Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 5 Spot owners – Advise on Shock set up please
  • lowey

Hi guys,

My faithful Romic from my 2004 5 Spot is finally about to be replaced by a new 2009 RP23. Now I am completely new to air cans and want to ensure that I get the best out of it on my Bike. I have read the Fox stuff, but to be honest I think that the set up of the shock would be very specific not only to rider but to the Frame on which it is going.

So have any of you guys got any tips for setting the thing up ? All help gratefully appreciated.

Just for the record I weigh 150 Lbs (68kg). My 5 Spot is a large.

wors

Where are you getting it from Dave?

I read somewhere that TFT will set it up for your weight and bike.

oh and 68kg? 🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

68 kg MUST be a typo 86kg?

Will come round yer house and set it up for you.
    Easy and yet complicated – depends how firm a ride you like 😉

Message and linky sent

lowey

Thanks for the offer Junkyard, but coming from someone who forgets to put a chain on a bike I think I'll pass 😛

Wors… got is for less than half the price of TFT. Ok its a 2009 without the boost valve but its still brand new.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Just go off sag as a starting point and adjust to your personal pref from there.

50mm shaft stroke, so you you'll be wanting something like 10-12mm of sag when sitting on the bike (use the o-ring). Propedal should be off too.

Junkyard
    Free Member

my shock and air forks worked beautifully though didn't they?

heihei

As doof doof says, start off by setting the sag. I also use the lightest pro-pedal setting for most riding – some will say you don't need it on an HL bike, but I found it still bobbed. I tend to mash a bigger gear so perhaps that's why.

coogan
    Free Member

It should have a coil! 😀

khani
    Free Member

04 spot here with a 09rp23, 30% sag is great for downhill but felt too squatty climbing, with 20% sag it climbs much better and still flys downhill with pp off, this also depends which rockers you have, ie 5, 5.3, 5.5, push 5.75 because of different leverige ratios, when i spoke to tft shorter rockers work best with medium tune and longer rockers work best with max compression tune,

lowey

Stock rockers.

What does medium tune and max compression tune mean ?

khani
    Free Member

there's a little sticker on the bottom of the air can with 3 bars, the one thats solid tells you which compression tune it is, ie' light, medium, firm, with 5inch standard rockers you probably want a medium tune

lowey

Its pointing to the biggest bar.

How would i go about changing the tune ?

khani
    Free Member

mojo or tft to change the tune but try it first the high volume can on the 09rp23 give's a more linear feel and it may be ok,

khani
    Free Member

forgot to say, if it dos'nt ride right instead of getting it retuned turner were selling old stock 5.5rockers cheap not long ago

lowey

Thanks for your help Khani, but I CBA with new rockers. Perfectly happy with the stock ones.

So you live and learn. When you buy an aftermarket RP23 you have not only to specify the size, but also the compression and rebound tune ?? Jeez, great time to find that out.

Hope its ok, but not putting it on the bike till after xmas. Its a present from the kids to me… I just haven't told them yet.

Swayndo
    Free Member

I picked up an RP23 from a Hustler as back up to my Romic. The Romic has only very briefly been back on since I got it. I'm probably average height and weight for someone on a large 5 Spot at 6' and 13.5 stone (without gear on) and find that 150-160psi works for me.

lowey

Cheers Swayndo, I had no choice really as the damping is almost non existent on the Romic now and you cant get them serviced anymore.

firestarter
    Free Member

ive got the tnt but ive got a pushed rp23 i run it at 120psi iirc with the propedal off all the time im 12.5 to 13 stone in gear

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘5 Spot owners – Advise on Shock set up please’ is closed to new replies.