Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 139 total)
  • £49.99 for a deore rear mech………………
  • ton

cookeaa you are talking about a 50% markup nearly………

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Handsomedog – Member

That is the new catalogue price. Ian in Devereux Cycles in Ashton on Mersey showed me in the catalogue. Being that it made me go slightly green he refused to sell it me at that price and instead sold it to at cost (£27).
    Top bloke by the way, can't recommend enough for a small cycle shop.

He does always say that you can buy it cheaper from CRC than he can get it at trade.

I take my bikes to Ian and I would say I know him quite well. Really decent honest guy. Could do with putting the kettle on a bit more!;-)He's said to me about CRC being cheaper than trade prices. I'm all for cheaper kit but not at the expense of local bike shops.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

This is a rip-off:

My local bike shop wanted nearly £70 for an XT mech a few years ago, CRC price was about £32 at the time. MRP was about £49.

Chargiing RRP isn't. Or more to the point, it doesn't become a rip-off just because somebody else starts charging less.

markd
    Free Member

See i dont think CRC are killing shops. They attract different types of consumer and i think

Hora – thanks for your comments – i had lumped all that into the catch all "admittedly have all these bills and huge computer resources to finance". I am acutely aware of the expense in both time and money of running/setting up a web store – annoyingly!

Its easy to sell at £21.99 in a sale… as long as you are selling hundreds of them. for your average shop its quite a different matter.

Price matching like with like is fine. Its just very rarely like with like.

markd
    Free Member

Ton – markup and margin are quite different.

ton

markd, i manage a trade counter selling aerials, cctv, satellite equipment.
    the cold truth is pricematch or lose the sale…………. 8)

hora
    Free Member

Its easy to sell at £21.99 in a sale… as long as you are selling hundreds of them. for your average shop its quite a different matter.

Depends, they may actually 'need' to sell them rather than they bought them for £10 each. Plus if they really do source alot of their kit on the grey market- all the warranty returns to them would need servicing by them at their expense.

Running a website shop is very expensive and the running costs raise the more successful it becomes. i.e. problems, refunds, returns, etc etc. All this needs staff and money- far more than a bikeshop employs.

markd
    Free Member

And i operate a growing and relatively successful business based on making enough money to employ staff and provide a worthwhile and high value service to customers.

If i price match i have to lose staff and devalue the shop. My preferred approach (and it was true in my old business) is to demonstrate the value in the price not just the numbers. Some people still want this. I hope to attract them when i open the door every morning and turn the lights on.

Plus i can keep people in employment offering a career, a growth in skills and a life path if desired.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Ton,
    did you have to pay to have BB faced?

GaryLake
    Free Member

RRP doesnt mean the distributor/manufacturer gets 100% of that price. Its a recommended retailer price. I used to work in retail- I know how it works.

Sorry Hora, I was merely under the impression that you thought your LBS was a)lying about the price of a deore mech and b) trying to rip your lad off, which they clearly aren't/haven't, they're merely following the guided retail price.

wors

Have you ridden your pig yet?

ton

andylaightscat
    yes and i bought a deore c/set at the same time

wors
    yes mate. very nice too.

hora
    Free Member

If i price match i have to lose staff and devalue the shop

But if you are asked for a price match on a current product (not a sale item) then surely you will go back to the account manager and asked why is x retailer being able to sell such an item at such a price? You challenge the fecker.
    Blackhorse finance- are all bikeshops charged by black horse for this service? I was in one place that was paid a commission on a sliding scale for selling the finance to customers.
    Im NOT having a go- just saying. My GF used to work as a Buyer (and still works in the industry) and is abit rude sometimes with her suppliers and tells them what price they need to give her.

On CRC- They werent always big. How did they become big?

Sorry I am NOT having a go- I beleive suppliers/distributors will always try to protect their money as well.

wwaswas

"why is x retailer being able to sell such an item at such a price"

because they choose to.

importers cannot force shops to sell at a certain price. Even 'recommended' prices are frowned upon now.

if shop xyz chooses to sell soemthign at a loss because they know pwople will buy a chain (or whatever with it) to make up a bit of profit then they can.

you don't shout at Sainsburys for sellign shampoo on a bogof when your local pharmacy has it full price.

markd
    Free Member

wwaswas speaks sense.

