Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • 5/6 day walk, Scotland, March what ye got?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

@highlandman sans restrictions on travel, that would be a contender for sure.

@gordimhor
    I’m sure you’ll get down this year, love the Galloways. I start training with Galloway MRT in March, so this would be a good opportunity to increase my knowledge of some lesser known (to me) parts.

gordimhor

One of the best days I ever had on a hill was on Corserine. We had rain sun snow wind hail all in a couple of hours. Turned back still well below the top, more snow and rain followed by sun for the last mile . Satisfaction of knowing that we had made a good decision and still enjoyed the day. Actually I think that would have been about March time. 😄

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Coserine is a wee gem, it’s madness how few people around here even know of it’s existence, yet will drive for hours to get to busy hills that are in no way superior. A mate and I once had a day riding the Rhinns of Kells from Carlins cairn over Corserine and down to Meikle Millyea.

The climb was a push, as was the descent*, but the ride along the top was fantastic.

*With all this footfall recently, it’s now one I want to go back and throw a bike down!.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

So, they’re allowing us to delay until June for this now, still getting the week off work to do it, and hopefully by then I’ll be allowed to travel a wee bit further. 🙏🏻

This appeals, getting the train and going point to point, really like that idea.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=59007

tjagain

I have done most of that route ( In bits) A long way in 5 or 6 days as it goes over some very rough terrain in places

As above I have done loads of point to point by train routes. its the best way especially if you get a hour or two at your final point to stock up on beer and snacks for the train home. so much nicer than driving back

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Spent last night reading an old favourite I ain’t picked up for a while, Storer’s hill tracks, and poring over maps.

Another option that I like the look of would be from blair atholl, taking in the minigaig, feshie, geldue, lairig thru, strath nethy, lairig an laoigh and back via tilt, with some summit excursions along the way.

End of May may be touch and go with ground conditions, but sounds good.

militantmandy
    Free Member

I did Inverness to Glenelg a few years ago. It was mostly superb! I could send you the GPX if you want more information.

The route was the same as what’s shown here, although we didn’t use this company:

http://www.transcotland.com/affric.htm

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

MM looks good, though I’m for biking a fair bit of that this year. Fadda has been on my list for a while, looks awesome.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just plotted the Cairngorms route on OS maps (how much better is it being able to snap to paths in national parks btw?!).

Blair Athol – Minigaig – Feshie – Geldie – White bridge – Lairig Ghru – Chalamain gap – Glenmore – Ryvoan – Bynack More – Lairig an Laoigh – Loch Avon circuit – Derry lodge – Linn of Dee – Bynack lodge – Glen Tilt – Blair Atholl.

Loose plan to camp at Feshie crossing at Creag na Cailich, pools of Dee, Loch Avon and lastly on Beinn a’ ghlo if weather allows.

Works out just shy of the ton, with plenty options to go higher or bail in bad weather. Exciting stuff.

Got my backpacking and sleep kit down to a decent weight now, wee bit of tweaking to do but not much.

Spin
    Free Member

This appeals, getting the train and going point to point, really like that idea.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=59007

That’s very close to the Cape Wrath Trail route. The only major difference I can see is in Glen Sheil.

scotroutes

Blair Athol – Minigaig – Feshie – Geldie – White bridge – Lairig Ghru – Chalamain gap – Glenmore – Ryvoan – Bynack More – Lairig an Laoigh – Loch Avon circuit – Derry lodge – Linn of Dee – Bynack lodge – Glen Tilt – Blair Atholl.

Depending on your plans, let me know if you need any help with re-supply at the northern end. There’s not much in Glenmore.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Thanks SR, had thought about roping in the captain wi a wee parcel, not as if he’s doing much else…. 😂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

So, it’s finally arrived, off on my travels with yokaiser of this parish around the Cairngorms on Monday.

Finally settled on a route that a few have done in one day, but we’ll be taking 5 days and enjoying it – the Rigby round. 75ish miles, 18 munros, 1500-2000m ascent per day, carrying all of our own supplies.

Nearly at £5k raised for save the children too, which my employer GSK matches. 🙏🏻

Pictures to follow….

tjagain

have fun

Tom-B
    Free Member

Pictures please!! Mega jealous!!

scotroutes

Woohoo. Hope the weather is kind.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cheers fellas!

Spin
    Free Member

That should be a great few days. Bloody cold and windy in the gorms this weekend though!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, a friend of mine has been up all week, hes a photographer, not had a great week!.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘5/6 day walk, Scotland, March what ye got?’ is closed to new replies.