of.
    If you want them to learn to ride a quad, and kid yourself that they can ride a bike then fill your boots. And then agonise, like half the posters above, about how you later make the transition to actually riding a bike.

PS. A tricycle is also an excellent option pre balance bike to get the pedalling sussed.

/Awaits good kicking

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘5 year old won’t even try to take training wheels off.’ is closed to new replies.