"But if you are asked for a price match on a current product (not a sale item) then surely you will go back to the account manager and asked why is x retailer being able to sell such an item at such a price? You challenge the fecker"
    Believe me – i love a good moan down the ear of suppliers 😉 The trouble with this is though i am not buying hundreds. i only buy 10s.

antigee

i manage a trade counter selling aerials, cctv, satellite equipment.
    the cold truth is pricematch or lose the sale

if products and services are undifferentiated then that is true and even if you get the sale you may lose the customer but this does assume that price is the only thing that attracts customers

convenience, availability, knowledge, service, people all feature
    in this case availability and convenience should have got a premium price
    if the LBS was run by a plumber then he'd have charged the kid double the RRP if the kid had coughed "my dad needs this for a ride tomorrow"

as to the cold truth that customers expect pricematch – if there is nothing unique you offer and the customer will travel elsewhere and/or be inconvenienced waiting for deliveries and the customer knows you will price match then you will price match
    if you can convince yourself that you don't need to pricematch you probably don't need to

and all the stuff about online businesses having higher costs than traditional retailers is bollox

Gruenermoench
    Free Member

The cheapest place in Europe for Shimano gear is Actionsports in Germany.

http://www.actionsports.de/Schaltwerke:::585.html?XTCsid=68ce0ed4879b0d6f9d06a80abb900f2a

I do feel sorry for the smaller shops, they just can't compete with the mail order giants that are able to order in bulk and pass the savings onto the customer.

wwaswas

are German forums chock full of posts about how actionsports are killing the LBS?

oldgit
    Free Member

I think we're having to get used to the idea of paying the price that goods are actually worth.
    Times are hard, material costs are rising and the LBS is entitled to earn a living. If he can't make a living he wont be there next week. Then the likes of CRC won't need to compete, prices will rise and you won't have the choice.
    The LBS has to sell a fair few Deore mechs to make a living selling stuff like that in order to be there and have one for our convienience. That probably only covered the tea and milk for a day!

Now if you want to talk to an oldtimer about how expensive kit was thirty years ago then fire away. And I don't mean relatively speaking.

Gruenermoench
    Free Member

I've no idea, German forums are quite disturbing humourless places that are best avoided.

PJay
    Free Member

Interestingly I saw a similarly price Deore mech. in Halford today and I would have thought that they had significant buying power.

oldgit
    Free Member

Question, would CRC or similar order a special Shimano spoke for the very wheel they sold me? There's certainly no Shimano spokes on their site (not having a go at CRC BTW)?
    It's Wednesday I've got a broken Aero spoke and I'm competing Sunday, would (and I ask because I don't know) CRC get one for me.
    I know my man did, fitted and trued ready to go for the weekend. That's worth £££££'s
    The power at peoples fingertips goes to their heads, but I bet those same people nip into the shop to try the bike for size before buying online.

ziggy
    Free Member

Just looked on CRC, that's Deore M531 which is now discontinued, replaced by M591. The CRC price is less than I would pay trade. Price for the newer version is £44.99 strangely.

Drac

It's Wednesday I've got a broken Aero spoke and I'm competing Sunday, would (and I ask because I don't know) CRC get one for me.

I'd ride it as it is a spoke won't much difference and the chances of needing truing would be slim or simple enough to do yourself.

hora
    Free Member

Two types of customers.

Bike savvy – internet ordering
    New bike customers and 'learning' customers – shops
    Emergency purchases – if your entering a race arent you supposed to be prepared and have training wheels and a backup pair anyway?

What worries me more is the big retailers who could offer lower prices but dont. They take the full retail where possible. Possibly to fund their expansion but still. Cough Cyclesurgery cough Evans.

Going back to the first bit. If you get into biking you know what you want and you know how to fit it generally. Plus you know where to eeek out your wage as much as possible.

Please dont look 'down' on the cyclist who choses the internet. He would have given ample custom to the bike shops in his time. I know I did. So I've done my 'service'. Its not to say I dont use local bike shops. I bought my current forks from less than 4miles away and my frame was bought new from a bikeshop in surrey (friend of a friend sold it to me).

racing_ralph
    Free Member

slx is only 30 quid

rolfharris
    Free Member

I'll warn you now, I've had a nasty day at work and might get unreasonable.

We had a girl in the shop today (asian, they almost alwasy are). She needed a new pair of brake levers, a new inner tube and us to fit them.

