Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • 5 bikes across van, with underfloor storage…
  • matt_outandabout

So still chuntering about getting a van. mrs_oab is now more convinced having seen a mates Vito dualiner, but does not want the long one and I am not sure that 5 of us and 5 bikes would fit in wee one, unless…
    (after weeks of being convinced *someone* had done it this way)

Or even flashier…

They may even fit more vertically(?) anyone tried this in a Vito or Vivaro/trafic?

Underfloor storage, I am thinking curver boxes on a string to get them out..

geoffj

The bottom option looks doable, but probably depends on frame and wheel size details to be sure.
    You need to add the between padding too.
    I’d try to persuade SWMBO to go for the longer length – is it really going to make that much difference in use?

matt_outandabout

Top one I think is doable – best bit is that mrs_oab and kids could put bikes in and not faff with padding/tying knots etc (an issue in the past 😉 )
    Frames n wheels all 26 or less at the moment, so seeing road bikes in like that made me think an mtb would be fine…

ktmblag
    Free Member

thats a ktm 640 rallye in that van too

tthew

They’re not vans. They’re show ponies.

edit – I put a search in Google images for bike van, to find a pic of a normal van with loads of bikes just lobbed in the back for proof of my assertation. Pretty much every image returned linked back to a nice van from a previous STW thread. So, please move along, Nothing to see here.

matt_outandabout

Agreed, but I have a reluctant wife, who finds getting bikes on an outside rack a challenge (at 5′ and 7st, I would too), and needs a simple, foolproof way of getting bikes stored with help of her and the kids when I am away…

mike88
    Free Member

I have a traffic and i built/laid a Bit of ply between the wheel arches and fitted 2 bikes ala the bottom pic. It worked really well and i could have easily fitted more bikes. Really useful as like you said there was storage space under the board as well.
    Bit of a ghetto solution but works as the moment!

scotroutes

So tell her she’ll have to WTFU and learn to be happy driving longer van. Once you are moving the length difference disappears and it’s only very marginally more difficult to manoeuvre. I’ve offered a looksee/shot of mine in the past …..

tthew

5′ and 7st,

will be a problem I think. I was being a bit facetious, but I doubt that getting bikes up into a van and hung will be any easier than an outside rack, especially if you put a false floor in to increase the height and reach. Sorry.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Getting away from the Show Ponies..
    [/url] IMG_7588 by Mike Smith 79, on Flickr[/img]
    Other way round really, 5-7 bikes under with front wheel out, whatever else stored alongside. Storage above is called a bed 🙂

P20

I’d be reluctant to mount the bikes across the van and clamping them by the dropout. That’s a lot of sideways force that they aren’t designed for

getonyourbike
    Free Member

P20 – Member
    I’d be reluctant to mount the bikes across the van and clamping them by the dropout. That’s a lot of sideways force that they aren’t designed for

I don’t know. Do you release how much force goes into the frame when you pump a corner for more grip really hard? It’s a lot.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Not quite what you are asking but what about a pendle 6 bike trailer? Limited need for heavy lifting and perhaps more flexible than a long van.

br
    Free Member

Surely your wife only needs to pack 4 bikes, as you won’t be there?

So at least bike can be ‘awkward’.

matt_outandabout

It is a fair point at 5′ wife will struggle with a van – but currently bikes are on high rack and roof, on a peope carrier. She is confident that a van is doable, even if we have to supply a step to assist. The kids grow bigger daily as well 😉 Part of the van thing is security, partly the amount of kit we now take with us for hols/day out, partly that a car that does near 50mpg normally only does 30/35 with bikes on, and that we are looking at two canoes, three in future and would need a bigger thing to shift them – and finally my new job involves often shipping piles of kit round with me.

matt_outandabout

Not quite what you are asking but what about a pendle 6 bike trailer?

