5-10's as every day trainers?

• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by  yunki.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 5-10's as every day trainers?
  • Boba Fatt

Do you?

Looking for an alternative to skate shoes and just wondering how they fair

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

I occasionally wear mine and they are a bit too stiff. Okay for pottering about but I wouldn’t like to walk a long distance in them.

Wore Freeriders for a few months of bumming around bike shops as they were free. Comfy enough, if a little stiffer, but the soles certainly took a beating.

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

They make plenty of non bike trainers. I’ve got a pair of aescents that are comfy but haven’t lasted well, before that I had guide tennies which were better.

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Subscriber

Sure why not?

Premier Icon deadkenny
    Subscriber

Which? Impacts would make you look a bit, “special” 😀

Freeriders, as said a bit stiff. The stealth rubber is great for pins to dig into, but not sure about walking. Not much use “off road” walking, maybe okay for around the town. Careful in wet. I’ve found on wet woodwork and the like they slide easily. Plus soft rubber will wear down in no time.

Even the Freeriders are a bit chunky for a normal shoe.

And if you’re using them on the bike and getting them cruddy, it’s going to be hard to keep them decent looking for normal walking about.

Some Vans would make both good trainer like shoes and riding shoes 😉

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

Gone through a few pairs of dirtbags. They start out as quite a decent looking suede shoe for mooching about in, even quite smart (for a given value of smart) get a bit tattier, then the current riding pair gets to an unridable state of sole shreddage and gets demoted to gardening, the “smart” pair gets ridden in, and a new pair comes in on top for “best”. They’re on the soft end, sole stiffness wise, but I like that. And they’ve changed the colours. Not sure you can get these ones any more.

dirtyrider

they do leave rubbery marks on tiled/laminated floors

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

Not much use “off road” walking

ha! no! went for a walk with a mate last winter, lives in Ide Hill, we walked over the fields, down and up to Toys Hill in the dark, me wearing the afore-mentioned. I started to slip, started to run to keep up, ended up running the whole way down at quite a lick, no way of slowing down, milliseconds from cowpat disaster at any moment. How I stayed up, I’ll never know. We got a lift back! 🙂

PMK2060

What a stylish bunch of gentleman

footflaps

These are my everyday wear / work shoe in winter, too warm if it’s above 10C.

Premier Icon davosaurusrex
    Subscriber

I bought some freeriders cheap but in size 12 found them far too flexible for riding. Use them as trainers instead, work well and came in handy a few weeks ago to stand on the roof and repoint the chimney.

Premier Icon Yak
    Subscriber

Used to wear a pair of guide almighty’s as casual trainers, but they were hopeless. Way too sticky, left dirty black marks everywhere and would catch on everything. Nothing looked more ‘special’ than the mighty guide almighty’s.

Awful.

One the plus side, they were great for off-width crack climbing. 🙂

yunki

I wore a pair of red spitfires for a year or so

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘5-10's as every day trainers?’ is closed to new replies.