Viewing 17 posts - 121 through 137 (of 137 total)
  • 5 Weeks to go for new dad… any final tips..
  • ddmonkey

Ah the old breast feeding mafia thing. Mrs ddmonkey tried very hard to make breast feeding work but after several weeks of tortue and constatnly hungry babies we got a breast pump and formula. I actually said that's it I can't take any more of this and went down to a 24 supermarket at 3am to buy the stuff, best decision ever. Don't flog a dead horse. My three top tips would be:

Don't feel guilty about it if breast feeding really doesn't work, it may do it may not, but either way express what you can and if you have to use a bottle do so and move on, its not the end of the world.

If your baby has great discomfort and crying after feeding and this perists then don't just accept "its colic nout you can do". Try a Lactose free formula and see if that helps. Our second was lactose intolerant and as soon as we moved him to lactose free formula he was a different baby.

Finally do work hard to establish a routine after the first few weeks, not in the horrible Gina Ford way but in a regular time for feeds and sleeps way. It will make life easier if you persist.

All the very best! Fatherhood is great and it gets better after the first 6 weeks, honest!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Shave you forearms. If not, she will grab handfuls of hair and pull it out. No point in both of you feeling pain. That's womens' work.

mogrim

Another top tip, avoiding the breast feeding argument: get the kid out of your room asap. A month is fine. Otherwise every little snuffle will wake you up, and every little snore will wake small up. All of you will sleep better for it.

And if baby wakes up and wants something, trust me: you'll know about it.

saleem
    Free Member

Go out together and enjoy your time together as it is completely different once the baby is born, take your missus away for a spa weekend having treatments that she's still allowed to have, she'll always remember that……….THE GOOD OLD TIMES, Good luck with the arrival if I don't see your thread again.

simonm
    Free Member

The BF mafia… christ, I've never been made to feel so bad in my life by those Nazi midwifes… It came to a crunch for us when my Mrs was told to manually express into a fekin cup on day 5 when our daughter was Jaundiced probably due to not getting enough food.
    There is following NHS / Nice guidelines.. and then there is simple cruelty.
    DDmonkey, sound advice m8.

hora
    Free Member

Tinsy, its in a book called Baby Secrets. Apperently he still wakes at 3.30 for one feed (I missed waking up at that time for some reason 🙄 ) but that soon goes. The secret is to express milk ready for his 11pm feed to top up the breast milk allowing him to sleep deeply due to being as full as poss.

TooTall
    Free Member

Having said that a lot (but not all) instances of physical problems can be overcome.

Yes – and even if you are in the 'impossible' group there, the health 'professionals' still run from formula feeding and there is a void of information – which is very disconcerting to a soon-to-be mother who knows it is all she can have. I'm not talking about people choosing not to breast feed here – I'm talking about the people who should provide the information but are in fear of the legislation that promotes breast feeding – totally different thing.

hora
    Free Member

The BF mafia… christ, I've never been made to feel so bad in my life by those Nazi midwifes… It came to a crunch for us when my Mrs was told to manually express into a fekin cup on day 5 when our daughter was Jaundiced probably due to not getting enough food.

Our lad was jaundiced for a worrying while (well for me). The mdiwives were sterling though. No advice just reassurance. I guess its just some of the PCT's training?

Ps. I also asked ours if we could have his ears pierced at 2 weeks old (with a straight face). Midwive laughed. Checked my expression- laughed again then I said 'Im kidding' 😆

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Ah the old breast feeding mafia thing. Mrs ddmonkey tried very hard to make breast feeding work

MrsHeathen tried it for a day and wouldnae do it. Our girl's had formula and is, um, irrepressible, strong, fast and ahead of the other kids in her nursery class – all of whom are older than her. She's my youngest and I can honestly say there's nowt in it between her development and her breast fed brothers. And, to be fair, our midwife was totally cool with MrsHeathen's decision.

She slept in our room for a year and none of us suffered for it (grown up only 'special moments' returned about 4 weeks after the birth so don't believe any scare stories there. Of course, it all depends on how yr mrs is feeling).

The only hard going is colic in the night but here Infacol is your friend. It doesn't get rid of it totally but reduces it massively. At times, the first few months will, however, involve sleep deprivation and the looming spectre of madness.

