Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 5.10 trailcross goretex boots.
  • zippykona

How do you get them on, is that as far as they open,am I missing something?
    null

convert

loosen the laces a bit too. One finger in the loop at the front of the ankle, one at the back.

Mine go on no issue now but I seem to recall them being a bit of an effort the first couple of times.

honourablegeorge

Yep,top bit is stretchy, and bit stiff at first

intheborders
    Free Member

There’s an ‘art’ to putting them on, and +1 loosen laces.

Once on, superb – worn them 2 dozen times at least in sodden Scotland, dry feet.

stcolin
    Free Member

I have the non GTX version. They’re a pain to get into, the inner sock is really tight. At least you have a strap to work with!

singlespeedstu

Main thing is to use the pull loop at the back.
    Go on a lot easier than it looks like they will.
    Applies to both versions of them.
    The GTX actually go on a little easier than the others.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Once on, superb – worn them 2 dozen times at least in sodden Scotland, dry feet

Hmmm. Did you actually go outside in them?

Superb isn’t the word I’d go for.

convert

Hmmm. Did you actually go outside in them?

Superb isn’t the word I’d go for.

What does not work for you? My experience aligns with intheborders.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

As wet weather riding shoe, they are pretty good IMO. The grip is decent (not amazing), they don’t feel too odd to wear & they keep my feet dry, not a lot more I can ask for.

I will caveat it with the obvious, sensible comment of I only wear them with waterproof trousers. I’m not one of ‘those’ who wear them in the pissing rain, or after a downpour, in shorts with my socks poking out, wondering why my feet are getting wet…

thegeneralist
    Free Member

they are pretty good

I’d probably concurr with this at a push. Perhaps OK, but definitely not “superb”

Better than most of the options now that TX Tops are so hard to get hold of at a reasonable price.

singlespeedstu

Another that’s had no problem with them keeping my feet dry in combo with long trews.

zippykona

I’ve gone up a size and they feel slightly narrow on the toes. Do they loosen up?

unsponsored
    Free Member

Really happy with mine. I have the GTX and non GTX versions. GTX ones worn with trousers. No issue staying dry.

fooman

After recent wet ride, and after hosing bike down while stood in puddle my feet stayed dry and reasonably warm. The tight cuff keeps crap out which is an improvement on the last version which seemed to be a pebble magnet. The only thing I miss is the lace bungee, pity that’s not still a feature. Find them too warm above 10 C so it could be sweat not water getting in if you are wearing year round, but that’s ok for me I wanted them for winter mainly.

hot_fiat

Sock choice is key to keeping them waterproof. Anything that bridges the cuff will just wick water down inside. Found mine to be brilliant so far.

colournoise

Bit awkward to get on at first, but as others have said, once you get the knack not too bad.

Only had mine since Christmas, but so far they’re by far and away the best cold/wet weather flats shoes I’ve tried.

honourablegeorge

I did manage to get wet feet, when my riding pants got so wet that water soaked through to my sock and down. They’re a bugger to dry out.

boggle

Like the others mention. A proper pain to get on & off when new, but do loosen over time. Good boots tho. Just not sure how long they’ll last.

zippykona

The soles don’t seem very grippy. Do they get better?

cartwheels

I’ve had a pair a few months, they do a good job of keeping the water out though I don’t find they keep my feet warm when it’s cold though.
    Mine also stink of pee already, guess I’ve not done a great job of drying them out.
    I’ve been out in proper wet 3-4 times and they did well, and grip is way better than my older Adidas trailcross.
    Just at shame they’re not warmer and that they honk already!

konanige

Had to pedal through a puddle on Sunday where my feet went under to at least the height of the top lace, can report no water ingress, long trews here as well. tight to get in the first couple of times but fairly easy now.

bigblackshed

I bought a pair to replace my Only What’s Necessary boots for winter warmth. I went up 1/2 a size, they were fine length wise but too narrow across the toes, which was the problem with my OWN boots.

If you want to struggle getting boots on I dislocated my finger trying to put my OWN boots with the winter liners the first time. Brilliant when on, but christ they are tough to get on.

jch13

Wore mine today for about the fourth time and they are now much easier to get on. Fully waterproof too – combined with Fox ranger water pants. Very grippy and comfy to walk in too.

Alex

Yep defo easier to get on after a few wears. I used to use the shoe-horn thing we have but not needed now. Do try and be careful tho as don’t want to rip the cuff.

I’ve yet to go back to my Vaude Moab’s which have been my winter boots for the last two years. So fare the GTX’s have kept my feet dry and warm. They are a lot lighter and a bit more flexible than the Moabs, but nowhere near as warm when it gets properly cold. Also fit isn’t ideal, I find they a bit narrow in the mid foot and wide at the end.

First year for trousers as well. Defo a great combo – ride through a massive puddle, brace for ice cold water into your shoe, doesn’t happen!

MoreCashThanDash

Mine also stink of pee already,

Stop annoying other forum members then, and check your lawn for frozen sausages

andybrad

i like mine, plenty of grip! i do worry about the cuff tearing and am super careful getting them on and off.

cannondalem500

I’ve had wet socks after wearing mine when it has been raining heavily. The top of my socks down to the ankle were dry, so it wasn’t due to water wicking down from the top. The bottom of my socks were drenched and it couldn’t have been sweat unless I’ve got a problem I’ve been previously unaware of. I have a pair of Scott gore-tex MTB shoes and I’ve not had a problem with them. I noticed water coming out of the bottom of the v shaped notches in the sole near the ball of my foot when I jumped up and down. There may be a manufacturing problem with my shoes as there seems to be a gap at the bottom of the v shaped notch where water can get in. I’m going to test them in a tray of water this weekend and then contact Adidas customer services if I find a problem.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Anyone else find the sole a bit thick and stiff?

feed

i like mine, plenty of grip! i do worry about the cuff tearing and am super careful getting them on and off.

The finger tabs are stitched to the lower boots so “shouldn’t” be at risk of damaging the neoprene cuffs. I haul on the finger tabs getting them on and no damage to report.

Northwind

deanfbm
    Free Member

Anyone else find the sole a bit thick and stiff?

Yep, for sure. 5 10s do tend to break in over time but for me they have the clumpy thickness of the old Impact and a bit of the excess stiffness of the terrible Impact VXI- though nothing like as bad.

Not sure how I feel about them overall. The waterproofing’s worked, and is better than my other winter shoes, but they’re not as warm as my Fairbanks and I think not as good allround as the old Guide Tennie. They both have better foot feel for me and no issues with grip, despite neither being a bike shoe. I’m disappointed in them but not massively.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘5.10 trailcross goretex boots.’ is closed to new replies.