She wanted it done for £20. I'm sorry, but that's impossible. Sure we can sell her the bits for that little but we need money to fit them. I spend time in the workshop, I need paying. The tools I use need paying for. The electricity needs paying. And she kept demanding it cheaper. It's unreasonable. If you don't want to pay that much for it, then you can't have it.

I'll usually do good deals for nice customers but if I did it for everyone, the shop'd make no money. That's why a lot of bike shops shut- being TOO nice. As ton well knows, I'll do good deals if I can, but I need a job.

ton

they were trying to have one over on the young lad……….end of.
    local bikeshops are dying for the very same reason.
    charging too high prices for crap service.
    their days are numbered, soon to be swallowed up by bigger and better internet shops.

😯

vinnyeh

What worries me more is the big retailers who could offer lower prices but dont. They take the full retail where possible. Possibly to fund their expansion but still. Cough Cyclesurgery cough Evans.

Why is that a worry? Why should they offer lower prices? Cyclesurgery (and to a lesser extent Evans) are both city centre based businesses- or the retail outlets are anyway- and are doing just dandy at the moment. Similarly to Jessops a few years back. Though probably a lot more sustainable

CRC aren't all sweetness and light- in the 90's when they were still had a shop, I drove the length of NI to get a replacement for a trashed race wheel in a hurry, and surprise surprise, it cost a fair bit more than it would have done had I bought it from them on the internet no matter what I said to them.

vinnyeh

local bikeshops are dying for the very same reason.
    charging too high prices for crap service.

I don't understand how charging retail price is having one over… or why this is poor service?

ton

😯 should have been 😉 luke

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Ton,
    ooh in that case they're a bunch of robbers

simondbarnes

ton – Member

No they weren't, as many people on this thread have pointed out. Stop being a cock.

trail_rat
    Free Member

simondbarnes – you da man

nothing like someone opinionated …. esp when they are wrong.

the shop were only charging RRP – thats reccomended retail price – not "price made up on the spot for the young lad"

never mind – next time you want the part to go ride that night – your local shop will probably be gone so you wont have to worry about them pulling one on the little guy and youll have to wait

BoardinBob

I’d be surprised if they made a fiver on the final £40 price they charged you

Most companies would kill for a 12.5% profit margin

DaveGr
    Free Member

I always try to buy off lbs as I pop in there for a chat most weeks, get good deals, things get sorted if I need to – like realising a bushing is worn in the rear shock and calling in on the way to Wales for a weekend away and getting it fixed there and then. I don't mind paying a little extra if that's what they want for the extra service I get.

But, chatting with them over the Merlin sale prices and the stuff I wanted was cheaper than they could get it. They are OK with me buying from Merlin as they understand the way of the World. Speaking to a guy at Merlin they said they work on margins depending on where they get the stuff from.

IMO the internet has opened up choice for people. 25 years ago I had the choice of a few local bike shops and limited stock compared to todays choice. And also most people expect to pay less that rrp for everything – I certainly do. IMO what shops have to do is offer something above and beyond the basic price and this is not just bike shops but other shops on the highstreet.

oldgit
    Free Member

1981 Cheap Campagnolo rear mech (the Rally) was £36.25 So stuff still feels cheap nowadays.

Kramer
    Free Member

My problem with bike shops is not the price, it's the amateurish service that you generally receive. When I drop a bike off to be repaired, and I'm told that it'll be ready on a certain date, that's what I expect, and if it's not going to be ready for some reason, I expect to be rung to be told why not. I also expect that if they say they're going to order something, then that's what they're going to do, not to have to be reminded about it 3 or 4 times before they finally get round to it.

Now unless it's a really big job, I'll buy the tools and learn how to do it myself.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

OK we

d like to ask who here would actually pay,£50 of there own hard earned money for a deore rear mech?
    Not me.

hora
    Free Member

Most companies would kill for a 12.5% profit margin

Your kidding right? So the distributors are taking the lion share?

Make a fiver on a £40 sale. I would go into something else if that was the case.

Its true though, for a good customer/shop relationship you need price AND service. You cant sell one without the other. Its impossible.

BTW- I've owned my XTR rear mech since 2001.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 139 total)

The topic ‘£49.99 for a deore rear mech………………’ is closed to new replies.