The book What to Expect the First Year is very good but it's not gospel. Definitely worth getting hold of for alternative viewpoints to those you'll get from friends, relatives and muddleheaded internet 'experts' 😉

The main thing is that children are fantastic and worth all the effort. And, as I type this, I can unequivocally say that I'm actually enjoying Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom….

EDIT: The 'stop playing and eat your breakfast' conversation i've just had has reminded me that they will drive you **** nuts sometimes but even when they do you can't help but love em 🙂

langy
    Free Member

From a whole two weeks experience:

Make food, freeze it. Even if just for you, if the family stays in hospital a while and you get home late from visits (this was way better then pizza/kebab/burgers everynight from takeaway)

BF – your decision, no-one elses; but it does take a knack so give it a good go. However, we subscribe to the "happy parents, happy baby" school of thought.

Express and use a bottle occassionally from fairly early on – this means YOU can feed baby too; bonding for you, brownie points when you get up and feed baby letting mum get some rest/a lie in. If mum is ill, has appointments etc you can keep baby happy as you have the practise and experience.

Do change nappies… I'd never changed a nappy before Grace arrived, although I'd watched our nieces and nephews have it done to them; it's not hard, and needs to be done. Again, no reason you shouldn't be able to take full care if mum is not around for whatever reason.

Make time for cuddle time – it's great for you all!

Make visiting hours known to everyone now; we made it very clear that we didn't want a million people around straight away including mother, sister, brother, etc. All was – and still is – good. They came the day after, short visits to say hi and today (2 weeks on) is the first time since that they'll be here to see Grace. We keep in touch, text, pic msg, facebook updates etc so they know whats going on, but we can actually work out our routine because someone else is not here telling us what to do or not do.

Do remember to talk about non baby stuff with Mum; you both need to keep some sanity and baby gurgling and nappy changing doesn't do that!

You can ride still; just need to be more organised and accept it's not going to be all day long, every chance you get for a while. TBH you probably won't want to anyway.

Lastly, they come in to your life; they know no different that what you show them; they don't have to rule your life, although you will need to make allowances for them.

hora
    Free Member

Food etc etc.

More important. Your partner may seem 'unreasonable' at times. You will come home from work tired and she'll act off with you, throw a 'strop' and you'll have a thought 'its not going to be the same anymore, shes drifting from me' etc etc.

Its not. Its purely the upheaval, tiredness etc. Before- you think 'yes I know this will happen' but in the eye of the storm you forgot this…

So remember, she may come across as cranky and off with you a month or two… its temporary.

simonm
    Free Member

and ahead of the other kids in her nursery class

and don't get caught up in the.. there ahead / behind of walking / talking / weight gain / height gain / crawling / babbling / etc etc etc thing until there much much older…

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

and don't get caught up in the.. there ahead

not exactly caught up just reasonably proud. The main point was that not being breastfed doesn't mean a child will be stunted, sickly and brain damaged which is how some of the more heavy handed pro-breast feeding lobby can present it.

steve-g
    Free Member

skip to the end

I found that having a baby was only tiring initially because of the constant stream of visitors EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Make time for yourselves to get used to things.
    Darkness and silence may help you sleep but babies are used to noise, so music, tele, the hoover or hairdryer or whatever might help littleun sleep.
    Once littleun is a sleep dont put them straight to bed walk around carrying them for 10 – 15 minutes to make sure they are "properly" sleeping.
    Dont get stressed that baby doesnt work with the awake in the day sleep at night routine, just go with whatever happens.

The best thing that happened to me was my missus was out of action for a week with a neck strain after the birth, in that time I went from nervous amateur to seasoned pro, it's all about confidence.

hora
    Free Member

and don't get caught up in the.. there ahead / behind of walking / talking / weight gain / height gain / crawling / babbling / etc etc etc thing until there much much older…

I can clearly remember that I couldn't get the hang of tying my shoe laces. I'm not going to worry too much over the above.

emma82
    Free Member

http://m.youtube.com:80/?client=mv-vf-uk#/results?client=mv-vf-uk&q=michael%20mcintyre%20children&aq=f&oq=

hope the link works, just thought it was a nice take on the whole child development thing although I find the guy quite annoying :mrgreen:

KINGTUT
    Free Member

langy, that is the most sensible post on this thread, 'Grace' great name, We have a 6 week old 'Grace'. 😮

Viewing 17 posts - 121 through 137 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘5 Weeks to go for new dad… any final tips..’ is closed to new replies.