Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • £5 Hot Dog & £9 Burger ? Whhaa!
  • bruneep

slowoldman

dudeofdoom

Hmm I’m lucky my German markets open all year round and has reasonable prices and they let you use little wheeled trolleys 🙂

ads678

That should be required reading for the next “Planet X just cost me £200” thread.

TLDR, but I’m over it now so I’m not really bothered anyway….

Patience is not one of my strong points, hence buying the bike at the ‘wrong’ price!!

jjprestidge
    Free Member

petrieboy

I’d like to think the local councils make some well needed cash from these but I rather suspect that the only people making any useful money are the organisers/promoters who I suspect are a massive national chain

Does anyone know for sure?

It’s a mix – both organisations make money from it.

It’s not a case of the ‘poor cash strapped council’ being ripped off by the nasty capitalist organisers; both are as bad as each other in most cases. I wouldn’t trust Bath Council with Monopoly money, let alone the real stuff.

JP

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Try $14 for a hot dog…

runamuk.com.au

Or go to Freo market and get a Bratty in a bun with onions and all the jizz for $5

spursn17
    Free Member

A friend of mine who had a coffee van (fancy French job) enquired about a pitch at winter wonderland in Hyde Park London quite a few years ago, I can’t remember the exact price but it was above 20 grand!

chewkw
    Free Member

… I can’t remember the exact price but it was above 20 grand! ”

Above £20K!!! 😱

Nutella pan cake a slice is £4.50 in the Xmas market here in the North East. 🥶

Make earning a living much harder …

CountZero

Surely the council knows this is a festive season to encourage as many vendors as possible local or otherwise. Are they trying to money grab as well?

Bath must be doing something right, because the Christmas Market is getting bigger and expanding every year! And while there may well be some generic food stalls, much of what’s on show is from local and regional sellers, with lots of craft stuff.
    Bath is full of places to eat and drink, the vendors in the market are, I’m sure, fully aware of this, and price accordingly.
    I bought some locally made cheeses as part of a present for a mate last year, made in Bath, as it happens, bloody good they were, too!
    That’s what’s so good about it, it allows the general public a chance to see, smell and sample lots of stuff from small local producers, that are otherwise not easily come across.

Drac

I was through the Newcastle one a few times yesterday, it’s astronomically shit. Just utter rubbish no local producers like there were in previous years. going off the very few people we seen bothering with it then I’d hate to be stall holder.

precutduck
    Free Member

Went to the Bury St Edmunds Christmas Market this year and last, there was a noticeable shift towards the more generic, but still some good independent stalls. Didn’t feel very festive either.
    Also went to one at Waddesdon Manor, now that was much better. Unique stalls and quite a few local to the Cotswolds.

Neither had sensible food prices, but the ones at Bury were the generic German sausage people.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We went to Otley Victorian* market the other week & it was basically the same, except one stall that was doing ok selling Lincolnshire sausage ‘hot dogs’, £3.50 with onions & a decent size too.
    Busiest vendor was Weegmans butchers selling their normal pies, sausage rolls & pasties. The queue was out the door.

*Xmas

chewkw
    Free Member

We went to Otley Victorian* market the other week & it was basically the same, except one stall that was doing ok selling Lincolnshire sausage ‘hot dogs’, £3.50 with onions & a decent size too.

That is a good price.👍

Busiest vendor was Weegmans butchers selling their normal pies, sausage rolls & pasties. The queue was out the door.

hhhmmm … pork pies and pasties … hhhmmm … 😀

rOcKeTdOg

we changed our groups annual christmas market ride to Brum this year when we realised the bottled beer they were selling for £5 a bottle was £1.49 for exactly the same thing in Lidl. this year we did a tour of the breweries in Stirchley. the beer was fresh and reasonably priced and Brum brewery, glass house brewery and Attic brewery all let us bring the bikes inside and had street food available to buy in their car parks.

martinhutch

Or go to Freo market and get a Bratty in a bun with onions and all the jizz for $5

Can I have mine without the jizz? I’ll pay extra.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Burger and fries on the harbour front in St. Tropez is €27.drop one street back and it’s €5. Coffee and biscotti in St. Mark’s Square in Venice €35. It’s life.

TiRed

£4000 per week is 115 £5 crepes per day for rent (more for power and location). Assume you have two crepe plates, and are pretty skilled to turn out two every five minutes and I’m being generous, then That would be about 4.5 hours just to pay for the pitch. Materials are cheap, but you’ll need two people, one to bake money and/or finish the crepe and serve.

Your crepe friend isn’t going to get rich but he’s going to be very popular.

chewkw
    Free Member

£4000 per week is 115 £5 crepes per day for rent (more for power and location).

£4k rent/week that is crazy 😱

Might as well rob the livelihood off the people.

Even £400/week is expensive 😒

£50/day is more acceptable and the stalls can pay electricity themselves.

No wonder there are hardly any surviving start-ups as the rent already kill them off before they even have a chance to compete.

Drac

the stalls can pay electricity themselves.

There were complaints about generators so I thought they already did.

chewkw
    Free Member

There were complaints about generators so I thought they already did.

At quayside they use their own generators but not sure about Northumberland street Xmas market. Thinking of it I think some of the big “boxes” might be the generator at the Monument but I am not sure.

Regardless, £50/day rent is much more acceptable.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘£5 Hot Dog & £9 Burger ? Whhaa!’ is closed to new replies.