Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 5 spot DW link problem…
  • renton
    Free Member

Hi all.

I have a problem with the dw linkage on my 5 spot.

The two shafts that go through the linkage are actually stuck to the link plates and I cannot get them off??

I have tried putting the link in a vice and tapping off with a nylon hammer but that didnt work?

I have tried to get a screwdriver between the shaft and the link plate to prize off but cant do it??

It also looks like one of the shafts isnt sitting flush with the plate either??

Is the wear on the inner face of the linkage plate shown in the pictures normal too?
    Any ideas on what I can do?

downhilldave

Should come off quite easily,spray a little Wd40 or similar and let it soak in.Then put the shaft in a vice with some thin cardboard around it if you are re using it and give it a tap. I would use a hammer and aluminium drift rather a plastic mallet, the plastic mallet tends to bounce.A little grease when reassembling will prevent it happening again.The one that is at a slight angle you could tap down first this might help release it.When I did mine it came apart very easily. The wear on the inner face is the same as mine, just dirt getting behind the soft plastic yellow seal combined with the grease from the pivot forming a grinding paste 😯

richmtb

I’ve got a DW link 5 Spot but I’ve never pulled the linkage apart, I just use the grease ports.

Were you taking it apart to replace the bushes because there was some play in the suspension or were you just stripping it down to give it a good clean?

My only suggestion is to hit it harder!

Would heat help.

A kettle of boiling water and a big “persuader” has helped me get similar stuff unstuck

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    renton
    Free Member

I stripped the bike down to send it off for powder coating.

Had the link soaking in gt85 for three days and stuck it in a vice and still no joy?

thewanderer
    Free Member

Do you need it to come apart? If not leave it as it is.

If need to and you’re still having problems give DT a call and he’ll tell you what’s needed. Afterall that’s why you buy a Turner.

mactheknife

Renton. Thats a good point made by the wanderer, do you need to take it apart. if it was working 100% before you stripped it then it should be fine when you reassemble it together.

Are you up at Leuchars now? there is a good bike shop there that might be worth having a chat with the mechanic there.

renton
    Free Member

Well to be honest I don’t really need it apart and it will go back on the frame lIle that with a bit of faff but I was more concerned aboit that one shaft not sitting flush.

rickon
    Free Member

Get on the phone to Greg at Turner in the states, he’ll sort you out.

I’d have thought the linkage would pull straight when you torque up the plates, or the bushings will take up the slack.

What do your bushings look like? are they also at an angle?

renton
    Free Member

rickon… the bushings look fine to be honest.

Ive sent Greg an email to to seek his opinion !!

rickon
    Free Member

The wear on the plates is normal, in as much as I’ve had the same. It does affect how the plates sit though, as the bushings effectively sit inside the groove, and they may pop in and out causing some creaking.

I think the wear is caused by lack of grease, which is due to the rubbish zerk fittings, which dont let enough grease in, causing dry pivots.

I’d give Greg a call, as on email he’s not been that great, but on the phone he was very good.

downhilldave

rickon, have you tried changing bushes? They are a tight interference fit held in position when you torque up the socket cap head screws. They can’t move. The wear is caused by dirt ingress. The zerks are fine if they are the screw in type simply pre fill the air space between the top hat bushings with grease before assembly rotating the shaft to ensure that grease gets down the grooves. It’s a very basic design which requires a clean( strip and re grease)when running in normal filthy UK riding conditions.

rickon
    Free Member

My zerks were incredibly poor, it was definitely dry fittings causing the wear. A chap off stw knocked up up a screw in insert to replace the zerks, since using that I’ve had no noise, less stiction, and no wear.

The zerks on my sultan were even worse than the spot. They bearing is inset so much that my grease gun doesn’t engage it. And that’s a Dualco gun, so had a very fine point.

I’ve changed the bushes, and the pivots too, but the single best change has been the insert turned and welded for me.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘5 spot DW link problem…’ is closed to new replies.