Not wanting trailer – not secure, reversing etc a pain, lower speed limits, and much more bouncing/damage to bikes.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

matt_outandabout

Yes, but I need 5 or 6 seats….

spooky_b329

I guess the short version isn’t long enough to get the bikes in lengthways with the front wheels off?

If they have to go sideways, might be better to go without the false floor, having the bikes low down will mean there is more width to play with (as the walls taper in higher up) and easier to load. You could put a cargo net above the bikes for helmets and lighter stuff like clothes.

P.S The top picture you think is doable looks like a high roof to me, what are you planning on getting?

st

The first 2 examples look smart but look like a right faff for what you describe are your requirements.

As comment above surely front wheel off and push the bike in length ways is the way to go?

If not then you need a bigger van surely?

poly
    Free Member

the problem with most of those solutions is you have to unpack all the bikes to get to the one at the front. I would want a solution where any of the bikes could be accessed independently.

shifter
    Free Member

The pink Orange pic looks best. If the ply between the arches didn’t come all the way back then you’d have a built in step and the last bike could go on it. Might need some pedals off for all five bikes mind.

Borrow/hire/test one and give it a go.

Matt_SS_xc

Bikes will go widthways in my new shape Peugeot boxer with wheels on. Crew van seats 4 I think on second row of seats.

konabunny
    Free Member

edit – I put a search in Google images… Pretty much every image returned linked back to a nice van from a previous STW thread.

That’s because google returns search results based on your personal search history.

scotroutes

Matt – have you considered selling one of the boys? This would reduce the pressure on space and give you a decent budget to work with.

matt_outandabout

I like your plan, the blonde one will fetch more I think. Anyone?

maccruiskeen

edit – I put a search in Google images for bike van, to find a pic of a normal van with loads of bikes just lobbed in the back for proof of my assertation. Pretty much every image returned linked back to a nice van from a previous STW thread. So, please move along, Nothing to see here.

The problem is if its not a show pony nobody photographs their handiwork and posts it on the web. Heres my ingeniously devised system.

Lean first bike against the side of the van.
    Lean second bike against first bike
    Shut the doors
    Drive
    Open the doors
    The bikes are exactly where you left them

I could post a picture of bikes leaning against the inside of an old sprinter but I think I’ve painted that picture with words. 🙂

matt_outandabout

The bikes are exactly where you left them

Not after the first corner.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ok – throw in a bunji cord.

works fine for me.

maccruiskeen

Not after the first corner.

The thing is… they are – lean them against the side, front wheel against the bulkhead – they stay there. I’ve got a plethora of straps and ratchets for securing stuff I work with – plywood, film flats etc, never bothered to use them with the bikes. They don’t move.

bookwyse
    Free Member

Extra long Viano, same as a vito but better seats and rails in the floor to strap. The bikes to.

Mines got six individual captains seats like these

But you can triples for the rear. More expensive than a Vito but a lot better specked including rear heating,

You can fit he bikes in he back without removing the wheels with only two rows of seats and plenty of room for eight or so bikes. With one of he rear seats in I can still fit five bikes alongside, all be it with the pedals removed.

hammerite
    Free Member

the length isn’t too much of an issue, the height can be. Lots of car parks have height barriers (I tried to tussle with the underground car park at sainsbury’s the other day, we’ll call it a score draw, the van didn’t get damaged, but I had to take evasive action from some low ducting and decided not to risk going further!).

I’ll try and upload a photo of something I built the other day for our van (LWB Vivaro, might work with a SWB too).

hammerite
    Free Member

Bit of a bodge job, this is a prototype, I’ll probably just stick with it, but if I wanted to tart it up and make it look good I could. Could also get 5 bikes in there if I needed to with this set up, without any of the bikes touching each other. The bikes weren’t pushed right against the bulkhead and there is a bit of room at the back too. Lots of height to work with.

MadPierre

We had 18 bikes in a Vito (obviously one with only one row of seats) put in sideways on top of a homemade false floor to fit the beer under for a trip to Morzine!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘5 bikes across van, with underfloor storage…’ is closed to new replies.